Old November 13th 17, 02:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Proposed trams under Cambridge

Certes wrote:
On 13/11/17 10:29, Recliner wrote:
I'm surprised our hyperactive Cambridge and Ely correspondents haven't
posted this story:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/plan-for-underground-line-to-run-under-cambridge-centre-s29mmk858?shareToken=0fdf69714488066c31bc93f5152e2 fd0

That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.

Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels. By the time this scheme gets underway, Crossrail 2 might
also be underway or even completed, as might the Bakerloo extension.

Old November 13th 17, 03:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 15:28:49 on Mon, 13 Nov 2017, Recliner
remarked:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...66c31bc93f5152
e2fd0

That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.

Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels.

Is this national "fail to spot sarcasm day", or what?

Old November 13th 17, 03:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 15:28:49 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Certes wrote:
On 13/11/17 10:29, Recliner wrote:
I'm surprised our hyperactive Cambridge and Ely correspondents haven't
posted this story:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/plan-for-underground-line-to-run-under-cambridge-centre-s29mmk858?shareToken=0fdf69714488066c31bc93f5152e2 fd0

That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.

Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels. By the time this scheme gets underway, Crossrail 2 might
also be underway or even completed, as might the Bakerloo extension.

By "new" they mean a new city, as the article goes on to make clear
when you read it in full. London already has several underground
railways.

Mark
Old November 13th 17, 03:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mark Goodge wrote on 13 Nov 2017 at 16:45 ...
wrote:

Certes wrote:
[...]

Yes, the article is not totally ignorant about other recent underground railways in Britain. But the opening statement (perhaps added by a sub-editor?) "Britain’s first new underground railway in decades..." is just plain wrong.

--
Richard J.
Old November 13th 17, 04:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Certes wrote:
[...]

It's perfectly correct if you assume that "railway" means a network,
not just a line. The London Underground is "a railway" in the same
sense that, say, the LNER was a railway.

Mark

Old November 13th 17, 05:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mark Goodge wrote on 13 Nov 2017 at 17:01 ...

wrote:

Certes wrote:
[...]

In what sense is the CamTram a proper railway whereas the Elizabeth Line isn't? They are both networks of several branches with a common underground core. If you asked people which one wasn't a new railway, I think you'd find that most people would choose CamTram on the grounds that it's only a tramway.

--
Richard J.
Old November 13th 17, 06:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 13/11/2017 15:28, Recliner wrote:

By the time this scheme gets underway, Crossrail 2 might
also be underway or even completed, as might the Bakerloo extension.

We will probably have flying cars. On the moon.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old November 13th 17, 06:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 13/11/17 16:19, Roland Perry wrote:
Is this national "fail to spot sarcasm day", or what?

I don't think so; I can't see anything about that on the BBC News or
Guardian websites...

Old November 13th 17, 09:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Certes wrote:
[...]

The Elizabeth Line is a new part of an existing railway, not a new
railway.

Mark
Old November 14th 17, 02:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-septe
mber.org, at 15:28:49 on Mon, 13 Nov 2017, Recliner
remarked:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...66c31bc93f5152
e2fd0

That's going to make Edinburgh Council look like a paragon of
financial prudence. Especially as it'll be "Britain’s first new
underground railway in decades", so there are no workers available with
recent experience of tunnelling in, say, London.

Huh? Crossrail, HS2 and the Northern line extension all have significant
London tunnels.

Is this national "fail to spot sarcasm day", or what?

For you, vigorously participating in usenet threads is a full-time
occupation, as a substitute for the paid work which you'd much rather be
doing. For most of the rest of us, uk.r is something we dip into in idle
moments, and we don't carefully analyse every post for sarcasm. For
example, I'm currently sitting in the lounge in Vientiane airport, sipping
an early beer, and will soon be taking off. I won't be checking uk.r until
at least tonight.

Curiously, the flight I'm on is the modern version of the old Ho Chi Minh
trail: it's a Vietnam Airlines flight that starts in Hanoi, then flies on
to Vientiane and Phnom Penh and finally to Saigon, now rebranded Ho Chi
Minh City. Now, of course, it's a comfortable Airbus A321, not a battered
truck sheltering on a jungle trail. You get free beers, not free bombs,
while you're waiting.