Old April 10th 18, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Ex-Victoria line unit at Action Town

On 10/04/18 02:46, Recliner wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thursday, 5 April 2018 15:03:08 UTC+1, Jarle Hammen Knudsen wrote:
On Thu, 05 Apr 2018 11:59:16 +0100, Recliner
wrote:

ridership is unexpectedly down

Why?

--
jhk

TfL have yet to publish a definitive researched result. However the
following have all been mentioned.

a) increased congestion has slowed bus services meaning people use them less.
b) risk averse "padded" bus timetables mean buses stop and "wait time"
for minutes at a time to ensure operators achieve headway targets.
Passengers get ****ed off with this nonsense (who can blame them?) and
stop using the buses.

especially when the bus is only 2 stops from its terminus

--
Martin

Old April 10th 18, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 10:20:17 on Tue, 10 Apr 2018, Recliner
remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-sept
ember.org, at 09:32:44 on Tue, 10 Apr 2018, Recliner
remarked:
Brexit could have an effect in the future if it cuts the number of EU
citizens coming to work in London, but I doubt that it's had much effect
yet.

The only "industry" I've seen publish any figures yet is University
academia, who have around 25k EU citizens employed (in teaching/
research). They have seen an alleged Brexodus effect, for example Kings
College London reportedly having around 140 leave last year compared to
around 100 previously.

What we don't know (from these reports) is whether they've managed to up
their recruitment to 140, and from where.

Yes, I think more are leaving, and fewer applying, but I'm not sure if
there's been an actual reduction employed. Indeed, with some
people wanting
to establish residency while they still can (not necessarily academics),
there could even be a temporary increase in EU migrants.

Until we see an Immigration Bill with various cut-off dates, and more
importantly what rights will accrue to workers *and* their families,
it's understandable some people will be put off taking a risk.

Yes, I'm sure that's true, but others who were just considering coming may
bring forward their arrival to be here before any cut-off date.

Incidentally, I think the dates are now agreed (ie, we conceded to the EU's
proposals),

The problem is, things keep changing. As recently as last November the
Government was sticking firmly to March 2019.

Not so firmly, it now turns out. As in most aspects of the transition deal,
it's been agreed on the EU's terms.

Which are what? Mindful that "the devil will be in the detail".

but I'm not sure if immigrants' family rights are also confirmed.

Even the immigrants themselves. One report I've read says it's
restricted to: "EU citizens who are working, self-employed, studying,
who have sufficient resources for themselves and their families
..." and can thus apply [up to the end of 2020] for "pre-settled
status", which is basically a concession while they build up five years
residence before applying for UK Citizenship. Not all such applications
succeed.

Yes, that area remains confused. I wonder why such an application would be
refused?

A criminal record is an obvious one.
Old April 10th 18, 03:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 14:22:05 on Tue, 10 Apr 2018, Recliner
remarked:
Brexit could have an effect in the future if it cuts the number of EU
citizens coming to work in London, but I doubt that it's had much effect
yet.

If the amount of Polish I hear on my journey

I wonder what they're saying about you?

Notalot I imagine. They're probably thinking "Perhaps I should have worked
harder at school and got some decent qualifications, then I wouldn't have to
travel 1000 miles just to get a job making overpriced coffee for mininum wage".

They're probably graduates in a field with few jobs back home.

FSVO "home". The more I look into it, the more I see that UK nationals
with UK degrees are likely to be "working in retail" the first few years
after uni while they try to find something more permanent.
Old April 10th 18, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 14:22:05 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 12:41:58 +0100
Recliner wrote:
On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 08:33:02 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 01:46:24 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Brexit could have an effect in the future if it cuts the number of EU
citizens coming to work in London, but I doubt that it's had much effect
yet.

If the amount of Polish I hear on my journey

I wonder what they're saying about you?

Notalot I imagine. They're probably thinking "Perhaps I should have worked
harder at school and got some decent qualifications, then I wouldn't have to
travel 1000 miles just to get a job making overpriced coffee for mininum

wage".

They're probably graduates in a field with few jobs back home.

If you've got a degree in engineering you don't move across a continent to
work for **** wages in a coffee shop and live in a bedsit. They could do that
in their own country. Some might be here as students to learn english or just
for the sake of living abroad, but in general the blue collar sector gets the
bottom of the barrel who are too useless to get a job back home or do jobs
where the work moves around such as in construction and are so desperate for
work they're quite happy to be treated as virtual slaves in a way that brits
would not. Its a license for employers to exploit.