Old April 17th 04, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Harrow and Wealdstone named London rail station of the year

Harrow and Wealdstone named London rail station of the year

HARROW and Wealdstone station has been named Rail Station of the Year in the
London Transport Awards.

The Silverlink-operated station beat competition from Heron Quays on the
Docklands Light Railway and Brentford station to take the title.

A £4.5 million refurbishment, started in 2001, has dramatically improved Harrow
and Wealdstone, with improvements to passenger facilities and disabled access,
without compromising its Victorian and Edwardian features, which are grade-2
listed.

Professor David Begg, chairman of the Commission for Integrated Transport and
chairman of the awards judging panel, said, "The best station category is
always a popular entry.

"What made Harrow and Wealdstone different was the strength and collaboration
between the organisations involved."

Silverlink director Julian Drury said "We are thrilled to win this award. This
success is down to the determination of the project team and their close
partnership with other national and local organisations.

"The patience and dedication of the station staff should also be praised.

"The refurbishment work took place without extended station closures and they
effectively managed the 4,500 passengers who use the station daily."

Harrow and Wealdstone is one of the busiest stations on the west coast route
out of Euston.

It serves Silverlink County trains between London and Milton Keynes; Silverlink
Metro services to Watford Junction; South Central running between Watford and
Gatwick Airport, and Bakerloo Line Tube services.

The recent improvements provided passenger-operated lifts, allowing the
disabled step-free access to the whole station.

They also included doubling the width of the footbridge by removing the central
partition; refurbishing the waiting rooms; refitting the booking hall and
offices on the Wealdstone side; redecorating the entrance on the Harrow side;
new toilets; information screens on two platforms, and new lighting.

The work was undertaken in a partnership involving Silverlink, Network Rail,
the Railway Heritage Trust, English Heritage, and Harrow Council.

J Burke
Watford Rail User Group

Old April 17th 04, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I would like to endorse the award.

One of my pleasures is sitting on the main London-bound platform at the North
end, watching the variety of trains passing - freight, passenger and
Underground: must be one of the best London stations for variety of through
traffic, and the greatly improved environment means that I no longer worry if
my train is delayed or cancelled - I can just sit back and admire the view.

Marc.
Old April 17th 04, 05:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

JWBA68 wrote:
Harrow and Wealdstone named London rail station of the year

Just a shame that the train services from there to London (Bakerloo and
Silverlink) are so poor

Old April 17th 04, 08:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Stuart" wrote in message
JWBA68 wrote:
Harrow and Wealdstone named London rail station of the year

Just a shame that the train services from there to London (Bakerloo and
Silverlink) are so poor

If you can catch the Silverlink County service the journey is quick, albeit
noisy and lumpy.
--
Cheerz,
Baz

My keyboard is haunted by the ghost of the gendarme in " Allo, allo" - blame
him for any typos

Old April 17th 04, 09:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Just a shame that the train services from there to London (Bakerloo and
Silverlink) are so poor

And Watford Junction!

Burkey

Old April 18th 04, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"JWBA68" wrote in message
Just a shame that the train services from there to London (Bakerloo and
Silverlink) are so poor

And Watford Junction!
Burkey

I just wish they'd get on with the suggested Watford
Junction/Croxley/Matropolitan Line link-up !!

Old April 20th 04, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I would like to endorse the award.

One of my pleasures is sitting on the main London-bound platform at the

North
end, watching the variety of trains passing - freight, passenger and
Underground: must be one of the best London stations for variety of through
traffic, and the greatly improved environment means that I no longer worry

if
my train is delayed or cancelled - I can just sit back and admire the view.

Marc.

Milton Keynes and Watford Junction has screens with MTV (or some kind
of music channel) playing which I think beats a clean and tidy train
station

I can't think of anything worse!

I actually like to see trains (which is why I hate the enclosed Jubilee Line
platforms): if I want to watch television, there are plenty of places I'd
rather do so than in a railway station.

It rather reminds me of the awful muzak(sp?) which used to be played in
Waterloo Station in the 1970s/80s - remember that?!

Marc.

Old April 20th 04, 11:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mait001 wrote:

It rather reminds me of the awful muzak(sp?) which used to be played in
Waterloo Station in the 1970s/80s - remember that?!

Yes. Martial music, which kept the crowds of commuters moving.

--
John Ray, London UK.
Old April 21st 04, 01:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mait001 wrote:

It rather reminds me of the awful muzak(sp?) which used to be played in
Waterloo Station in the 1970s/80s - remember that?!

Yes. Martial music, which kept the crowds of commuters moving.

--
John Ray, London UK.

John, to be honest I couldn't remember what type of music it was, and I
certainly had forgotten that this was the reason it was played!

The thought of thousands of commuters emerging from 4-SUBs and 2-EPBs etc.
marching in quick time fills me with some amusement!

Marc.