Old October 26th 17, 07:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail transition

In message ial2vc9djib3ciqrs1dlot7or7c2o8gnkc@None, at 21:27:54 on
Wed, 25 Oct 2017, Arthur Conan Doyle remarked:
FWIW, my US issued cards work fine as Oyster cards.

I can use my US issued Visa card to top up my Oyster card at an Oyster terminal
in the station, and I can enter it as a payment card on my Oyster account web
page, but when I attempt to actually top up my Oyster card, the transaction
fails. It also failed last week when I attempted to use the same card through
Android Pay on my phone.

Interestingly enough, when I tried my Amex card, I actually got an alert from
AMex stating that they had processed the transaction, but it never actually
completed on the Oyster end and failed the same way.

Do any of those combinations work on the *gates* as an Oyster
substitute?

Old October 26th 17, 08:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 19:35:22 on
Wed, 25 Oct 2017, Richard remarked:

As a much travelled businessman (in general terms) I can assure you that
the lack of a paper receipt/ticket to attach to my expenses claim is a
huge disadvantage.

Like Neil, mine are on-line.

How do you get the dozens of transport operators you only use once a
year to push the receipts to this online system? And no, I'm not going
to set up accounts with Obscuristan bus company ahead of travelling to
facilitate it.

That's a good point, but I might not bother for small amounts, and
equally my company might not need evidence in these cases, I haven't
checked.

Big companies are different because they can negotiate what's called a
"dispensation" with HMR&C to pay up to certain[1] daily amounts in
travel and subsistence, and are allowed to self-police the receipting
process (where it helps if they have an internal published scale). This
doesn't apply to smaller companies and particularly not the self-
employed.

Anything major is paid by the company, using a corporate
booking tool that finds hotels at prices more than I could get, but
oddly finds cheap flights.

That's not especially odd, and sounds like a legacy hotel booking system
which are legendarily captured by rack-rate deals with specific chains -
partly justified by saving time having to research and negotiate each
night's stay individually. Tacking on airline flights suffers (from the
tool's point of view) from the greater transparency of third party price
comparison sites, so people can see if the fares are as outrageous as
the hotel rooms often are, plus the (literally) ticket-price can be up
an order of magnitude higher, so the buyers are more alert to possible
savings.

Richard.

[1] There's big table sorted by country, and sometimes with extra
entries for capital cities etc where it's accepted that prices are
higher),
Old October 26th 17, 01:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

Do any of those combinations work on the *gates* as an Oyster
substitute?

Unfortunately they aren't RFID cards, so no.
Old October 26th 17, 01:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message nfl3vc5hnh6iu8it9bm10horjpqj2s1u90@None, at 06:33:13 on
Thu, 26 Oct 2017, Arthur Conan Doyle remarked:

Do any of those combinations work on the *gates* as an Oyster
substitute?

Unfortunately they aren't RFID cards, so no.

That confirms one of my suspicions - not as many foreign issued
contactless bank cards as people assume.

But surely the Android-Pay *emulates* a contactless card.
Old October 26th 17, 06:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26.10.2017 6:27 AM, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
John Levine wrote:

FWIW, my US issued cards work fine as Oyster cards.

I can use my US issued Visa card to top up my Oyster card at an Oyster terminal
in the station, and I can enter it as a payment card on my Oyster account web
page, but when I attempt to actually top up my Oyster card, the transaction
fails. It also failed last week when I attempted to use the same card through
Android Pay on my phone.

Interestingly enough, when I tried my Amex card, I actually got an alert from
AMex stating that they had processed the transaction, but it never actually
completed on the Oyster end and failed the same way.

I use my Amex for contactless on TfL whenever I'm in London. Works fine.

They sent an alert to say they processed the transaction? That's unusual.
I occasionally get an alert to say they didn't process a transaction, but
if I reply to confirm it was indeed intended you can retry. In fact, since
it happened to me only last week I can paste the exact messages:

"Amex Fraud Alert: Did you just attempt a charge for 25.88 USD on Card
ending XXXXX at YYYYYYYYYYYYYY? Reply 1 if Yes, 2 to speak to Amex'"

"Thank you. Please re-attempt the charge now. The security concern is now
resolved and your Card is available for use."

If they alerted me every time they processed a transaction that would be
jolly irritating....

Old October 26th 17, 07:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

But surely the Android-Pay *emulates* a contactless card.

Yes - and that's why I had hopes that the gates would recognize it. In fact, I
had no problems using Android Pay at any number of London retail locations.
Old October 26th 17, 07:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clank wrote:

If they alerted me every time they processed a transaction that would be
jolly irritating....

This wasn't a fraud alert - I had my account set to alert on international
transactions. Unfortunately, my Amex isn't an RFID card.
Old October 27th 17, 07:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thursday, 26 October 2017 19:27:32 UTC+1, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
Clank wrote:

If they alerted me every time they processed a transaction that would be
jolly irritating....

This wasn't a fraud alert - I had my account set to alert on international
transactions. Unfortunately, my Amex isn't an RFID card.

Another mystery solved.

Old October 27th 17, 11:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017-10-26 17:00:25 +0000, Clank said:

If they alerted me every time they processed a transaction that would be
jolly irritating....

Some of the new-breed mobile-only banks like Monzo do. I don't find it
that annoying, it's just a buzz in your pocket from the app
notification each time you spend. You don't have to delete it or
anything, just ignore it.

Neil
--
Neil Williams