Old December 14th 17, 11:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default London's Elizabeth Line's disjointed introduction

On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 11:14:31 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 10:26:29 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:57:53 on Thu, 14 Dec
2017,
remarked:

Anybody arriving at King's Cross St Pancras Underground station is equally
badly off, unless they arrive on the Metropolitan (etc) platforms.

Other cities do their best to make sure the interchange between lines is as
short as possible. In London we seem to deliberately do the opposite. The
new thameslink platform at St P, the jubilee line at waterloo which seems to

be
half a mile from anything else and requires a travalator are good examples.

The station at Waterloo is going to be under the Charing Cross Line
beneath Waterloo East; rather than under the old Eurostar platforms and
north end of the concourse. I don't know the specific reason for this.

As an aside - I wonder why the lines at waterloo were never linked to the
charing X line at waterloo east? They're at the same level and can't be more
than 50 metres apart at closest approach. It would have created a south river
line following the river (more or less) from richmond out to gravesend.

Strangely LT/LRT/TfL have regressed. When they built the Victoria
Line back in the 1960s they made interchange so easy. Amid Beeching,
and the general decline during that period, the Victoria Line shines
as a real achievement.
Old December 14th 17, 11:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail's disjointed introduction

In article ,
wrote:
As an aside - I wonder why the lines at waterloo were never linked to the
charing X line at waterloo east?

They were. The line was taken up in 1911, according to
https://www.londonreconnections.com/...waterloo-link/

--
Mike Bristow

Old December 14th 17, 02:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 11:56:31 +0000
Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
As an aside - I wonder why the lines at waterloo were never linked to the
charing X line at waterloo east?

They were. The line was taken up in 1911, according to
https://www.londonreconnections.com/...waterloo-link/

A lost opportunity. Could have been the south london version of crossrail (ish).

Old December 14th 17, 02:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

One can only assume that what makes construction easier for the engineers
and maybe saves a few weeks or months, takes priority over what will make life
easier for hundreds of millions of passengers over the next couple of centuries.

Old December 14th 17, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Apparently, the Victoria line was subsequently criticised for inadequate
capacity in the stations, so the JLE was designed to have large, high
capacity stations, even though this meant some platforms were well
separated from others in the station. Some were OK (Canada Water, Canning
Town, Stratford, Westminster, West Ham), others less so (Waterloo, London
Bridge, Canary Wharf).