London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old November 13th 17, 03:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,412
Default Proposed trams under Cambridge

Certes wrote:
On 13/11/17 10:29, Recliner wrote:
I'm surprised our hyperactive Cambridge and Ely correspondents haven't
posted this story:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/plan-for-underground-line-to-run-under-cambridge-centre-s29mmk858?shareToken=0fdf69714488066c31bc93f5152e2 fd0


That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.


Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels. By the time this scheme gets underway, Crossrail 2 might
also be underway or even completed, as might the Bakerloo extension.


  #2   Report Post  
Old November 13th 17, 04:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 8,986
Default Proposed trams under Cambridge

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 15:28:49 on Mon, 13 Nov 2017, Recliner
remarked:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...66c31bc93f5152
e2fd0


That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.


Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels.


Is this national "fail to spot sarcasm day", or what?

By the time this scheme gets underway, Crossrail 2 might
also be underway or even completed, as might the Bakerloo extension.


--
Roland Perry
  #3   Report Post  
Old November 13th 17, 04:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 83
Default Proposed trams under Cambridge

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 15:28:49 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Certes wrote:
On 13/11/17 10:29, Recliner wrote:
I'm surprised our hyperactive Cambridge and Ely correspondents haven't
posted this story:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/plan-for-underground-line-to-run-under-cambridge-centre-s29mmk858?shareToken=0fdf69714488066c31bc93f5152e2 fd0


That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.


Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels. By the time this scheme gets underway, Crossrail 2 might
also be underway or even completed, as might the Bakerloo extension.


By "new" they mean a new city, as the article goes on to make clear
when you read it in full. London already has several underground
railways.

Mark
  #4   Report Post  
Old November 13th 17, 04:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Mar 2009
Posts: 640
Default Proposed trams under Cambridge

Mark Goodge wrote on 13 Nov 2017 at 16:45 ...
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 15:28:49 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Certes wrote:
On 13/11/17 10:29, Recliner wrote:
I'm surprised our hyperactive Cambridge and Ely correspondents haven't
posted this story:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/plan-for-underground-line-to-run-under-cambridge-centre-s29mmk858?shareToken=0fdf69714488066c31bc93f5152e2 fd0

That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.


Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels. By the time this scheme gets underway, Crossrail 2 might
also be underway or even completed, as might the Bakerloo extension.


By "new" they mean a new city, as the article goes on to make clear
when you read it in full. London already has several underground
railways.


Yes, the article is not totally ignorant about other recent underground railways in Britain. But the opening statement (perhaps added by a sub-editor?) "Britain’s first new underground railway in decades..." is just plain wrong.

--
Richard J.
(to email me, swap 'uk' and 'yon' in address)
  #5   Report Post  
Old November 13th 17, 05:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 83
Default Proposed trams under Cambridge

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 16:57:20 +0000, "Richard J."
wrote:

Mark Goodge wrote on 13 Nov 2017 at 16:45 ...
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 15:28:49 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Certes wrote:
On 13/11/17 10:29, Recliner wrote:
I'm surprised our hyperactive Cambridge and Ely correspondents haven't
posted this story:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/plan-for-underground-line-to-run-under-cambridge-centre-s29mmk858?shareToken=0fdf69714488066c31bc93f5152e2 fd0

That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.

Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels. By the time this scheme gets underway, Crossrail 2 might
also be underway or even completed, as might the Bakerloo extension.


By "new" they mean a new city, as the article goes on to make clear
when you read it in full. London already has several underground
railways.


Yes, the article is not totally ignorant about other recent underground
railways in Britain. But the opening statement (perhaps added by a sub-editor?)
"Britain’s first new underground railway in decades..." is just plain wrong.


It's perfectly correct if you assume that "railway" means a network,
not just a line. The London Underground is "a railway" in the same
sense that, say, the LNER was a railway.

Mark


  #6   Report Post  
Old November 13th 17, 06:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Mar 2009
Posts: 640
Default Proposed trams under Cambridge

Mark Goodge wrote on 13 Nov 2017 at 17:01 ...
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 16:57:20 +0000, "Richard J."
wrote:

Mark Goodge wrote on 13 Nov 2017 at 16:45 ...
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 15:28:49 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Certes wrote:
On 13/11/17 10:29, Recliner wrote:
I'm surprised our hyperactive Cambridge and Ely correspondents haven't
posted this story:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/plan-for-underground-line-to-run-under-cambridge-centre-s29mmk858?shareToken=0fdf69714488066c31bc93f5152e2 fd0

That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.

Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels. By the time this scheme gets underway, Crossrail 2 might
also be underway or even completed, as might the Bakerloo extension.

