Old November 16th 17, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Croydon

On 2017-11-16 13:28:30 +0000, Theo said:

Maybe the hangars will eventually go dark and turn into delivery depots
instead of walk-in shops?

Tesco already have dark stores, and *all* of Ocado's operation is like
that. One advantage is that you can operate proper stock control
rather than guessing and substituting.

FWIW I haven't set foot in one for a while, I use delivery now. Though
deliveries allegedly aren't very profitable at present, I would pay
more than I do so there is a bit of scope for increasing the price.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old November 16th 17, 02:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017-11-16 13:39:38 +0000, David Cantrell said:

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 03:45:02PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

Croydon is an abject dump, which is surprising given how many well-off
commuters live there.

Hi! Well-off commuter resident of Croydon here!

The only reason I ever have for going in to central Croydon is to drink
at the Dog n Bull occasionally. There is literally nothing else there of
any interest to me whatsoever. I have local greengrocers and butchers,
and everything else is either delivered from the interwebs or not
available in Croydon town centre anyway.

Cheers, this is largely how I suspected things to be. FWIW, some of
the housing areas of Croydon are very nice (and pricey)

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old November 16th 17, 03:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017\11\16 15:49, Neil Williams wrote:

Cheers, this is largely how I suspected things to be.Â* FWIW, some of the
housing areas of Croydon are very nice (and pricey)

Purley... say no more!
Old November 16th 17, 03:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:
Maybe it's a London thing. In most of the UK the weekly shop is done
in an out of town style supermarket (sometimes on the edge of town, but
almost never actually *in* it).

The thing is there isn't a weekly shop any more
(for some proportion of people):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/eart...rket-shop.html

Theo
Old November 16th 17, 04:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15/11/2017 11:31, Offramp wrote:

I had never heard of the Tricorn centre, Portsmouth, until last month.

It used to appear in discussions of architecture for similar kinds of
reasons to New Street station.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old November 16th 17, 05:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15/11/2017 10:32, Neil Williams wrote:

I'd imagine that will be a relatively good thing - Croydon high street
and both shopping centres are abject dumps (particularly the Whitgift
which needs knocking down).

There is a slight terminology issue, in that the High Street is not the
high street - the pedestrianised North End is the high street, IYSWIM.

Try St George's Walk for a post-Soviet style experience.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old November 16th 17, 05:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017-11-15 16:23:45 +0000, Tony Dragon said:

But it does get the visitors to Luner House.

That place really is an embarrassment.Â* "Welcome to the UK - now naff
off" is about what it says.

Isn't that the idea of it?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK