Old December 17th 17, 10:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

Default Gateline Staff Playing Games On Smart Phones

Gateline Staff Playing Games On Smart Phones

Uniformed idiot on the gateline at a TfL station on Sunday refused to open the nearest gate for me - they were all showing red crosses. Reason: he was more interested in playing games / texting on his smart phone. His attitude was of complete disinterest.

How come uniformed staff are allowed to do this - whilst also on duty?

I've seen these idiots all over the network including at TfL stations.

Paddington platform 11 (and others) is particularly acute when the gateline staff don't open the gates until a train is almost about to leave. Even whilst the CIS states 'Boarding' they refuse to open the gates.

Old December 18th 17, 07:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sunday, 17 December 2017 23:07:11 UTC, CJB wrote:

refused to open the nearest gate for me - they were all showing red crosses.

If they were showing red crosses then he couldn't open them. He probably took you to a green tick gate. Those he can open.

Paddington platform 11 (and others) is particularly acute when the gateline staff don't open the gates until a train is almost about to leave. Even whilst the CIS states 'Boarding' they refuse to open the gates.

Smartphones make them do that.
Old December 18th 17, 09:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 15:07:09 -0800 (PST)
CJB wrote:
Gateline Staff Playing Games On Smart Phones

Uniformed idiot on the gateline at a TfL station on Sunday refused to open the
nearest gate for me - they were all showing red crosses. Reason: he was more
interested in playing games / texting on his smart phone. His attitude was of
complete disinterest.

Most mornings there are 3 staff all hanging around doing nothing - not their
fault - and chatting in the station concourse. It would be far more useful to
have one of them sitting in a ticket office, at least during peak periods
anyway. I'd love to see the cost breakdown of how closing ticket offices saves
so much money because AFAICS all it does is save on the cost of heating the
ticket office room.

Old December 18th 17, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sunday, 17 December 2017 23:07:11 UTC, CJB wrote:
Gateline Staff Playing Games On Smart Phones

Uniformed idiot on the gateline at a TfL station on Sunday refused to open the nearest gate for me - they were all showing red crosses. Reason: he was more
interested in playing games / texting on his smart phone. His attitude was of complete disinterest.

I cannot say what he was doing, because I didn't see this. Maybe he was playing games, or texting, but if he was, which was it; they're quite different things, so you don't seem to know what he was actually doing.

Is it possible that he was sending or receiving work related messages? Or maybe using the 'phone for something quite different?

I work part time in a cinema, I have used a smartphone to make a remote desktop connection to a Windows laptop in the projection room to enable me to control a Dolby Digital Media Adapter from the auditorium. I'm trying to get them to install an Ethernet relay board in the lighting system so I can control the dimmers directly from an app on the phone from downstairs. Could be useful when doing conference work, lectures etc. I also have an app, and associated hardware, which allows the 'phone, or an iPod Touch, to be used as a sophisticated hearing loop tester.