London Banter

-   -   Widened lines moorgate spur (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15512-widened-lines-moorgate-spur.html)

[email protected] November 21st 17 03:55 PM

Widened lines moorgate spur

The latest london special issue of modern railways suggests that the met line
has finally been linked up with the remains of the widened lines at moorgate
via a spur at farringdon. Anyway know if this has happened yet? I haven't been
there in over a year but last time I went there was a deep hole in the PW
for crossrail just west of barbican station.

David Cantrell November 22nd 17 12:20 PM

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 03:55:28PM +0000, wrote:
The latest london special issue of modern railways suggests that the met line
has finally been linked up with the remains of the widened lines at moorgate
via a spur at farringdon.

Seems odd. Why on earth would they bother?

--
David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

Wow, my first sigquoting! I feel so special now!
-- Dan Sugalski

Someone Somewhere November 22nd 17 12:30 PM

On 22/11/2017 12:20, David Cantrell wrote:
On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 03:55:28PM +0000, wrote:
The latest london special issue of modern railways suggests that the met line
has finally been linked up with the remains of the widened lines at moorgate
via a spur at farringdon.

Seems odd. Why on earth would they bother?

Presumably to reduce the pressure on Aldgate and the flat junction
between Liverpool Street and Aldgate East. If you ever catch an H&C
train through there there's probably an 80% chance it will end up
stalled waiting for a Met line.

[email protected] November 22nd 17 01:02 PM

Widened lines moorgate spur

wrote:
The latest london special issue of modern railways suggests that the
met line has finally been linked up with the remains of the widened
lines at moorgate via a spur at farringdon.

Seems odd. Why on earth would they bother?

Presumably to reduce the pressure on Aldgate and the flat junction
between Liverpool Street and Aldgate East. If you ever catch an H&C
train through there there's probably an 80% chance it will end up
stalled waiting for a Met line.

I though it was just for extra siding space at Farringdon?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Recliner[_3_] November 22nd 17 01:23 PM

Widened lines moorgate spur

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 07:02:48 -0600,
wrote:

In article ,
(Someone

wrote:
The latest london special issue of modern railways suggests that the
met line has finally been linked up with the remains of the widened
lines at moorgate via a spur at farringdon.

Seems odd. Why on earth would they bother?

Presumably to reduce the pressure on Aldgate and the flat junction
between Liverpool Street and Aldgate East. If you ever catch an H&C
train through there there's probably an 80% chance it will end up
stalled waiting for a Met line.

I though it was just for extra siding space at Farringdon?

I believe that's correct. The sidings will be long enough for S8
trains, though normally only S7s will be stabled there.

[email protected] November 22nd 17 01:49 PM

Widened lines moorgate spur

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 13:23:23 +0000
Recliner wrote:
On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 07:02:48 -0600,
wrote:

In article ,
(Someone

wrote:
The latest london special issue of modern railways suggests that the
met line has finally been linked up with the remains of the widened
lines at moorgate via a spur at farringdon.

Seems odd. Why on earth would they bother?

Presumably to reduce the pressure on Aldgate and the flat junction
between Liverpool Street and Aldgate East. If you ever catch an H&C
train through there there's probably an 80% chance it will end up
stalled waiting for a Met line.

I though it was just for extra siding space at Farringdon?

I believe that's correct. The sidings will be long enough for S8
trains, though normally only S7s will be stabled there.

Yup, the article said stabling. Though I imagine they could use it as an
emergency termination point if the part between farringdon and moorgate
stuffs up. I wonder if it would need to be re-certified to carry passengers
or whether it'll inherit those as grandfather rights?

[email protected] November 22nd 17 03:02 PM

Recliner wrote:
On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 07:02:48 -0600,

wrote:

In article ,
(Someone

wrote:
[...]

I don't think the sidings will stretch as far as the platforms at Barbican,
let alone all the way to Moorgate.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Recliner[_3_] November 22nd 17 04:26 PM

Recliner wrote:
On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 07:02:48 -0600,

wrote:

In article ,
(Someone

wrote:
[...]

I think that's correct.

[email protected] November 22nd 17 04:34 PM

Widened lines moorgate spur

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 09:02:59 -0600
wrote:

Recliner wrote:
On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 07:02:48 -0600,

wrote:

In article ,
(Someone

wrote:
[...]

The track's already there, it would cost relatively little to put down some
power rails and I can't imagine them wanting to store the trains in some
leaky tunnel with the driver having to walk out of it.

Recliner[_3_] November 22nd 17 05:28 PM

wrote:
On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 09:02:59 -0600
wrote:

Recliner wrote:
On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 07:02:48 -0600,

wrote:

In article ,
(Someone

wrote:
[...]

The sidings are in the open, just past Farringdon station.