Old April 1st 04, 11:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New rail operator "One"

I know the name of the rail company taking over ALL train services from
Liverpoool Street today is "One". [www.onerailway.com]

BUT - Was my friend winding me up today (1/1/04) when he said the tannoy
announcement he heard this morning at London LS, instead of being "the 0730
First Great Eastern service to ....." was changed to "the 0730 'One' service
to ....." ?!!

Annoying if you arrive 30 seconds "early" to find the train gone half a minute
ago.
Confusing if true, but I DO know what the date is, Mike!!

Old April 2nd 04, 08:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I know the name of the rail company taking over ALL train services from
Liverpoool Street today is "One". [www.onerailway.com]

Though since they seem to have four different brandings "four" would have
been more appropriate. Or better still "Four". It is very awkward having
all lower case names when you want to start a sentence with them.

BUT - Was my friend winding me up today (1/1/04) when he said the tannoy
announcement he heard this morning at London LS, instead of being "the

0730
First Great Eastern service to ....." was changed to "the 0730 'One'

service
to ....." ?!!

I don't think he was as a similar comment has appeared on uk.railway.

Old April 2nd 04, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

MorrisJ2 ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

BUT - Was my friend winding me up today (1/1/04) when he said the
tannoy announcement he heard this morning at London LS, instead of
being "the 0730 First Great Eastern service to ....." was changed to
"the 0730 'One' service to ....." ?!!

I don't think he is winding you up - SWMBO commented on a similar
announcement at Stratford - "the six oh one one service..."

Confusing if true, but I DO know what the date is, Mike!!

1st of January, apparently...?
Old April 2nd 04, 03:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Graham J wrote:
I know the name of the rail company taking over ALL train services
from Liverpoool Street today is "One". [www.onerailway.com]

Though since they seem to have four different brandings "four" would
have been more appropriate. Or better still "Four". It is very
awkward having all lower case names when you want to start a sentence
with them.

It's also misleading to call their website onerailway.com, implying
vertical integration (trains + track).

I note that most uses of the name on their website are given as 'one',
in single quotes, which at least makes a clear distinction from the
pronoun or number one. The National Express Group press release has
'One' at the beginning of sentences, but the website has lower case
throughout, so they haven't got consistent standards for their own brand
yet.

It's certainly the winner so far in the growing competition to devise
the most inappropriate, irrelevant and confusing name for your business.
Personally I would have preferred Great Eastern Trains, but I suppose
that was too simple.
--
Richard J.

Old April 2nd 04, 04:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"MorrisJ2" wrote in message
I know the name of the rail company taking over ALL train services from
Liverpoool Street today is "One". [www.onerailway.com]

BUT - Was my friend winding me up today (1/1/04) when he said the tannoy
announcement he heard this morning at London LS, instead of being "the

0730
First Great Eastern service to ....." was changed to "the 0730 'One'

service
to ....." ?!!

And how much did they pay for this masterpiece of rebranding, I wonder?

--
Brian
"What's the point in growing up if you can't behave like a kid when you want

Old April 2nd 04, 05:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(MorrisJ2) wrote in
:

Otherwise known as http://www.onerailway.co.uk/

--
Andrew Black
London
Old April 2nd 04, 05:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

I note that most uses of the name on their website are given as 'one',
in single quotes, which at least makes a clear distinction from the
pronoun or number one. The National Express Group press release has
'One' at the beginning of sentences, but the website has lower case
throughout, so they haven't got consistent standards for their own brand
yet.

Especially as it is an abbreviation for Operated by National Express, so
maybe it should be ONE or, even worse O.N.E. (does anyone put the dots in
any more?)
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For Railway Information, News & Photos check out the Award Winning Railways

Old April 2nd 04, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
It's certainly the winner so far in the growing competition to devise
the most inappropriate, irrelevant and confusing name for your business.
Personally I would have preferred Great Eastern Trains, but I suppose
that was too simple.

The fact that they have used brands like One Great Eastern, One Anglia, One
West Anglia, and One Stansted is what it most confusing, it looks as if
there are still 4 companies operating out of LST, but with some clumsy brand
applied, plus the idea of having a WA and WAGN at Cambridge must be even
more confusing.

Plus the idea of one Great Eastern sounds daft, there was only 1 Great
Eastern in the past!

A simple name which covered the whole area, I.e their proper company name
London (&) Eastern Railway, or Eastern Regional Trains, or some on would
have been better, it would have given all the separate a new combined
identity.

Old April 2nd 04, 05:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Darren wrote:

The fact that they have used brands like One Great Eastern, One Anglia, One
West Anglia, and One Stansted is what it most confusing, it looks as if
there are still 4 companies operating out of LST, but with some clumsy brand
applied, plus the idea of having a WA and WAGN at Cambridge must be even
more confusing.

Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Railway?

Niklas
--
"Kids have it easy today. All they have to listen to is stories about how back
in the '70s we had to listen to stories about how bad it was back in the '30s."
Old April 2nd 04, 09:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Niklas Karlsson" wrote in message
In article , Darren wrote:

The fact that they have used brands like One Great Eastern, One Anglia,

One
West Anglia, and One Stansted is what it most confusing, it looks as if
there are still 4 companies operating out of LST, but with some clumsy

brand
applied, plus the idea of having a WA and WAGN at Cambridge must be even
more confusing.

Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Railway?

Niklas

Ein Bahn, surely?
Grins, ducks & runs
--
Cheers, Steve.
If The Good Lord had meant for us to be fiscally prudent, He would not have