London Banter

-   -   Snow on the line (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15528-snow-line.html)

Recliner[_3_] December 10th 17 09:48 AM

Snow on the line

The forecasted snow has arrived in London, and knocked out big chunks of
the Underground. For example, in northwest London, both the Met and Picc
are suspended because of power supply problems. But, oddly enough, the
Jubilee and District are reported to have a good service.

https://tfl.gov.uk/tube-dlr-overground/status/

David Walters December 10th 17 04:53 PM

Snow on the line

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 10:48:02 GMT, Recliner wrote:
The forecasted snow has arrived in London

The forecasts I was looking at yesterday were predicting wind in London
but not snow.

I'm in Barnet where the council allegedly began gritting at 4am but
there wasn't much evidence of them until mid afternoon and most of the
buses were suspended for a while.

[email protected] December 11th 17 09:34 AM

Snow on the line

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 17:53:41 +0000
David Walters wrote:
On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 10:48:02 GMT, Recliner wrote:
The forecasted snow has arrived in London

The forecasts I was looking at yesterday were predicting wind in London
but not snow.

I'm in Barnet where the council allegedly began gritting at 4am but
there wasn't much evidence of them until mid afternoon and most of the
buses were suspended for a while.

Naturally as the snow arrived the underground fell apart. I mean snow! In
winter! Fancy that! Power supply problems? Who the **** are they kidding.
Perhaps if they were more honest with their excuses people might not hold them
and the various rail companies in contempt.

Mike Bristow December 11th 17 01:16 PM

Snow on the line

In article ,
wrote:
Naturally as the snow arrived the underground fell apart. I mean snow! In
winter! Fancy that! Power supply problems? Who the **** are they kidding.
Perhaps if they were more honest with their excuses people might not hold them
and the various rail companies in contempt.

What do you think the problem was? How would you describe it?

--
Mike Bristow

[email protected] December 11th 17 01:30 PM

Snow on the line

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 14:16:24 +0000
Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Naturally as the snow arrived the underground fell apart. I mean snow! In
winter! Fancy that! Power supply problems? Who the **** are they kidding.
Perhaps if they were more honest with their excuses people might not hold

them
and the various rail companies in contempt.

What do you think the problem was? How would you describe it?

I'd lay a lot of money on the ****wits not listening to the weather forecast
and not spraying deicer on the power rails or sending up a train with any
kind of brush on it. Then next morning, "Oooo, theres snow on the rails, train
won't move! Quick, lets blame the power supply and make it sound like its
someone elses fault!"

Tim Woodall[_2_] December 11th 17 02:05 PM

Snow on the line

On 2017-12-11, Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Naturally as the snow arrived the underground fell apart. I mean snow! In
winter! Fancy that! Power supply problems? Who the **** are they kidding.
Perhaps if they were more honest with their excuses people might not hold them
and the various rail companies in contempt.

What do you think the problem was? How would you describe it?

I don't know what the problem was but it was very annoying and poorly
communicated.

I was doing KX to Southgate at around 10am.

15 minute wait for any train (no problem yet) but first train was to
Arnos Grove so we waited for the next one to Cockfosters.

Got on train - as we set off the automatic announcement '... to Arnos
Grove'

Every single station to Bounds Green had the platform indicators saying
the train was to Cockfosters. At bounds green platform indicator said
Arnos Grove with a Cockfosters train 6 minutes behind.

Got to Arnos Green, train did terminate, to be immediately presented
with an announcement 'no trains going further than Arnos Grove, buses
stopped running 30 minutes ago, cab conpany says there are no drivers.
You cannot continue your journey from here'

Not a single announcement until the only option was to turn around and
go back. Not even an announcement from the driver that the platform
indicators were wrong.

Disappointing.

[email protected] December 11th 17 02:45 PM

Snow on the line

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 15:05:47 +0000 (UTC)
On 2017-12-11, Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Naturally as the snow arrived the underground fell apart. I mean snow! In
winter! Fancy that! Power supply problems? Who the **** are they kidding.
Perhaps if they were more honest with their excuses people might not hold

them
and the various rail companies in contempt.

What do you think the problem was? How would you describe it?

I don't know what the problem was but it was very annoying and poorly
communicated.

Thats par for the course.

Got to Arnos Green, train did terminate, to be immediately presented
with an announcement 'no trains going further than Arnos Grove, buses
stopped running 30 minutes ago, cab conpany says there are no drivers.
You cannot continue your journey from here'

Even when the buses do run from Arnos Grove its usually a 20 min wait anyway.

Not a single announcement until the only option was to turn around and

You should have walked tbh. Depending on what part of southgate you were going
to its between 15-30 mins from arnos grove at a normal walking pace.

Mike Bristow December 11th 17 02:45 PM

Snow on the line

In article ,
wrote:
I'd lay a lot of money on the ****wits not listening to the weather forecast
and not spraying deicer on the power rails or sending up a train with any
kind of brush on it. Then next morning, "Oooo, theres snow on the rails, train
won't move! Quick, lets blame the power supply and make it sound like its
someone elses fault!"

So how would you describe a problem where the snow/ice prevents the power
from getting from the rail to train?

--
Mike Bristow

[email protected] December 11th 17 03:22 PM

Snow on the line

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 15:45:39 +0000
Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
I'd lay a lot of money on the ****wits not listening to the weather forecast
and not spraying deicer on the power rails or sending up a train with any
kind of brush on it. Then next morning, "Oooo, theres snow on the rails,

train
won't move! Quick, lets blame the power supply and make it sound like its
someone elses fault!"

So how would you describe a problem where the snow/ice prevents the power
from getting from the rail to train?

Its wasn't a power supply problem, the power supply was fine. Its a power
collection problem arising not from equipment defect but from a wetware
defect inbetween the ears of LU managers and staff. The correct announcement
should have been "We ignored the weather forecast because we're ****wits and
now our trains are snowed in"

Recliner[_3_] December 11th 17 03:24 PM

Snow on the line

Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
I'd lay a lot of money on the ****wits not listening to the weather forecast
and not spraying deicer on the power rails or sending up a train with any
kind of brush on it. Then next morning, "Oooo, theres snow on the rails, train
won't move! Quick, lets blame the power supply and make it sound like its
someone elses fault!"

So how would you describe a problem where the snow/ice prevents the power
from getting from the rail to train?

I don't think that was the problem. I think it was genuinely a power supply
problem, as it also affected the Piccadilly line Uxbridge branch. Later,
when the Met line was running again, the Amersham branch continued to be
affected, and that might have been more to do with snow/ice on the running
and conductor rails.