Old April 19th 04, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow to Stansted with no stairs

Continuing earlier discussion about these kinds of route:

I've just heard from someone who ended up at the anti-clockwise Circle
platform at Liverpool St with a heavy bag that they couldn't get across
to the other side (where it's then possible to access the main
concourse). They were advised to take a train to KX and do a
cross-platform change and come back to LS on the other side. I've never
heard that variant before!

Old April 19th 04, 04:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote...

I've just heard from someone who ended up at the anti-clockwise Circle
platform at Liverpool St with a heavy bag that they couldn't get across
to the other side (where it's then possible to access the main
concourse). They were advised to take a train to KX and do a
cross-platform change and come back to LS on the other side. I've never
heard that variant before!

Who advised them? A member of LUL station staff? If so, why didn't the
staff member offer to help them carry the case over the stairs?

Old April 19th 04, 05:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Solar Pennguin
writes
Who advised them? A member of LUL station staff?

Yes, but it's not clear from the report if this was before or after
getting to the other side.

If so, why didn't the
staff member offer to help them carry the case over the stairs?

In the event, a fellow passenger came to the rescue. (Apparently there
were altogether four passengers, individually not a group, in the same
predicament. LUL could end up with a full-time porter there!)
Old April 19th 04, 09:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:27:11 +0100, "Solar Pennguin"
wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote...

I've just heard from someone who ended up at the anti-clockwise Circle
platform at Liverpool St with a heavy bag that they couldn't get across
to the other side (where it's then possible to access the main
concourse). They were advised to take a train to KX and do a
cross-platform change and come back to LS on the other side. I've never
heard that variant before!

Who advised them? A member of LUL station staff? If so, why didn't the
staff member offer to help them carry the case over the stairs?

Are they allowed to? When I was in hospital I was interested to note
that nurses can no longer lift patients. They have to use this big
winch!
--

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
Please reply to the group
Old April 20th 04, 07:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Roland Perry
writes
They were advised to take a train to KX and do a cross-platform change
and come back to LS on the other side. I've never heard that variant
before!

I thought I'd suggested it at one point.

KXSP, Gloucester Road, and South Kensington are the three stations where
you can do this.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old April 20th 04, 07:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Solar Pennguin
writes
Who advised them? A member of LUL station staff? If so, why didn't the
staff member offer to help them carry the case over the stairs?

If he injured his back because of the weight of the bag, he may well not
be covered by LUL insurance. That's a common reason for staff to be told
not to do this.

Old April 20th 04, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:38:22 +0100, Cheeky wrote:
Who advised them? A member of LUL station staff? If so, why didn't the
staff member offer to help them carry the case over the stairs?

Are they allowed to? When I was in hospital I was interested to note
that nurses can no longer lift patients. They have to use this big
winch!

Exactly. In supermarkets, staff helpfully pack my bags for me.
They pack some too heavy for me to lift and then won't lift them
into the trolley for me because they aren't allowed. Doh!

I always refuse to lift in the workplace because I know I can't
lift safely (i.e. with knees bent) and one of the H&S rules is
to take responsibility for your own safety. Perhaps there is a
reason along these lines for which employees in various situations
are advised not to lift.

--
Flash Wilson - http://www.gorge.org

Comments in my journal or guestbook are welcome!
Old April 20th 04, 04:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
In article , Roland Perry
writes

They were advised to take a train to KX and do a cross-platform change
and come back to LS on the other side. I've never heard that variant
before!

I thought I'd suggested it at one point.

KXSP, Gloucester Road, and South Kensington are the three stations where
you can do this.

Isn't is also possible at Edgware Road to get off any eastbound train
and take the next westbound Wimbleware from across the platform? Or does
this only apply at some times of day?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old April 20th 04, 05:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Dave Arquati
writes
Isn't is also possible at Edgware Road to get off any eastbound train
and take the next westbound Wimbleware from across the platform? Or
does this only apply at some times of day?

I think you will be able to get *some* westbound train most of the day.
Obviously you can't do this the other way around, as you might end up
eastbound into the wrong platform.

Then there's the other way of changing platforms without stairs -
escalators up and down. Like at City Thameslink. Are there any Circle
Line stations that allow a twin-escalator [or lift] change of direction?

Westminster springs to mind.
Old April 21st 04, 06:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Dave Arquati
writes
Isn't is also possible at Edgware Road to get off any eastbound train

Normally. Very occasionally an eastbound will use platform 3 (on the
westbound island).

and take the next westbound Wimbleware from across the platform?

It might not be the *next* one - normal service is for Wimbleware trains
to reverse alternately in the two centre platforms while Circle and
Hammersmiths use the outer platforms.

The same situation applies at Aldgate (except that the buffer stops
ensure that the centre platforms aren't used by through trains). And if
you were lucky you could get an eastbound District that was reversing at
Tower Hill or Mansion House.