London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old June 16th 18, 11:58 PM
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Default Contactless tube payment accepted by Natwest despite zero funds

Hi guys I had 2.87 in my Natwest business account. This account has no overdraft so typically doesn't let me spend if the transaction would take me below 0.

Anyway yesterday I made a journey from Victoria to Highgate, from Highgate to Victoria, Victoria to Westminster and Charing Cross to Highgate. I was able to touch my contactless card to open the barriers for all these journeys.

Today I was unable to use the card when getting on at Highgate to start my first journey of the day.

Is there a chance that Natwest will heavily charge me for using contactless when there was only 2.87 available? Or is it possible that all the trips only cost 2.87?

Since coming home I have topped up the account for when the money is taken out by TFL so it shouldn't go overdrawn

  #2   Report Post  
Old June 17th 18, 10:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,208
Default Contactless tube payment accepted by Natwest despite zero funds

In message , at 00:58:36 on
Sun, 17 Jun 2018, matthew3774
remarked:

Hi guys I had 2.87 in my Natwest business account. This account has no
overdraft so typically doesn't let me spend if the transaction would
take me below 0.

Anyway yesterday I made a journey from Victoria to Highgate, from
Highgate to Victoria, Victoria to Westminster and Charing Cross to
Highgate. I was able to touch my contactless card to open the barriers
for all these journeys.

Today I was unable to use the card when getting on at Highgate to start
my first journey of the day.


That suggests Natwest refused the full charge for the previous day.

Is there a chance that Natwest will heavily charge me for using
contactless when there was only 2.87 available? Or is it possible that
all the trips only cost 2.87?

Since coming home I have topped up the account for when the money is
taken out by TFL so it shouldn't go overdrawn


I don't know if TfL will periodically "retry" the charge, or what
happens next, and what timescale the card's blacklisting by TfL will
wear off.
--
Roland Perry
  #3   Report Post  
Old June 17th 18, 11:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,677
Default Contactless tube payment accepted by Natwest despite zero funds

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 00:58:36 on
Sun, 17 Jun 2018, matthew3774
remarked:

Hi guys I had £2.87 in my Natwest business account. This account has no
overdraft so typically doesn't let me spend if the transaction would
take me below £0.

Anyway yesterday I made a journey from Victoria to Highgate, from
Highgate to Victoria, Victoria to Westminster and Charing Cross to
Highgate. I was able to touch my contactless card to open the barriers
for all these journeys.

Today I was unable to use the card when getting on at Highgate to start
my first journey of the day.


That suggests Natwest refused the full charge for the previous day.


Yes:
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless/my-card-doesn-t-work#on-this-page-3


Is there a chance that Natwest will heavily charge me for using
contactless when there was only £2.87 available? Or is it possible that
all the trips only cost £2.87?

Since coming home I have topped up the account for when the money is
taken out by TFL so it shouldn't go overdrawn


I don't know if TfL will periodically "retry" the charge, or what
happens next, and what timescale the card's blacklisting by TfL will
wear off.


From:
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless/my-card-doesn-t-work#on-this-page-4

Occasionally your card may be accepted by our card readers, but the payment
is subsequently declined by your card issuer. If this happens:

- It means that you have made a journey which you have not paid for

- You will not be able to use your card again to travel until the unpaid
fare has been paid

You will get a notification for unpaid fares when you sign in to your
contactless and Oyster account where you can make a payment to clear the
unpaid fare. Alternatively, you can call us on 0343 222 1234 (TfL call
charges) or contact your card issuer.

Once an unpaid fare has been cleared, you will be able to use your
contactless card, mobile or other contactless device to travel again after
30 minutes.

If you do not clear the unpaid fare through your account or by phone, we
will try to do so by sending requests to your card issuer. If the payment
is successful, this could appear on your card issuer statement up to 30
days after you travelled.

  #4   Report Post  
Old June 17th 18, 11:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,208
Default Contactless tube payment accepted by Natwest despite zero funds

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 11:23:38 on Sun, 17 Jun 2018, Recliner
remarked:
I don't know if TfL will periodically "retry" the charge, or what
happens next, and what timescale the card's blacklisting by TfL will
wear off.


From:
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless/my-card-doesn-t-work#on-this-page-4

Occasionally your card may be accepted by our card readers, but the payment
is subsequently declined by your card issuer. If this happens:

- It means that you have made a journey which you have not paid for

- You will not be able to use your card again to travel until the unpaid
fare has been paid

You will get a notification for unpaid fares when you sign in to your
contactless and Oyster account where you can make a payment to clear the
unpaid fare. Alternatively, you can call us on 0343 222 1234 (TfL call
charges) or contact your card issuer.

Once an unpaid fare has been cleared, you will be able to use your
contactless card, mobile or other contactless device to travel again after
30 minutes.

If you do not clear the unpaid fare through your account or by phone, we
will try to do so by sending requests to your card issuer.


Some banks will charge the account holder a fee every time they "bounce"
an incoming payment

I know someone who had that happen (for the same payment) there times a
day, until they'd added some funds. They did get the fees refunded when
they complained, though.

If the payment is successful, this could appear on your card issuer
statement up to 30 days after you travelled.


--
Roland Perry
  #5   Report Post  
Old June 17th 18, 12:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,677
Default Contactless tube payment accepted by Natwest despite zero funds

Roland Perry wrote:
In message
-septe
mber.org, at 11:23:38 on Sun, 17 Jun 2018, Recliner
remarked:
I don't know if TfL will periodically "retry" the charge, or what
happens next, and what timescale the card's blacklisting by TfL will
wear off.


