Old November 16th 17, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Croydon

On 2017\11\16 09:27, tim... wrote:

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
news
On 2017\11\15 16:55, wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 November 2017 09:10:07 UTC, Basil JetĀ* wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croydo...#Train_Station

The page also talks about lengthening tram platforms at West Croydon,
although I couldn't quite find enough info to make sense of that. I
would have imagined that all the tram platforms are the same length,
and
there would be no point in lengthening one unless you lengthen them
all.

It's actually East Croydon where they propose lengthening the
platforms to accommodate four car trams, not West Croydon.

So are they saying that two trams per direction would dwell
simultaneously there, rather than there being "four car trams"?

you write that like there's some reason that would be a dumb operational
procedure

Not at all. I just think the page is a mess. At West Croydon,
"straightening tram tracks will allow for the usage of three car trams"
and at East Croydon "the tram stop outside the station is to be extended
to accommodate four car trams".

Lengthening the EC stop for multiple trams is not ideal anyway, because
the trams in both directions have multiple branches after only two
stops, so pretty much every waiting passenger will have to cluster at
the centre of the stop because they won't know in advance if their tram
will stop on the back or the front. I suspect the extended dwells are
from the east in the morning and to the east in the evening, in which
case two islands with a tidal central track might work better. (Quick
Google) Oh, they've already got three tracks there.

Old November 16th 17, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Basil Jet)
wrote:

On 2017\11\16 09:27, tim... wrote:

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
news
On 2017\11\15 16:55,
wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 November 2017 09:10:07 UTC, Basil Jet* wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croydo...#Train_Station

The page also talks about lengthening tram platforms at West Croydon,
although I couldn't quite find enough info to make sense of that. I
would have imagined that all the tram platforms are the same length,
and there would be no point in lengthening one unless you lengthen
them all.

It's actually East Croydon where they propose lengthening the
platforms to accommodate four car trams, not West Croydon.

So are they saying that two trams per direction would dwell
simultaneously there, rather than there being "four car trams"?

you write that like there's some reason that would be a dumb
operational procedure

Not at all. I just think the page is a mess. At West Croydon,
"straightening tram tracks will allow for the usage of three car
trams"

Does that mean the Variobahn trams can't go that way now? Looking at the
West Croydon tram stop on Google Streetview that's obviously not the case so
I don't understand this point.

and at East Croydon "the tram stop outside the station is to
be extended to accommodate four car trams".

Lengthening the EC stop for multiple trams is not ideal anyway,
because the trams in both directions have multiple branches after
only two stops, so pretty much every waiting passenger will have to
cluster at the centre of the stop because they won't know in advance
if their tram will stop on the back or the front. I suspect the
extended dwells are from the east in the morning and to the east in
the evening, in which case two islands with a tidal central track
might work better. (Quick Google) Oh, they've already got three
tracks there.

Which do occasionally get used (never been there in the high peak). So the
idea of doubling up trams as well is hard to fathom.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old November 16th 17, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Realistically who completes a full supermarket shop in a town centre
these days? An out of town supermarket and a Sainsburys Local (there
is already one near the station) will do better I reckon.

I only know quite a small number of people, but I can't think of anybody I know who goess out of town for their normal shopping. Such shopping is usually done within walking distance of home, or work, or of rhe journey between the two.
Old November 16th 17, 01:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:
Realistically who completes a full supermarket shop in a town centre
these days? An out of town supermarket and a Sainsburys Local (there
is already one near the station) will do better I reckon.

People who live in the town centre? People who don't drive (car ownership
is declining)?

Of course the meaning of 'supermarket' has changed. Previously, at the time
many of these were built, a supermarket would be on the High Street and take
about 400m2. Now a supermarket is an aircraft hangar with an airport-sized
car park outside.

So if by 'Sainsbury's Local' you mean something about the same size as an
Aldi or a Lidl in a city centre, I agree with you. If you mean a glorified
corner shop where you can buy barely more than a pint of milk and some ready
meals, it's probably not going to do it for a lot of people. Online
deliveries help people without a car, but the trend is that many people are
tending to shop little and often, not do weekly shops.

Maybe the hangars will eventually go dark and turn into delivery depots
instead of walk-in shops?

Theo

Old November 16th 17, 01:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 10:33:56AM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

Realistically who completes a full supermarket shop in a town centre
these days? An out of town supermarket and a Sainsburys Local (there
is already one near the station) will do better I reckon.

I expect that most people in London do. And that includes Croydon.

European immigration: making Britain great since AD43
Old November 16th 17, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017\11\16 13:32, David Cantrell wrote:
On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 10:33:56AM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

Realistically who completes a full supermarket shop in a town centre
these days? An out of town supermarket and a Sainsburys Local (there
is already one near the station) will do better I reckon.

I expect that most people in London do. And that includes Croydon.

I'll shop anywhere I can park free. Which rules out town centres.
Old November 16th 17, 01:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 03:45:02PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

Croydon is an abject dump, which is surprising given how many well-off
commuters live there.

Hi! Well-off commuter resident of Croydon here!

The only reason I ever have for going in to central Croydon is to drink
at the Dog n Bull occasionally. There is literally nothing else there of
any interest to me whatsoever. I have local greengrocers and butchers,
and everything else is either delivered from the interwebs or not
available in Croydon town centre anyway.

--
David Cantrell | even more awesome than a panda-fur coat

Human Rights left unattended may be removed,
destroyed, or damaged by the security services.
Old November 16th 17, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
news
On 2017\11\16 09:27, tim... wrote:

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
news
On 2017\11\15 16:55, wrote:
[...]

well that's easily soluble by having a departure board that tells them -
other countries have no difficulty doing this

tim