Old August 17th 18, 10:17 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Pointless messages on electronic platform boards

Last night I was waiting for a GN train northbound at H&I. Train turned up
but the information board was telling me about problems on gatwick express,
as if anyone going north on GN will be heading for gatwick! Then it went on
to mention problems on the tube. Fantastic. I didn't know if the Stevenage
train in front of me would be stopping at my station (it normally doesn't),
but by the time the board got around to mentioning that yes it actually
would the bloody doors had closed.

I can't imagine it would be too hard for the people who program these systems
to do so, so that if the indicated train is due then only to display stops,
not some pointless info that no one gives a rats arse about.

Old August 17th 18, 02:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I remember a great one at Morden when there was no service Kennington to Morden either way.

The scrolling display said "There is currently no service Morden to Kenn...." and then immediately switched to "No service Northwick Park to Chorleywood because of a person taken ill at Pinner".

For some reason, we never got the full message about the Northern Line.
Old August 17th 18, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17/08/2018 14:36, Offramp wrote:
I remember a great one at Morden when there was no service Kennington to Morden either way.

The scrolling display said "There is currently no service Morden to Kenn...." and then immediately switched to "No service Northwick Park to Chorleywood because of a person taken ill at Pinner".

For some reason, we never got the full message about the Northern Line.

Oh my God! They killed Kennington!

--
Basil Jet - listening... P. Morris. PJ Harvey. Palais Schaumburg. Panda
Bear. Parliament. Passengers. Paternoster. Paul Draper. Paul Haig. Paul
Old August 17th 18, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 06:36:12 -0700 (PDT), Offramp
wrote:

I remember a great one at Morden when there was no service Kennington to Morden either way.

The scrolling display said "There is currently no service Morden to Kenn...." and then immediately switched to "No service Northwick Park to Chorleywood because of a person taken ill at Pinner".

For some reason, we never got the full message about the Northern Line.

Do they still refer to 'person under train' or has the terminology
changed?
Old August 17th 18, 03:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I remember a great one at Morden when there was no service Kennington to

Morden either way.

The scrolling display said "There is currently no service Morden to Kenn...."

and then immediately switched to "No service Northwick Park to Chorleywood
because of a person taken ill at Pinner".

For some reason, we never got the full message about the Northern Line.

Do they still refer to 'person under train' or has the terminology
changed?

Isn't the euphamism "person on the track" now?

Old August 19th 18, 10:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 20:58:35 +0100, Bevan Price
wrote:

It should be made a rule that "train departure screens" should only be
permitted to display train departure information.

If they want to display info. about "disruptions", "safety", "security",
"future engineeering work", etc., they should provide separate display
screens.

Absolutely agree. If they want they can put a poster up somewhere for
what is usually patronising nonsense, the train departure screens
should be kept for train departures.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old August 20th 18, 10:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message news
Last night I was waiting for a GN train northbound at H&I. Train turned up
but the information board was telling me about problems on gatwick
express,
as if anyone going north on GN will be heading for gatwick! Then it went
on
to mention problems on the tube. Fantastic. I didn't know if the Stevenage
train in front of me would be stopping at my station (it normally
doesn't),
but by the time the board got around to mentioning that yes it actually
would the bloody doors had closed.

I can't imagine it would be too hard for the people who program these
systems
to do so, so that if the indicated train is due then only to display
stops,
not some pointless info that no one gives a rats arse about.

I think it was some time last year I turned up at Gatwick to find the
platform display telling everyone about the "next train", complete with a
slowly scrolling list of destinations that didn't allow any space for
details of any subsequent services running from that platform. This "next
train" was a) timetabled to depart about an hour previously and b) had been
cancelled. It was just as bad upstairs on the main cocncourse where the
displays were full of details of the last two hours of cancellations with
nothing telling anyone what was actually running.

I almost literally grabbed a fairly senior looking member of staff and asked
him WTF he doing allowing such a situation to persist for so long. To his
credit he scuttled away and got the offending items removed fairly quickly.

--
DAS

Old August 20th 18, 11:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 20/08/18 22:41, D A Stocks wrote:
wrote in message news
[...]

My experience of Gatwick was that the indicators were pretty useless.