Old October 21st 17, 02:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Abbey Wood station

Rebuilt station to open (Southeastern platforms only) "October 2017" -
has it opened yet?

Old October 21st 17, 11:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Saturday, 21 October 2017 02:26:19 UTC+1, Basil Jet wrote:
Rebuilt station to open (Southeastern platforms only) "October 2017" -
has it opened yet?

Supposed to be 22 October but not all facilities e.g step free access will be ready. I suspect there will still be a fair bit of finishing off to do in various bits of the station and the public realm outside.

--
Paul C
via Google
Old October 23rd 17, 11:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 2017\10\21 02:26, Basil Jet wrote:

Rebuilt station to open (Southeastern platforms only) "October 2017" -
has it opened yet?

Thanks for the two different dates supplied by two different repliers in
the two different newsgroups ;-)

Has it opened now?

BTW, does anyone else think it's a disgrace that Custom House and Abbey
Wood stations are open to the elements? I can see a good reason to leave
new diesel stations like Ilkeston roofless, but I think there's no
excuse to leave brand new Crossrail stations roofless. A new library or
church would not be roofless - even Wembley Stadium has a roof. Canopies
protect against the rain but not against the cold.
Old October 23rd 17, 11:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2017\10\21 02:26, Basil Jet wrote:

Rebuilt station to open (Southeastern platforms only) "October 2017" -
has it opened yet?

Thanks for the two different dates supplied by two different repliers in
the two different newsgroups ;-)

Has it opened now?

BTW, does anyone else think it's a disgrace that Custom House and Abbey
Wood stations are open to the elements? I can see a good reason to leave
new diesel stations like Ilkeston roofless, but I think there's no
excuse to leave brand new Crossrail stations roofless. A new library or
church would not be roofless - even Wembley Stadium has a roof. Canopies
protect against the rain but not against the cold.

Abbey Wood isn't roofless. Also, the Elizabeth line trains will be so
frequent that no-one will be standing on the platform for long.

Old October 23rd 17, 12:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 23/10/2017 11:40, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2017\10\21 02:26, Basil Jet wrote:

Rebuilt station to open (Southeastern platforms only) "October 2017" -
has it opened yet?

Thanks for the two different dates supplied by two different repliers in
the two different newsgroups ;-)

Has it opened now?

BTW, does anyone else think it's a disgrace that Custom House and Abbey
Wood stations are open to the elements? I can see a good reason to leave
new diesel stations like Ilkeston roofless, but I think there's no
excuse to leave brand new Crossrail stations roofless. A new library or
church would not be roofless - even Wembley Stadium has a roof. Canopies
protect against the rain but not against the cold.

Fortunately you shouldn't have to spend as long at a Crossrail station
as you may have to do so in a church or library (or stadium).

Even if you're waiting for a train to a particular destination surely
you can always get the first train that arrives and then wait somewhere
underground where it obviously has a roof (and probably will be as
stifling as many of the Underground stations are. In fact it always
puzzles me why people don't do this as a matter of course - given the
occasional flakey nature of transport, surely getting nearer to your
ultimate destination has to be a good thing?

Now, there have to be good arguments for cabriolet trains - why don't
they exist?

Old October 23rd 17, 02:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Someone Somewhere wrote:

Now, there have to be good arguments for cabriolet trains - why don't
they exist?

They do on the Bristol Harbour Railway, the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway,
Blackpool Tramway, Crich Tramway Village and on a select few other tramways
worldwide

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Old October 23rd 17, 05:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Bob Bob is offline

Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2017\10\21 02:26, Basil Jet wrote:

Rebuilt station to open (Southeastern platforms only) "October 2017" -
has it opened yet?

Thanks for the two different dates supplied by two different repliers in
the two different newsgroups ;-)

Has it opened now?

BTW, does anyone else think it's a disgrace that Custom House and Abbey
Wood stations are open to the elements? I can see a good reason to leave
new diesel stations like Ilkeston roofless, but I think there's no
excuse to leave brand new Crossrail stations roofless. A new library or
church would not be roofless - even Wembley Stadium has a roof. Canopies
protect against the rain but not against the cold.

Abbey Wood isn't roofless. Also, the Elizabeth line trains will be so
frequent that no-one will be standing on the platform for long.

Unless you are waiting for a Gillingham train, which are half-hourly. Of
course the old Abbey Wood station had far less shelter than the new one and
people still waited for those trains in the past.

Robin