Old July 25th 18, 11:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Crossrail GBP590m over budget

On 25/07/2018 19:42, Clank wrote:
Robin Wrote in message:
On 25/07/2018 11:48, Mike Roberts wrote:
On 25/07/18 10:22, Robin wrote:
On 25/07/2018 09:43, Recliner wrote:

but I've been told
they are available from LO ticket machines (I've not put it to the
test).

Yep, the "new" (couple of years ago?) LO machines sell tickets from
Boundary Zone 6 (or 5,4,...) to ....

Then I hope somebody at TfL reads this and gets the UndergounD machines
to offer a BZ6 extension to Gatwick. There is no gate-line between
Stanmore and Gatwick on my preferred route. It has been a pain ever
since they closed the ticket office.

I'd rather [all] the machines at Network Rail stations started issuing
them. I could have sworn I'd used one at Victoria that did but
discovered last year they didn't. Given the length of the queue for the
ticket office I only caught my planned train thanks to a kind employee
sending me to one of the excess fares counters.

That's a major regression if so - Southern ticket machines have sold boundary extensions since pretty much forever.

Many (all?) Southern ticket machines have been replaced in the past year
or so, and now don't seem to have a start from elsewhere option.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old July 25th 18, 11:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 25/07/18 10:22, Robin wrote:
On 25/07/2018 09:43, Recliner wrote:

but I've been told
they are available from LO ticket machines (I've not put it to the
test).

Yep, the "new" (couple of years ago?) LO machines sell tickets from
Boundary Zone 6 (or 5,4,...) to ....

Then I hope somebody at TfL reads this and gets the UndergounD machines
to offer a BZ6 extension to Gatwick. There is no gate-line between
Stanmore and Gatwick on my preferred route. It has been a pain ever
since they closed the ticket office.

I'd rather [all] the machines at Network Rail stations started issuing
them. I could have sworn I'd used one at Victoria that did but
discovered last year they didn't. Given the length of the queue for the
ticket office I only caught my planned train thanks to a kind employee
sending me to one of the excess fares counters.

That's a major regression if so - Southern ticket machines have sold boundary extensions since pretty much forever. I mean since the Connex SouthCentral days level of forever.

Just asked 'er indoors and she's had the same experience with the
machine at Victoria.

Weird; they've reprogrammed or replaced them, then. Since Connex days it's been (digging deep into memory) press small "tickets from another station" button on the first screen, then start typing "bou...", and the various boundary options appear as starting stations.

Thanks, I'll try that next time I'm there. It is certainly all that's
needed on the LO machines.

We both (separately) sought help from staff at Victoria who told us it
couldn't be done. But that sadly probably counts for little.

--
Robin
Old July 26th 18, 01:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 25/07/18 10:22, Robin wrote:
[...]

Good Lord, that country really does seem to be on a relentless march backwards in all respects. I'm sure Robin is right, then.

A particularly insane regression in London where I'd hazard to guess the vast majority of regular travellers have some kind of zonal season ticket and will almost never actually be starting their fare (as opposed to journey) from one of the terminals when they go out of town. Or wouldn't be if they realised the railways were fiddling them, anyway.

Old July 26th 18, 05:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 26/07/2018 11:45, Clank wrote:

A particularly insane regression in London where I'd hazard to guess
the vast majority of regular travellers have some kind of zonal
season ticket

Can we assume that, in a world of Oyster, contactless, point-to-point
tickets where they still exist being cheaper than zonal tickets, and a
wider political desire to one day do away with season tickets?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old July 26th 18, 05:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 26/07/2018 17:36, Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 26/07/2018 11:45, Clank wrote:

A particularly insane regression in London where I'd hazard to guess
the vast majority of regular travellers have some kind of zonal
season ticket

Can we assume that, in a world of Oyster, contactless, point-to-point
tickets where they still exist being cheaper than zonal tickets, and a
wider political desire to one day do away with season tickets?

I don't think season tickets are going away anytime soon.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old July 26th 18, 07:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Arthur Figgis Wrote in message:
On 26/07/2018 11:45, Clank wrote:

A particularly insane regression in London where I'd hazard to guess
the vast majority of regular travellers have some kind of zonal
season ticket

Can we assume that, in a world of Oyster, contactless, point-to-point
tickets where they still exist being cheaper than zonal tickets, and a
wider political desire to one day do away with season tickets?

Granted it's been a while since I was living in London, but my annual Gold Card was loaded onto my Oyster, and since as far as I'm aware they haven't implemented annual capping I'm going to guess most commuters still do the same.

Old July 28th 18, 02:34 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 11:58:01 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

Toilets at all the core stations (except Bond Street which never was
planned to have them for some reason).

Charging for toiltes could have been a source of revenue.

--
jhk