Old October 24th 17, 10:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Paddington C5 program

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 11:01:55 +0100, Someone Somewhere
wrote:

On 24/10/2017 09:43, wrote:
A series about Paddington station started last night. They showed video of
the HST derailment there along with recovery efforts which was pretty
interesting and enlightening (especially the poor track workers having to
work in human waste). Apparently the cause was track spread due to rotten
sleepers. You'd think someone might have checked but I guess they didn't expect
much to happen at 5mph.

Strangely enough it was one of the few bits of TV I've watched recently
and I agree it was pretty interesting.

I do wonder with Paddington (and other covered stations where there will
be no weather to deal with the waste) whether it would be possible to
have installed some form of drainage underneath where the toilets are
when the train stops (I know it's not exact, but some kind of trough in
the rough location with a flushing mechanism could do the job and not
leave it festering).

I woukd have thought it would be an ideal location for concrete slab
track. They could have put a drainage channel up the middle so it
woukd just need a quick hose down. The program mentioned having to
break up concrete to remove the sleepers anyway. Anyone know why
timber longitudinal sleepers are in use in parts of Paddington?

---
http://www.avg.com

Old October 25th 17, 08:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:04:54
on Tue, 24 Oct 2017, remarked:
[...]

Or of course retrofit the trains with storage tanks....

I don't know about Paddington but I've seen large metal trays in the 4 foot
at other stations, presumably to catch some of the debris. However, the
Paddington derailment was out of the platforms

No it wasn't:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/08/20/train-...leaves-london-
paddington-station-6865539/

so trays in the platforms wouldn't help, presumably.

Old October 25th 17, 11:03 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 14:08:53 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 12:09:41 on
Tue, 24 Oct 2017, remarked:

Or of course retrofit the trains with storage tanks....

What trains are left without now? HST with only a few more years use
and what else.

IC225? (Yes, I know, they don't operate at Paddington).

317 (which did, once, have tanks).

What about pacers/sprinters?