Old October 16th 17, 09:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oxford to London commute

In article , (Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

On 15/10/2017 07:41,
wrote:
In article ,
(Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

Does it matter who cycles or not? I work from home overlooking CS3
between Tower Hill and Canary Wharf. It is absolutely obvious that
the number of cyclists drops during bad weather.

You appear to be so blinkered about cycling to the point of implying
I am lying about what I see - is that really your intention?

You are so blinkered about cycling that you say it isn't a viable means
of transport when it's raining, despite telling us there are still lots
of cyclists when it rains, even if not as many as when it's dry. THAT'S
what I call irrational anti-cyclist prejudice.

Well that will teach me to argue with the someone who I correctly
called out as blinkered - I never made a statement of that type, all
I did was state an observation that the number of cyclists on a
particular route (which, according to statistics, is the busiest in
the UK) drops dramatically during inclement weather.

For the record I am neither anti-cyclist (please cite where I said I
was, or even that I'm not a cyclist?) or irrational - the only
irrational person here appears to be someone else.

You were one of several here determined to ignore a cycle commuting option -
in Oxford!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old October 17th 17, 02:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 13:15:51 +0100, Graham Harrison
wrote:

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 17:30:57 +0100, GeorgeK
wrote:

Thank you all for your replies. My wife doesn't drive but we are willing
to live on the suburbs of Oxford provided that she can take at least the
bus to work which is at the city center. We are mainly interested in
living near a city with certain amenities (restaurants, bars, shopping
street, etc).

The idea of staying at Headington doesn't sound bad as it seems to be
less than 30min from the city center by bus. From your replies, it
seems that the 6th zone (Ickenham, Hillington or Rickmansworth) is the
closest I can get by car to London before being stuck in the jam.

When I checked the commute from Didcot to London by train it wasn't
faster (or cheaper) compared to Oxford. You reckon that Didcot would be
more convenient though?

I wonder if taking the Oxford/London bus as far as Hillingdon and then
the tube would work?

Alternatively, find somewhere to live within easy reach of Hillingdon.
OK, that area isn't the most interesting part of London but it does
have restaurants, cafes, supermarkets and it's relatively easy to get
to Oxford or London

An attitudinal headshake! Why in these days is it imperative to have
ready access to restaurants, cafes et al in an 'interesting' part?

One emabarks on a career... it offers opportunities... creates
challenges...

You and partner (of whatever description) agree/submit to domestic
limitations. Maybe you live in the boonies for x-years within a
bedsit and mattress on the floor... eat macaroni and cheese at
infinitum...

This expectation of Starbucks at however many GBP a cappuccino...
smart wine bars to wile away evenings... is ridiculous.

And "IF' you can afford them, you already have way more wealth than
needed to survive.