London Banter

-   -   Signal failure at Victoria (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15806-signal-failure-victoria.html)

Graeme Wall July 5th 18 09:58 AM

Signal failure at Victoria

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44721415

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

eastender[_5_] July 5th 18 11:20 AM

Signal failure at Victoria

To be accurate it's a power outage in Streatham.

Roland Perry July 5th 18 11:28 AM

Signal failure at Victoria

In message , at 09:58:26 on Thu, 5 Jul 2018,
Graeme Wall remarked:

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44721415

I smell a rat.

It's extremely unlikely that Network Rail has experienced the
simultaneous failure of three separate incoming grid feeds, nor would it
take all day to get just one of them re-instated.

This sounds like the *Network Rail* equipment which merges the three
feeds into the supply to the signalling centre has gone up in smoke.

Any other electricity supply issues reported overnight in Stretham?

Roland Perry July 5th 18 12:08 PM

Signal failure at Victoria

In message , at 09:58:26 on Thu, 5 Jul 2018,
Graeme Wall remarked:
Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44721415

It just did:

11:23
Disruption expected until 7am tomorrow

National Rail has now said disruption will continue until at least 7am
tomorrow morning (Friday, July 6).

Anna Noyd-Dryver July 5th 18 12:50 PM

Signal failure at Victoria

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:58:26 on Thu, 5 Jul 2018,
Graeme Wall remarked:

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44721415

I smell a rat.

It's extremely unlikely that Network Rail has experienced the
simultaneous failure of three separate incoming grid feeds, nor would it
take all day to get just one of them re-instated.

This sounds like the *Network Rail* equipment which merges the three
feeds into the supply to the signalling centre has gone up in smoke.

Any other electricity supply issues reported overnight in Stretham?

Presumably you’re referring to the tweet referenced in that article
“Passengers are advised not to travel from the South into London this
morning due to total loss of signalling power that Network Rail has
experienced on 3 separate supplies in Streatham area.”? I see no
suggestion that it’s external rather than railway-internal power supplies
which have failed.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Roland Perry July 5th 18 01:34 PM

Signal failure at Victoria

In message , at 11:50:20 on Thu, 5 Jul 2018,
Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

It's one signalling centre which is without power, thus the "three
supplies" must be those for that centre.

Here's another report from Network Rail (via Simon Calder):

"A generator has been sourced to isolate the power feed and is
expected to arrive at the signalling centre later this morning.
Once the generator arrives, the situation will be re-assessed."

Note, not three generators, one for each of hypothetically three
separate sites.

Roland Perry July 5th 18 02:45 PM

Signal failure at Victoria

In message , at 13:34:01 on Thu, 5 Jul
2018, Roland Perry remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Note that I've seen the post-mortems of various data centre power
outages. They typically have two grid power feeds, plus generators/UPS
on site. What almost always goes wrong (apart from there being no fuel
in the generator tanks because they've been doing too much test-running)
is that occasionally the fail-over mechanisms, err, fail. [When they
work, few outsiders get to hear about it]

While I'm not speculating about the precise cause of this particular
incident, what's happened before is one of two alternate power feeds
failing for a random reason (the kind of back-hoe or other incident
which is why you have two feeds in the first place), then the "fuses
blowing" on the second feed, because instead of the feeds being sized
for (say) 40% each in normal circumstances, thus 80% when one is
operating alone; they turn out to have been supplying 60% each, and
when one fails the other can't supply 120%.

Anyway, here's a recent example of failing fail-over in a different
transport industry:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...data_centre_co
nfiguration/

Jim Chisholm July 5th 18 02:50 PM

Signal failure at Victoria

On 05/07/2018 11:28, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:58:26 on Thu, 5 Jul 2018,
Graeme Wall remarked:

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44721415

I smell a rat.

Of course it could be a rat (probably fried)
&
I bet a lot of equipment cabinets are not designed to dissipate the sort
of heat we currently have. I remember building simple circuits and
seeing how tolerant they were to both low and high temperatures as they
were to be in a field.

[email protected] July 5th 18 03:45 PM

Signal failure at Victoria

On 05/07/2018 14:50, Jim Chisholm wrote:
On 05/07/2018 11:28, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:58:26 on Thu, 5 Jul
2018, Graeme Wall remarked:

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44721415

I smell a rat.

Of course it could be a rat (probably fried)
&
I bet a lot of equipment cabinets are not designed to dissipate the sort
of heat* we currently have. I remember building simple circuits and
seeing how tolerant they were to both low and high temperatures as they
were to be in a field.

I wonder how often failures like this occur in India due to heat?

We do have hot summers and cold winters -- perhaps not to the same
degree and length, respectively, as India and Russia, but nonetheless we
are hit with weather extremes.

martin.coffee July 5th 18 04:35 PM

Signal failure at Victoria

On 05/07/18 15:45, wrote:
On 05/07/2018 14:50, Jim Chisholm wrote:
On 05/07/2018 11:28, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:58:26 on Thu, 5 Jul
2018, Graeme Wall remarked:

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44721415

I smell a rat.

Of course it could be a rat (probably fried)
&
I bet a lot of equipment cabinets are not designed to dissipate the
sort of heat* we currently have. I remember building simple circuits
and seeing how tolerant they were to both low and high temperatures as
they were to be in a field.

I wonder how often failures like this occur in India due to heat?

We do have hot summers and cold winters -- perhaps not to the same
degree and length, respectively, as India and Russia, but nonetheless we
are hit with weather extremes.

Even if the equipment is designed for these temperatures it is being
stressed in a way that faults not normally apparat will emerge so it is
not surprising that that there are heat related problems.