Old April 11th 04, 12:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New York's PATH meeting this Wednesday

On 10/04/2004 17:40, in article
, "Michael Wares"
wrote:

There's a new edition out, by Fordham University Press.

I'd also recommend "The Hudson and Manhattan Railroad Revisited" by
Paul Carleton, published by D. Carleton Rail Books.

Thanks. Will try to find one.

Old April 11th 04, 07:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Stephen Furley
writes
There was a suggestion at one time of extending Path East of the WTC site,
then turning North to join one of the existing Subway lines,

[...]
Somebody reported that
Path is incompatible with the Subway, but, espically since Path is to get
new rolling stock soon, I would have thought the work involved to make it
compatible would be relatively minor,

Isn't PATH rather smaller than the Subway? If so, there may well be
platform-train spacing problems.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old April 11th 04, 07:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
The system was at one time known as the 'Hudson Tubes',

Are you sure that's the whole line? Various underwater tunnels in the
New York area are the "name Tubes",

Bad memory on my part - they are the "name Tunnels".

PATH was, of course, the Hudson and Manhattan Railway and thence the
Hudson Tubes. Sorry.

Old April 26th 04, 07:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bob Watt wrote in message ...
On 09/04/2004 12:26, in article ,

The large-scale models were high up on the walls, about 30 ft. up.

Bob, I am in New York at the moment, I had a look at Hoboken Terminal
yesterday afternoon. There is one model still there, I'm not sure
which RR company it was from, but it was dark red in colour. It is
rather difficult to see; there is a Hudson News outlet on the station
I don't know if it was there when you saw the models, but it has
entrances from both inside the waiting room, and outsine, on the
station concourse. The model I saw was on top of the part inside the
waiting room, and difficult to see, unless you are standing in just
the right place. It was almost certainly there before, but I just
didn't notice it. I don't know where the other one is, I can't see it
anywhere.

There seems to be some refurbishment work taking place on the old
ferry terminal building now.
Old April 28th 04, 05:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default PATH update (was New York's PATH meeting this Wednesday)

"Stephen Furley" wrote in message
.. .

"John Rowland" wrote in message

There is still talk of reusing the Hudson Terminal site for the new
permanent World Trade Center station, because the demolished WTC station
(and the temporary station) are partly in the footprint which the WTC
relatives want kept sacred.

There was a suggestion at one time of extending Path East of the WTC site,
then turning North to join one of the existing Subway lines, I think it

may
have been the 6, towards Lexington Avenue, joining it somewhere near the

old
dis-used City Hall station on the loop where the 6 turns now, but I'm not
sure about this. There was a web-site about it. Somebody reported that
Path is incompatible with the Subway, but, espically since Path is to get
new rolling stock soon, I would have thought the work involved to make it
compatible would be relatively minor, in terms of the total reconstruction
of the WTC site. Whether there would be any other technical problems, and
whether there would be enough demand for such a service, I have no idea.

Was
any mention made of this.

Apparently the Port Authority of NY & NJ has decided to oppose the idea of
connecting PATH to the #6 Lexington Avenue local line. There is a report at
http://www.hudsoncity.net/tubes/njar...lexington.html showing the
proposed route. The idea was advocated by NJ_ARP, the New Jersey Association
of Railroad Passengers, as a means of providing Jersey residents with a
direct route to Grand Gentral Station, and the highest concentration of
office space in midtown Manhattan.

Instead of building the useful PATH - IRT connection, they are spending
billions of FEMA money (earmarked for Lower Manhattan after 9/11) on the
permanent PATH terminal designed by Calatrava, and on the Fulton Street
Transit Hub, neither of which will add one single inch of rail to the
system.

Old April 28th 04, 05:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26/04/2004 20:08, in article
, "Stephen Furley"
wrote:

Bob, I am in New York at the moment, I had a look at Hoboken Terminal
yesterday afternoon. There is one model still there, I'm not sure
which RR company it was from, but it was dark red in colour.

That sounds like the one I remember, but I can't remember which RR it
represented.

there is a Hudson News outlet on the station
I don't know if it was there when you saw the models, but it has
entrances from both inside the waiting room, and outsine, on the
station concourse. The model I saw was on top of the part inside the
waiting room, and difficult to see, unless you are standing in just
the right place. It was almost certainly there before, but I just
didn't notice it.

I don't remember the Hudson News outlet, but my visits there were almost
thirty years ago - indeed, they were pre-Conrail, in the days of E-L.

There seems to be some refurbishment work taking place on the old
ferry terminal building now.

That's good - I must have seen Hoboken terminal at its lowest ebb, and it
was obvious that refurbishment or demolition must follow soon. The
surrounding area was pretty well at rock bottom as well, and I understand
there's been a lot of redevelopment. In particular, coming up to street
level at Pavonia was like emerging into a nuclear wasteland.

Thanks for the information - time I visited NYC again.

Old May 19th 04, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Hoboken Terminal

On 26/04/2004 20:08, in article
, "Stephen Furley"
wrote:

Bob, I am in New York at the moment, I had a look at Hoboken Terminal
yesterday afternoon. There is one model still there, I'm not sure
which RR company it was from, but it was dark red in colour. It is
rather difficult to see; there is a Hudson News outlet on the station
I don't know if it was there when you saw the models, but it has
entrances from both inside the waiting room, and outsine, on the
station concourse. The model I saw was on top of the part inside the
waiting room, and difficult to see, unless you are standing in just
the right place. It was almost certainly there before, but I just
didn't notice it. I don't know where the other one is, I can't see it
anywhere.

I've just been looking at some old copies of 'Trains' magazine; the August
1998 issue has a long article about NJT, with a photograph of the interior
of Hoboken Terminal. From this I can see that, if you stand in the middle
of the waiting room facing the Hudson News outlet, and then turn 90 degrees
right, you will be facing the wall with the ticket windows, and in the
centre of that wall is a large archway which, IIRC, is the entrance from the
street. I think one of the locomotive models was above that archway, but
the photograph shows something rather like a Solari indicator where the
model used to be.

I also think the other model was in the wall opposite the street entrance,
so it sounds as if both have been moved, and space was found for one over
the Hudson News outlet (the photo is way too dark to detect a model in that
position). I hope the other one is safely stored somewhere.