Old April 8th 04, 04:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Free Airport Transit?

I forget but, do either or both the Heathrow Express and the Tube offer free
rides within the airport for transferring passengers and/or airport
employees?

This issue is just now starting to arise here in Vancouver where the new RAV
(Richmond-Airport-Vancouver) Line is mired in controversy again, this time
over the airport's demand for this service for employees in return for its
investment in the proposed new line.

It did not seem like a big deal to me and I am hearing local rumblings that
this is without precedent, including London but I thought that was wrong.
Any details appreciated.

Mike (an old Londoner!)

Old April 8th 04, 05:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Michael Kalman" wrote in message

I forget but, do either or both the Heathrow Express
and the Tube offer free rides within the airport for
transferring passengers and/or airport employees?

Heathrow Express is free for anyone between the two airport stations
(Heathrow Express is owned or part owned by the British Aiport Authority).

All buses are free for anyone both within the airport and along some (or
all?) of the main roads enclosing the airport - this is paid for by the
British Airport Authority.

The tube is not free for anyone.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old April 8th 04, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message ...
"Michael Kalman" wrote in message

I forget but, do either or both the Heathrow Express
and the Tube offer free rides within the airport for
transferring passengers and/or airport employees?

Heathrow Express is free for anyone between the two airport stations
(Heathrow Express is owned or part owned by the British Aiport Authority).

All buses are free for anyone both within the airport and along some (or
all?) of the main roads enclosing the airport - this is paid for by the
British Airport Authority.

The tube is not free for anyone.

JFK's AirTrain is free within the airport. (in fact I think that you
just pay when you enter the system from the two off airport
interchanges with the Metro or bus)
Also I think the same deal applies at Newark AirTrain too.
Old April 8th 04, 11:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
"Michael Kalman" wrote in message

I forget but, do either or both the Heathrow Express
and the Tube offer free rides within the airport for
transferring passengers and/or airport employees?

Heathrow Express is free for anyone between the two airport stations
(Heathrow Express is owned or part owned by the British Aiport
Authority).

If you take the free trip from T4 to T123 on HEx, you even get a "Thank
you for travelling by Heathrow Express" on arrival at T123.

The owner of HEx is BAA plc, by the way. The British Airports Authority
was privatised in 1986.
--
Richard J.

Old April 8th 04, 12:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message ...
"Michael Kalman" wrote in message

I forget but, do either or both the Heathrow Express
and the Tube offer free rides within the airport for
transferring passengers and/or airport employees?

Heathrow Express is free for anyone between the two airport stations
(Heathrow Express is owned or part owned by the British Aiport Authority).

All buses are free for anyone both within the airport and along some (or
all?) of the main roads enclosing the airport - this is paid for by the
British Airport Authority.

The tube is not free for anyone.

Are you sure? I have heard rumours that you can travel between
Heathrow Terminal 4 and Heathrow Terminals 1,2,3 (via Hatton Cross if
necessary) for free - I believe you have to show airline tickets or
other proof of travel though. Having never attempted it, I don't even
know if it's true or not.

Brad

Old April 9th 04, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

Are you sure? I have heard rumours that you can travel between
Heathrow Terminal 4 and Heathrow Terminals 1,2,3 (via Hatton Cross if
necessary) for free - I believe you have to show airline tickets or
other proof of travel though. Having never attempted it, I don't even
know if it's true or not.

I remember doing that journey a few years ago and I can remember there being
staff checking Tickets
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For Railway Information, News & Photos check out the Award Winning Railways