Old May 11th 18, 05:08 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London
Default New road tunnel under the Thames

A new tunnel under the Thames has been given planning approval. The usual anti-motor vehicle fanatics are, predictably, out in force:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...cid=spartandhp

If I were to argue against this new tunnel, I would concentrate on the hypocrisy of The Mayor and TfL, and the huge financial waste caused by their policies.

Essentially this new tunnel will be a supplement to the Blackwall Tunnel.

Before TfL, the Blackwall Tunnel was congested northbound only in the morning rush hour, Mondays to Fridays. In the late afternoon there were lengthy queues southbound and none at all northbound. I write with some authority here because for years I worked in Dartford and drove each morning southbound and returned northbound after work.

TfL re-arranged the northbound approach to the mouth of the tunnel a few years ago, with the result that huge queues of traffic are now normal including on Sundays! North of the tunnel TfL, with their usual highly suspect enthusiasm for traffic lights, have quite unnecessarily installed new traffic lights at Zetland Street, preventing traffic from flowing freely.

TfL and our beloved Mayor, with brazen hypocrisy, claim this new tunnel is necessary because of congestion at Blackwall Tunnel! The anti-motor car brigade makes no reference to any of this in their various tirades. They claim the new tunnel is a waste of money. I agree, but not for the reasons they put forward.

Last edited by Robin9 : May 12th 18 at 08:51 AM

Old May 13th 18, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

HMU
CALL OR TEXT or watsapp ....+237679045806
Wickr id............rocheseller35
Email

hello we are leading suppliers of pharmaceutical product meds online we operate on daily and retails basis and very reliable and our product are 100% top quality am ready to supply on large and smaller orders and i am looking in building a strong business relationship with potential client around the world i do world wide delivery and delivery is guarantee.
see price list offer and pm me or you can get me on whatsapp

FOR ZOLPICLONE 7.5MG SMALLER ORDER
250 tabs..........................‎£90
500 tabs...........................‎£150
1000 tabs.........................‎£250
2500 tabs.........................£350
5000 tabs.........................£500
7500 tabs.........................£700
10000 tabs........................£850
15000 tabs........................£1200
25000 tabs........................£1500
FOR DIAZEPAM SHALINA BRAND
diazepam 10mg 500pills £100
diazepam 10mg 300pills £70
diazepam 10mg 1000pills £150
diazepam 10mg 5000pills £350
diazepam 5mg 1000pills £120
diazepam 5mg 5000pills £300
diazepam 5mg 10000pills £500
diazepam 10mg 10000pills £700
FOR ROCHE DIAZEPAMS 10MG SMALLER ORDER
250 tabs..........................‎£90
500 tabs...........................‎£150
1000 tabs.........................‎£250
2500 tabs.........................£350
5000 tabs.........................£500
7500 tabs.........................£700
10000 tabs........................£850
15000 tabs........................£1200
25000 tabs........................£1500
TEVA 10MG DIAZEPAMS SMALLER ORDER
250 tabs...........................‎£90
500 tabs...........................‎£150
1000 tabs.........................‎£250
2500 tabs.........................£350
5000 tabs.........................£500
7500 tabs.........................£700
10000 tabs.......................£850
15000 tabs.......................£1200
25000 tabs.......................£1500
ketamine £20 each vial/1g
ketamine powder each gram £25
FOR TRAMADOL APPLE FLAVOUR
tramadol 50mg 250pills £80
tramadol 100mg 300pills £90
tramadol 225mg 300pills £120
tramadol 50mg 500pills £130
tramadol 100mg 500pills £140
tramadol 250mg 500pills £150
tramadol 50mg 1000pills £200
tramadol 100mg 1000pills £220
tramadol 250mg 1000pills £250
FOR TRAMADOL BULK ORDER
tramadol 50mg 5000pills £450
tramadol 100mg 5000pills £550
tramadol 250mg 5000pills £700
i also have my delivery records all around the worlds and i providedated pictures with buyers name and my name CALL US OR TEXT ....+237679045806 email for detailsi supply more than the quantity listed,i give additional discount to more larger ordersi look forward in doing great business with reliable buyersthanks email for details kushpharma35

Old May 14th 18, 12:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

http://tinyurl.com/ydbvex4q

[...]

Well you cannot be surprised that people living in and around Greenwich and Woolwich have been particularly vocal on this given the appalling day to day traffic and congestion issues they have to tolerate. Air quality is pretty appalling and we all know what new transport infrastructure does, road or rail, - it generates additional trips if journey times fall.

There are several other interesting factors.

