London Banter

London Banter (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   London Transport (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/)
-   -   Overhead wire in moorgate line stations (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15525-overhead-wire-moorgate-line-stations.html)

[email protected] December 7th 17 09:39 AM

Overhead wire in moorgate line stations
 
Anyone know why there's an overhead wire on the southbound of highbury station
(and maybe others, I didn't check) on the moorgate line? Its obviously not some
old catenary since the line was always 3rd/4th rail and its only hung from the
ceiling by some thin wires anyway. Is it in case a pan is left up at Drayton?


Offramp December 7th 17 12:43 PM

Overhead wire in moorgate line stations
 
I do not know. But this is one of those things where I immediately think, I've got to go and see it. I'VE GOT TO GO AND SEE IT!

[email protected] December 7th 17 08:31 PM

Overhead wire in moorgate line stations
 
In article , () wrote:

Anyone know why there's an overhead wire on the southbound of
highbury station (and maybe others, I didn't check) on the moorgate
line? Its obviously not some
old catenary since the line was always 3rd/4th rail and its only hung
from the ceiling by some thin wires anyway. Is it in case a pan is
left up at Drayton?


Whole platform length or just a short section?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] December 8th 17 08:58 AM

Overhead wire in moorgate line stations
 
On Thu, 07 Dec 2017 15:31:05 -0600
wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:

Anyone know why there's an overhead wire on the southbound of
highbury station (and maybe others, I didn't check) on the moorgate
line? Its obviously not some
old catenary since the line was always 3rd/4th rail and its only hung
from the ceiling by some thin wires anyway. Is it in case a pan is
left up at Drayton?


Whole platform length or just a short section?


Seems to be the whole length.



Robin[_4_] December 8th 17 09:48 AM

Overhead wire in moorgate line stations
 
On 07/12/2017 21:31, wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:

Anyone know why there's an overhead wire on the southbound of
highbury station (and maybe others, I didn't check) on the moorgate
line? Its obviously not some
old catenary since the line was always 3rd/4th rail and its only hung
from the ceiling by some thin wires anyway. Is it in case a pan is
left up at Drayton?


Whole platform length or just a short section?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...look_north.JPG
--
Robin
reply-to address is (intended to be) valid

Adrian Caspersz December 10th 17 02:57 PM

Overhead wire in moorgate line stations
 
On 08/12/17 10:48, Robin wrote:
On 07/12/2017 21:31, wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:

Anyone know why there's an overhead wire on the southbound of
highbury station (and maybe others, I didn't check) on the moorgate
line? Its obviously not some
old catenary since the line was always 3rd/4th rail and its only hung
from the ceiling by some thin wires anyway. Is it in case a pan is
left up at Drayton?


Whole platform length or just a short section?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...look_north.JPG


CBTC radio?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commun..._train_control

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...frequency.html

--
Adrian C

[email protected] December 11th 17 09:36 AM

Overhead wire in moorgate line stations
 
On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 15:57:32 +0000
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 08/12/17 10:48, Robin wrote:
On 07/12/2017 21:31, wrote:
In article ,
() wrote:

Anyone know why there's an overhead wire on the southbound of
highbury station (and maybe others, I didn't check) on the moorgate
line? Its obviously not some
old catenary since the line was always 3rd/4th rail and its only hung
from the ceiling by some thin wires anyway. Is it in case a pan is
left up at Drayton?

Whole platform length or just a short section?


https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...n_Great_Northe
n_southbound_look_north.JPG


CBTC radio?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commun..._train_control

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...eps-up-victori
-line-frequency.html


Only if they're using long wave! :)


Clive D.W. Feather December 16th 17 10:44 PM

Overhead wire in moorgate line stations
 
In article , writes
Anyone know why there's an overhead wire on the southbound of highbury station
(and maybe others, I didn't check) on the moorgate line? Its obviously not some
old catenary since the line was always 3rd/4th rail and its only hung from the
ceiling by some thin wires anyway. Is it in case a pan is left up at Drayton?


I believe that's the case, yes; it's not powered, it's just to stop the
pan disassembing itself on the tunnel roof. I've a vague memory that it
was put in when the line was handed over to BR.

--
Clive D.W. Feather

[email protected] December 18th 17 09:10 AM

Overhead wire in moorgate line stations
 
On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 23:44:02 +0000
"Clive D.W. Feather" wrote:
In article , writes
Anyone know why there's an overhead wire on the southbound of highbury

station
(and maybe others, I didn't check) on the moorgate line? Its obviously not

some
old catenary since the line was always 3rd/4th rail and its only hung from

the
ceiling by some thin wires anyway. Is it in case a pan is left up at Drayton?


I believe that's the case, yes; it's not powered, it's just to stop the
pan disassembing itself on the tunnel roof. I've a vague memory that it
was put in when the line was handed over to BR.


That seemed the most likely scenario to me. Wonder how often the pan gets
left up on that line? Must happen occasionally.


[email protected] December 18th 17 01:27 PM

Overhead wire in moorgate line stations
 
On 18.12.17 10:10, wrote:
On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 23:44:02 +0000
"Clive D.W. Feather" wrote:
In article ,
writes
Anyone know why there's an overhead wire on the southbound of highbury

station
(and maybe others, I didn't check) on the moorgate line? Its obviously not

some
old catenary since the line was always 3rd/4th rail and its only hung from

the
ceiling by some thin wires anyway. Is it in case a pan is left up at Drayton?


I believe that's the case, yes; it's not powered, it's just to stop the
pan disassembing itself on the tunnel roof. I've a vague memory that it
was put in when the line was handed over to BR.


That seemed the most likely scenario to me. Wonder how often the pan gets
left up on that line? Must happen occasionally.

Is there nothing that will force a pan drop?

One Metro-North, for example, the M2 runs dual-mode DC on 3rd rail and
AC under the wire. I assume that the same happens with the newer M8.

As soon as that train's shoes come into contact with live 3rd rail, the
pantographs automatically come down. The train will not take power,
however, until the engineer sets the power mode switch to the proper
setting.

The engineer will normally set the mode switch to DC, which also drops
the pans, though I have at times seen them coast into 3rd rail with the
pans up, and then only switch the power made when the train is out of
the wire.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2006 LondonBanter.co.uk