By "new" they mean a new city, as the article goes on to make clear
when you read it in full. London already has several underground
railways.


Yes, the article is not totally ignorant about other recent underground
railways in Britain. But the opening statement (perhaps added by a sub-editor?)
"Britain’s first new underground railway in decades..." is just plain wrong.


It's perfectly correct if you assume that "railway" means a network,
not just a line. The London Underground is "a railway" in the same
sense that, say, the LNER was a railway.


In what sense is the CamTram a proper railway whereas the Elizabeth Line isn't? They are both networks of several branches with a common underground core. If you asked people which one wasn't a new railway, I think you'd find that most people would choose CamTram on the grounds that it's only a tramway.

--
Richard J.
(to email me, swap 'uk' and 'yon' in address)
  #7   Report Post  
Old November 13th 17, 07:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,080
Default Proposed trams under Cambridge

On 13/11/2017 15:28, Recliner wrote:

By the time this scheme gets underway, Crossrail 2 might
also be underway or even completed, as might the Bakerloo extension.


We will probably have flying cars. On the moon.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
  #8   Report Post  
Old November 13th 17, 07:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Apr 2017
Posts: 7
Default Proposed trams under Cambridge

On 13/11/17 16:19, Roland Perry wrote:
Is this national "fail to spot sarcasm day", or what?


I don't think so; I can't see anything about that on the BBC News or
Guardian websites...

  #9   Report Post  
Old November 13th 17, 10:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jan 2007
Posts: 83
Default Proposed trams under Cambridge

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 18:13:27 +0000, "Richard J."
wrote:

Mark Goodge wrote on 13 Nov 2017 at 17:01 ...
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 16:57:20 +0000, "Richard J."
wrote:

Mark Goodge wrote on 13 Nov 2017 at 16:45 ...
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 15:28:49 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Certes wrote:
On 13/11/17 10:29, Recliner wrote:
I'm surprised our hyperactive Cambridge and Ely correspondents haven't
posted this story:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/plan-for-underground-line-to-run-under-cambridge-centre-s29mmk858?shareToken=0fdf69714488066c31bc93f5152e2 fd0

That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.

Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels. By the time this scheme gets underway, Crossrail 2 might
also be underway or even completed, as might the Bakerloo extension.

By "new" they mean a new city, as the article goes on to make clear
when you read it in full. London already has several underground
railways.

Yes, the article is not totally ignorant about other recent underground
railways in Britain. But the opening statement (perhaps added by a sub-editor?)
"Britain’s first new underground railway in decades..." is just plain wrong.


It's perfectly correct if you assume that "railway" means a network,
not just a line. The London Underground is "a railway" in the same
sense that, say, the LNER was a railway.


In what sense is the CamTram a proper railway whereas the Elizabeth Line isn't?


The Elizabeth Line is a new part of an existing railway, not a new
railway.

Mark
  #10   Report Post  
Old November 14th 17, 03:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,412
Default Proposed trams under Cambridge

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-septe
mber.org, at 15:28:49 on Mon, 13 Nov 2017, Recliner
remarked:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...66c31bc93f5152
e2fd0

That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.


Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels.


Is this national "fail to spot sarcasm day", or what?


For you, vigorously participating in usenet threads is a full-time
occupation, as a substitute for the paid work which you'd much rather be
doing. For most of the rest of us, uk.r is something we dip into in idle
moments, and we don't carefully analyse every post for sarcasm. For
example, I'm currently sitting in the lounge in Vientiane airport, sipping
an early beer, and will soon be taking off. I won't be checking uk.r until
at least tonight.

Curiously, the flight I'm on is the modern version of the old Ho Chi Minh
trail: it's a Vietnam Airlines flight that starts in Hanoi, then flies on
to Vientiane and Phnom Penh and finally to Saigon, now rebranded Ho Chi
Minh City. Now, of course, it's a comfortable Airbus A321, not a battered
truck sheltering on a jungle trail. You get free beers, not free bombs,
while you're waiting.





Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sadiq's proposed new anti-pollution measures Recliner[_3_] London Transport 44 May 23rd 16 05:59 PM
"Airtrack-Lite" link to Heathrow proposed by Wandsworth Council Bruce[_2_] London Transport 18 November 3rd 11 04:14 PM
Proposed ticket office closures on the tube cyril sneer London Transport 13 July 15th 07 08:08 PM
Snow-machines proposed to cool Tube Fustanella London Transport 1 August 20th 03 08:01 PM
Cambridge Guided Bus Blunder Matthew Anghi London Transport 1 August 5th 03 06:16 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2017 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017