From:
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless/my-card-doesn-t-work#on-this-page-4

Occasionally your card may be accepted by our card readers, but the payment
is subsequently declined by your card issuer. If this happens:

- It means that you have made a journey which you have not paid for

- You will not be able to use your card again to travel until the unpaid
fare has been paid

You will get a notification for unpaid fares when you sign in to your
contactless and Oyster account where you can make a payment to clear the
unpaid fare. Alternatively, you can call us on 0343 222 1234 (TfL call
charges) or contact your card issuer.

Once an unpaid fare has been cleared, you will be able to use your
contactless card, mobile or other contactless device to travel again after
30 minutes.

If you do not clear the unpaid fare through your account or by phone, we
will try to do so by sending requests to your card issuer.


Some banks will charge the account holder a fee every time they "bounce"
an incoming payment


Yes, and business accounts are more likely to impose such charges than
private accounts. I was quite surprised that, in the days when I had a
business account, that it had a monthly fee, while my much busier personal
account was free.


I know someone who had that happen (for the same payment) there times a
day, until they'd added some funds. They did get the fees refunded when
they complained, though.

If the payment is successful, this could appear on your card issuer
statement up to 30 days after you travelled.







  #6   Report Post  
Old June 17th 18, 01:29 PM
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2018
Posts: 5
Default

Apparently a payment for 13 came out today to TFL, I topped up my account last night and NatWest said there were no charges on the account at the moment, something about how the weekend counts as a Monday so it would be unlikely there would be any.

I dont think TFL contactless payments are normally taken from the account straight away anyway, theres a couple of days delay, during which time I topped up the account, so hopefully Ill be good
  #7   Report Post  
Old June 17th 18, 06:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,208
Default Contactless tube payment accepted by Natwest despite zero funds

In message , at 14:29:55 on
Sun, 17 Jun 2018, matthew3774
remarked:

Apparently a payment for £13 came out today to TFL, I topped up my
account last night and NatWest said there were no charges on the account
at the moment, something about how the weekend counts as a Monday so it
would be unlikely there would be any.

I don’t think TFL contactless payments are normally taken from the
account straight away anyway, there’s a couple of days delay, during
which time I topped up the account, so hopefully I’ll be good


My Prepay (see other threads) contactless card was debited on Friday for
trips made last Thursday.

Given the TfL day probably doesn't finish until after midnight, that's
entirely what I'd expect from an overnight calculation of the amount
due.
--
Roland Perry
  #8   Report Post  
Old June 17th 18, 08:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,677
Default Contactless tube payment accepted by Natwest despite zero funds

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:29:55 on
Sun, 17 Jun 2018, matthew3774
remarked:

Apparently a payment for £13 came out today to TFL, I topped up my
account last night and NatWest said there were no charges on the account
at the moment, something about how the weekend counts as a Monday so it
would be unlikely there would be any.

I don’t think TFL contactless payments are normally taken from the
account straight away anyway, there’s a couple of days delay, during
which time I topped up the account, so hopefully I’ll be good


My Prepay (see other threads) contactless card was debited on Friday for
trips made last Thursday.

Given the TfL day probably doesn't finish until after midnight, that's
entirely what I'd expect from an overnight calculation of the amount
due.


Well after midnight: the capping day runs from 04:30 to 04:29.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/oyster/using-oyster/price-capping#on-this-page-1

  #9   Report Post  
Old June 18th 18, 05:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,208
Default Contactless tube payment accepted by Natwest despite zero funds

In message
-sept
ember.org, at 20:28:31 on Sun, 17 Jun 2018, Recliner
remarked:
Apparently a payment for £13 came out today to TFL, I topped up my
account last night and NatWest said there were no charges on the account
at the moment, something about how the weekend counts as a Monday so it
would be unlikely there would be any.

I don’t think TFL contactless payments are normally taken from the
account straight away anyway, there’s a couple of days delay, during
which time I topped up the account, so hopefully I’ll be good


My Prepay (see other threads) contactless card was debited on Friday for
trips made last Thursday.

Given the TfL day probably doesn't finish until after midnight, that's
entirely what I'd expect from an overnight calculation of the amount
due.


Well after midnight: the capping day runs from 04:30 to 04:29.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/oyster/using-oyster/price-capping#on-this-page-1


Indeed, and so the charge is made to the card the same day (in banking
terms) as the total is calculated.

Next time I run the field trip, I'll look and see roughly when during
the day the charge pops up.
--
Roland Perry
  #10   Report Post  
Old June 18th 18, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2017
Posts: 290
Default Contactless tube payment accepted by Natwest despite zero funds

On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 14:29:55 +0100
matthew3774 wrote:
Apparently a payment for 13 came out today to TFL, I topped up my
account last night and NatWest said there were no charges on the account
at the moment, something about how the weekend counts as a Monday so it
would be unlikely there would be any.

I dont think TFL contactless payments are normally taken from the
account straight away anyway, theres a couple of days delay, during
which time I topped up the account, so hopefully Ill be good


Or you could just use an oyster card instead and not have to worry about it.



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TfL, Oyster, contactless payment cards and Apple Pay. [email protected] London Transport 44 April 20th 16 02:28 PM
TfL Contactless - no funds in bank account? Christopher Miles-Patrick Date London Transport 6 September 30th 14 09:08 AM
Contactless payment on tube Roland Perry London Transport 50 May 24th 14 11:34 AM
London buses to offer contactless payment card option from tomorrow(12/12/12) Mizter T London Transport 107 December 22nd 12 10:54 AM
Contactless ('wave-and-pay') payment progress? Mizter T London Transport 42 December 12th 12 09:55 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017