London Banter

-   -   Modern DC EMUs (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1646-modern-dc-emus.html)

Nick Leverton April 22nd 04 12:45 AM

Modern DC EMUs

In article ,
Roger H. Bennett wrote:
"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
k...
Absolutely. The shortest formation for a CEP unit is 2-CEP (both driving
vehicles, which have cabs, pick-up shoes and are motored), whilst the

I don't know how it affects specific units, but the other thing nobody has
mentioned is the compressor and air reservoirs. If those aren't on the
driving vehicle, it's going nowhere, even with shoes, motors and a cab.

On the "classic" SR DC units, they were generally on the motor coach.

Nick
--
http://www.leverton.org/ ... So express yourself ...

Colin Rosenstiel April 23rd 04 09:45 PM

Modern DC EMUs

In article , (Nick
Leverton) wrote:

In article ,
Roger H. Bennett wrote:
"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
k...
Absolutely. The shortest formation for a CEP unit is 2-CEP (both
driving vehicles, which have cabs, pick-up shoes and are motored),
whilst the

I don't know how it affects specific units, but the other thing nobody
has mentioned is the compressor and air reservoirs. If those aren't on
the driving vehicle, it's going nowhere, even with shoes, motors and a
cab.

On the "classic" SR DC units, they were generally on the motor coach.

That changed to use underfloor space more efficiently.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Colin Rosenstiel April 23rd 04 09:45 PM

Modern DC EMUs

In article ,
(Clive D. W. Feather) wrote:

- 365 is two driving motors separated by two non-driving trailers, one
with a pantograph. [They don't carry shoes round here.]

Nor will any much longer. The number of ex-Connex ones up here is growing
almost daily. Saw two together this morning. The appear likely to retain
their white roofs as the only distinction from the WAGN ones.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Clive D. W. Feather April 24th 04 12:19 PM

Modern DC EMUs

In article ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
Nor will any much longer. The number of ex-Connex ones up here is growing
almost daily. Saw two together this morning. The appear likely to retain
their white roofs as the only distinction from the WAGN ones.

They also have a set of longitudinal seats in them in one car, whereas
the WAGN ones are all-transverse.

At least one unit has developed a stutter: "Welcome aboard, welcome
aboard the West Anglia Great Northern service to Peterborough, to
Peterborough. Calling at Finsbury Park, Finsbury Park, Stevenage,
Stevenage, ...".

Mind, at least it doesn't say "Peederboru" in that "running out of
breath" way some of them do.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Colin Rosenstiel April 24th 04 02:56 PM

Modern DC EMUs

In article ,
(Clive D. W. Feather) wrote:

In article
, Colin
Rosenstiel
Nor will any much longer. The number of ex-Connex ones up here is
growing almost daily. Saw two together this morning. The appear likely
to retain their white roofs as the only distinction from the WAGN ones.

They also have a set of longitudinal seats in them in one car, whereas
the WAGN ones are all-transverse.

Oh? In which coach and where?

At least one unit has developed a stutter: "Welcome aboard, welcome
aboard the West Anglia Great Northern service to Peterborough, to
Peterborough. Calling at Finsbury Park, Finsbury Park, Stevenage,
Stevenage, ...".

Mind, at least it doesn't say "Peederboru" in that "running out of
breath" way some of them do.

Ah! You have the advantage over me there. I only ever travel on them on
Cambridge-King's Cross services.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Clive D. W. Feather May 3rd 04 06:10 AM

Modern DC EMUs

In article ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
[ex-Connex 365s]
They also have a set of longitudinal seats in them in one car, whereas
the WAGN ones are all-transverse.

Oh? In which coach and where?

The centre coach with the disabled toilet, at the other end.

The other centre coach has an extra luggage rack that I don't recall on
normal units. So it might have 2 less seats.

[I've finally found myself travelling on one again.]

Colin Rosenstiel May 4th 04 12:10 AM

Modern DC EMUs

In article ,
(Clive D. W. Feather) wrote:

In article
, Colin
Rosenstiel
[ex-Connex 365s]
They also have a set of longitudinal seats in them in one car,
whereas the WAGN ones are all-transverse.

Oh? In which coach and where?

The centre coach with the disabled toilet, at the other end.

The other centre coach has an extra luggage rack that I don't recall on
normal units. So it might have 2 less seats.

[I've finally found myself travelling on one again.]

Ah! I almost always travel in end coaches. I'll have a mosey round next
time I'm in a white-roofed unit.

--
Colin Rosenstiel