1. TfL has no binding agreement with Newham Council. Both parties are in legal dispute.
2. RB Greenwich and Tower Hamlets apparently do have agreements tentatively in plae but yet signed off. Several RBG Councillors now want to undo the agreement because they've realised they've been "done over" partly by TfL and partly by their own crappy negotiation stance. It remains to be seen if RBG will be brave / brazen enough to undo what's already been agreed and go back to the drawing board in terms of additional protections for their residents.
3. It remains to be seen whether TfL can actually get a PFI type deal in place to build the tunnel. I am very sceptical about this unless they've got a whole load of outline deals already scoped with potential constructors of the tunnel. PFI deals can take years to finalise and fund and the next Mayoral election is less than 2 years away. I doubt a spade will have been put in the ground before May 2020.
4. TfL have had a number of additional conditions imposed on them by the Secretary of State. During the inquiry stage TfL pulled back on his commitments to provide new bus routes through the tunnel. The new levels were worse than had been evaluated in their case to the inquiry. Mr Grayling has added a condition that forces TfL to provide the original level of bus services (oh dear more cost and expense that they can't afford).
5. A similar condition has been imposed about provision of shuttle transport through the tunnel for pedestrians and cyclists. Again something that TfL were less than enthused about.
6. I think there will be considerable outcry about the planned imposition of tolls on the Blackwall Tunnel and Woolwich Free Ferry. I thought there was very long standing legal precedent that ensures the Woolwich Ferry remains free. Perhaps TfL have overturned this but I can foresee a massive reaction against charges to use that link.

I have very mixed views about the Silvertown tunnel. I can see the "need" for better cross river transport in East London. However a road tunnel (or bridge) is likely to have massive traffic and developmental impacts which would be entirely contrary to things like air quality strategy. I still don't think it will be built because of funding and political issues - the 2020 election will likely stymie the start of construction and you can guarantee it will be a huge issue in what are key Labour constituencies for the Mayor / Assembly members.

--
Paul C
via Google
Old May 14th 18, 07:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14/05/2018 01:14, Paul Corfield wrote:

snip

6. ...I thought there was very long standing legal precedent that ensures the Woolwich Ferry remains free. ...

Yes in as much as removing the ferry or introducing tolls would require
an amendment to the Metropolitan Board of Works (Various Powers) Act
1885. I have no feel for how hard it'd be to find space in a Bill to do
that and get it through.

--
Robin
Old May 14th 18, 09:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Monday, 14 May 2018 01:14:57 UTC+1, Paul Corfield wrote:

Well you cannot be surprised that people living in and around Greenwich and Woolwich have been particularly vocal on this given the appalling day to day traffic and congestion issues they have to tolerate...

In the last 25 years Greenwich seems to have done amazingly well as regards public transport. There are the two DLR station, Greenwich and, above all, Cutty Sark; there is North Greenwich station and its bus hub; there is a cable car, which is not to be sneezed at; the river services have been increased and made oyster-friendly LOL; I am not sure about the buses, but buses have increased all over London.

But the Greenwichoids must have their little kvetch. They must wail, weep and keen because they want shiny things.

Old May 14th 18, 04:19 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Corfield View Post
On Friday, 11 May 2018 18:58:41 UTC+1, Robin9 wrote:
A new tunnel under the Thames has been given planning approval. The
usual anti-motor vehicle fanatics are, predictably, out in force:

Fury as new 1billion tunnel under the Thames finally gets the green light after 13 years

[...]

Thanks for that.

I must admit I was unaware of this project until I came across that linked article, so I don't know what objections have been put forward by local residents. I wasn't referring to them when I mentioned the usual anti-road fanatics: Friends Of the Earth; the Green Party, Caroline Pidgeon; The Campaign For Better Transport and so on.

As far as the environment is concerned, the main point, and one I've made before, is that keeping traffic moving at a sensible speed produces less air pollution than is created by stationary or very slow moving traffic. The huge increase in traffic queues at the southern approach (northbound) to the Blackwall Tunnel caused by TfL must have substantially increased traffic fumes so I can well believe that local people are alarmed, even though their alarm might be premature.

I'm surprised about the intervention of the SOS for Transport. I didn't realise he had a horse in this race. This is a London project run by TfL, the statutory body with responsibility for trunk roads in the London area who are also organising the finance. The Mayor is ultimate arbiter of planning matters in London. What role has the SOS to play and what authority does he have to dictate to TfL how they should proceed with this project?

I certainly agree that the imposition of tolls on the Blackwall Tunnel will arouse great anger. As I've said before, motorists are the sleeping tigers of London politics. It best not to awaken them.

Last edited by Robin9 : May 14th 18 at 04:22 PM
Old May 17th 18, 01:17 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

On the subject of increased air pollution caused by wrong-headed policies about roads, I doubt very much if H. M. Government will use that in their defence:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...cid=spartandhp