Old October 15th 17, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oxford to London commute

In message , at
10:13:57 on Sun, 15 Oct 2017, Robin remarked:

I did not see anything which amounted to a statement that cycling
"isn't a viable means of transport when it's raining".

It's not viable for everyone. I gave up cycling from home to the station
when I was living in Cambridge because there was nowhere to store
helmets and waterproofs at the station, and both my regular clothing and
'hand baggage' weren't expendable enough to get wet.
Old October 15th 17, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15/10/2017 07:41, wrote:
In article ,
(Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

Does it matter who cycles or not? I work from home overlooking CS3
between Tower Hill and Canary Wharf. It is absolutely obvious that
the number of cyclists drops during bad weather.

You appear to be so blinkered about cycling to the point of implying
I am lying about what I see - is that really your intention?

You are so blinkered about cycling that you say it isn't a viable means of
transport when it's raining, despite telling us there are still lots of
cyclists when it rains, even if not as many as when it's dry. THAT'S what I
call irrational anti-cyclist prejudice.

I worked in an organisation in Cambridge where 'probably' the majority
cycled to work. I knew of nobody who changed their mode from cycling in
bad weather. {There is no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing} I
did have different shoes & sandals at work, and if it were raining hard
I'd take a spare pair of socks. Yes 'optional' trips by bike will drop
in bad weather. I'm now retired so would change shopping day if weather
bad. A higher percentage of trips than you might expect are optional. I
know from a previous job that congestion is worse on wet days, even in
towns/cities with few commuting by cycle (eg Sheffield). Getting
accurate data is difficult. I tried... Both the rain gauge and cycle
counter data I was given were clearly in error when closely examined.
Getting better data to repeat excercise is on my 'to do ' list.

Old October 15th 17, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jim Chisholm wrote:
I worked in an organisation in Cambridge where 'probably' the majority
cycled to work. I knew of nobody who changed their mode from cycling in
bad weather. {There is no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing} I
did have different shoes & sandals at work, and if it were raining hard
I'd take a spare pair of socks. Yes 'optional' trips by bike will drop
in bad weather. I'm now retired so would change shopping day if weather
bad. A higher percentage of trips than you might expect are optional. I
know from a previous job that congestion is worse on wet days, even in
towns/cities with few commuting by cycle (eg Sheffield). Getting
accurate data is difficult. I tried... Both the rain gauge and cycle
counter data I was given were clearly in error when closely examined.
Getting better data to repeat excercise is on my 'to do ' list.

It's a bit easier these days because you can look at the detailed forecast
and the rain radar and say 'I'll go now before it rains' or 'I'll wait half
an hour for it to pass', in the same way you can look at live departure
boards before setting out and adjust your journey if there are delays.

Theo
Old October 15th 17, 05:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 17:51:28 on Sun,
15 Oct 2017, Theo remarked:
[...]

That assumes a degree of flexible working (and flexible family life)
which not everyone enjoys.
Old October 15th 17, 05:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15/10/2017 13:56, Jim Chisholm wrote:
On 15/10/2017 07:41, wrote:
In article ,
(Someone
Somewhere) wrote:

I worked in an organisation in Cambridge

And we're back talking about Cambridge again - this is uk.transport.LONDON

Old October 16th 17, 12:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 17:30:57 +0100, GeorgeK
wrote:

Thank you all for your replies. My wife doesn't drive but we are willing
to live on the suburbs of Oxford provided that she can take at least the
bus to work which is at the city center. We are mainly interested in
living near a city with certain amenities (restaurants, bars, shopping
street, etc).

The idea of staying at Headington doesn't sound bad as it seems to be
less than 30min from the city center by bus. From your replies, it
seems that the 6th zone (Ickenham, Hillington or Rickmansworth) is the
closest I can get by car to London before being stuck in the jam.

When I checked the commute from Didcot to London by train it wasn't
faster (or cheaper) compared to Oxford. You reckon that Didcot would be
more convenient though?

I wonder if taking the Oxford/London bus as far as Hillingdon and then
the tube would work?

Alternatively, find somewhere to live within easy reach of Hillingdon.
OK, that area isn't the most interesting part of London but it does
have restaurants, cafes, supermarkets and it's relatively easy to get
to Oxford or London for an evening out or shopping. Then both of you
could go to Hillingdon and commute in opposite directions.