Old April 23rd 04, 01:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default South Western headcode 15

Does anyone have any idea when SW Headcode 15 Waterloo - Horsham was
last used (if ever)? Was there ever a service Waterloo -
Littlehampton/Bognor/Portsmouth via such a route?

James.

Old April 24th 04, 02:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Does anyone have any idea when SW Headcode 15 Waterloo - Horsham was
last used (if ever)? Was there ever a service Waterloo -
Littlehampton/Bognor/Portsmouth via such a route?

My 1968(-ish) Ian Allan BR Headcodes gives 17 (not 15) for Waterloo-Horsham,
but nothing else routed via Horsham. The Oct. 1947 SR timetable has an hourly
Waterloo-Horsham taking about 1h20m, with a 10m wait at Dorking North to
allow a limited-stop London Bridge-Horsham to pass; on Sundays they did better
with no wait at Dorking. The summer 1962 BR(S) timetable is virtually the same
as 1947.

Ah, so it actually precedes the route becoming 15. How typical that
the headcode was made distinct after the service stopped...

1939 Headcodes
15 Effingham Junction via Epsom
16 Guildford via Epsom
17 Dorking/Horsham via Epsom
18 Chessington South
19 Worcester Park/Epsom/Leatherhead
65 Littlehampton via Epsom
67 Bognor via Epsom
69 Bognor via Epsom and Littlehampton

1961 Headcodes
15 abolished on SW Main
16 Effingham Junction/Guildford via Epsom
17, 18, 19 as before
65 Littlehampton via Epsom
67 Bognor via Epsom
69 Wimbledon * - Bognor via Epsom and Littlehampton

* I suspect this was meant to read Waterloo

1981 Headcodes
15 Horsham via Epsom
16, 17, 18 as before
19 Epsom/Leatherhead
65, 67, 69 abolished

Old April 24th 04, 02:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

15 was Waterloo - Effingham Jct via Epsom.

Only until 1981.
Old April 24th 04, 02:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In the book I mentioned (1968?) there is no 15: 16 is Waterloo
to Effingham Jct or Guildford via Epsom.

15 had two uses in the period 1961-81: Soton Terminus - Salisbury via
Nursling, and Waterloo to Alton via Chertsey. The 15 prior to this
was, as the OP said, a short 16. After this, as I was refering to it,
it became a long 17.

I see that it still is, with 42 for via Cobham. In the book it gives
42 as Waterloo - Effingham Jct or Guildford via Brentford Central
- surely that must be a mistake, as I can't see how you can get
from Brentford to Effingham Jct without reversing either at
Twickenham and New Malden, or Surbiton, or Guildford.

1939:
42 Guildford via Cobham
43 Effingham Junction via Cobham

1961:
42 Effingham Junction/Guildford via Cobham (and also Reading - Bognor
via Chertsey, Worplesdon, and Havant; and Portsmouth Harbour -
Southampton Central stopping via Netley)
(43 now Portsmouth & Southsea - Southampton Central stopping via
Netley)

1981:
42 Effingham Junction/Guildford via Cobham
(43 now abolished)

42 is currently one of the more confusing headcodes. Some 42s cross
onto the Fast lines at Surbiton, others stay on the Slow. Perhaps 43
should be reused for the Fast services.
Old April 25th 04, 11:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

SWT did run to Horsham at one stage but this was cut back to Dorking. Route
Code 15 was used I think it is on the blindsets of SWT 455's

A run down of the SWT codes at present

10 - Woking to London Waterloo
13 - Weybridge/Staines to London Waterloo via Brentford
14 - Virginia Water to London Waterloo
15 - Horsham to London Waterloo via Epsom
16 - Guildford to London Waterloo via Effingham Junction and Epsom
17 - Dorking to London Waterloo
18 - Chessington South to London Waterloo
19 - Epsom to London Waterloo
21 - Waterloo loop clockwise via Kingston
23 - Guildford to London Bridge via West Croydon (SC use as well)
24 - Shepperton to London Waterloo
25 - Aldershot/Farnham to Guildford
27 - Aldershot to London Waterloo via Richmond and Ascot
28 - Ascot to Guildford (also London Waterloo to Guildford via Ascot)
29 - As above but the opposite direction
30 - Hampton Court to London Waterloo or Earlsfield to London Waterloo
31 - London Waterloo to Brighton via Basingstoke, also
Reading/Basingstoke-Brighton formations
32 - London Waterloo anticlockwise loop via Kingston, also rush hour
Teddington to London Waterloo via Wimbledon
37 - Reading to London Waterloo via Brentford
38 - Reading to London Waterloo via Richmond
42 - Guildford to London Waterloo via Cobham
45 - Romsey to Totton services
47 - Shepperton to London Waterloo services via Richmond
51 - Alton to London Waterloo fasts
52 - Farnham/Alton to London Waterloo semi fast stopping at Clapham
53 - Alton/Farnham to London Waterloo stoppers
57 - Windsor and Eton Riverside to London Waterloo via Brentford
58 - Windsor and Eton Riverside to London Waterloo via Richmond
61 - London Waterloo to West of England fasts usually first stop Basingstoke
and go on West of Exeter though the 1631 London Waterloo to Basingstoke is a
4VEP and runs with 61 head codes
62 - London Waterloo to Exeter St Davids
63 - London Waterloo to Salisbury/Yeovil Junction (was London Waterloo to
Basingstoke)
64 - London Waterloo to Basingstoke
68 - Kingston to London Waterloo via Twickenham
70/71 - Not used no more used to be Portsmouth to London. 70 was rush hour
Pompey to London via Eastleigh but refer to revised changed. 71 I recall
was a fast from Southsea to London
72 - Portsmouth and Southsea to London Waterloo
73 - Portsmouth and Southsea to London Waterloo also Haslemere stoppers
74 - Portsmouth and Southsea to London Waterloo via Eastleigh
75 - Guildford to London Waterloo via Woking
80/81 - Portsmouth Harbour to London Waterloo fasts
82/83 - Portsmouth Harbour to London Waterloo stoppers
84 - Portsmouth Harbour to London Waterloo via Eastleigh was swapped over
with 80
85 - Southampton - Portsmouth runs
87 - London Waterloo anticlockwise via Hounslow
89 - London Waterloo clockwise via Hounslow
91 - Weymouth to London Waterloo fasts
92 - Wareham/Southampton to London Waterloo semi fasts
93 - Weymouth to London Waterloo stoppers also short distance
Weymouth-Wareham-Southampton formations
94 - Southampton Central to London Waterloo stoppers
97 - Lymington Shuttle (Lucy)
98 - Woking to Staines shuttle

"James" wrote in message
om...
[...]