Old April 25th 04, 09:30 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default Station names

"Aidan Stanger" wrote in message
Brian Watson wrote:

and Huguenots yet, I think.

WTF are Huguenots?

(sigh, so much for the Information Revolution)

French Protestants driven out in the late 17th century.
http://www.theotherside.co.uk/tm-her...protestant.htm

Old April 25th 04, 09:34 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"James" wrote in message
om...
Apart from anything else, Elephant and Castle is just so much more fun

as a
name. And it is geographically accurate - that's the name of the

junction.
As good as Oxford Circus.

There's one name that really ought to go, however:

Tottenham Court Road.

The problem is that both Goodge St and Warren St also are on Tottenham
Court Road. TCR station is all the way at one end, so it's not even
the station you'd use if you had no idea where a house number was on
TCR - you'd be far better off starting at Goodge St. I suggest that it
becomes:

St Giles' Circus.

Or if that's a little obscure, leave people in no doubt with:

Soho Square.

(I mean there is precedent - Leicester Sq station exits onto the
Charing X Rd.)

A better name would be Centre Point perhaps?

Old April 25th 04, 09:38 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Brian Watson" wrote the following in:

I believe the north London station has already (on at least one
sign) been renamed Golda's Green by the skilful application of a
bit of spray paint?

Hackney Wick has been renamed "Hackneys Wicked". No apostrophe in
"Hackneys" though. Honestly, what do they teach kids these days.

--
message by Robin May, enforcer of sod's law.
"Dust Hill guy likes the Gordon clock"

"You MUST NOT drive dangerously" - the Highway Code
Spelling lesson: then and than are different words.
Old April 25th 04, 10:02 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Reg Nullify" wrote in message

"James" wrote in message
om...

There's one name that really ought to go, however:

Tottenham Court Road.

The problem is that both Goodge St and Warren St also are on Tottenham
Court Road. TCR station is all the way at one end, so it's not even
the station you'd use if you had no idea where a house number was on
TCR - you'd be far better off starting at Goodge St.

A better name would be Centre Point perhaps?

Genius!

--
Brian
"When all about you is crumbling, when the arse is falling out of your

Old April 25th 04, 10:38 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Brian Watson wrote:
"Aidan Stanger" wrote in message

Brian Watson wrote:

I expect someone will dive in and claim this is all very non-pc, but I

quite

like the idea of recognising London's multinational population in its
station names.

Nothing been suggested to acknowledge the Australians

Does anyone not already know where to find Australians in London?

South Kensington would seem to be a suitable candidate for such renaming.

Surely Earl's Court...? South Kensington should be Kensington-du-Sud.
Gloucester Road should be Glow-sester Road (with an American accent).

and Huguenots yet, I think.

WTF are Huguenots?

A persecuted minority in France during most of the period from the early
1500s until 1789, the French Protestants were given the name Huguenots in
the time of the Reformation.

Although they were forbidden to leave France, hundreds of thousands fled.
They carried French arts, manufactures, and culture to England, Germany, the
Netherlands, and the British colonies of North America.

HTH.

--
Brian
"Happy St George's Day. It either is, just was, or soon will be."

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old April 25th 04, 11:28 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Brian Watson wrote:
Ok, if we're getting all ethnic..

I believe the north London station has already (on at least one sign) been
renamed Golda's Green by the skilful application of a bit of spray paint?

I expect someone will dive in and claim this is all very non-pc, but I quite
like the idea of recognising London's multinational population in its
station names.

Only problem is that the ethnic groupings around London change over
time. We'd end up changing the names every 30 or so years.

Nothing been suggested to acknowledge the Australians and Huguenots yet, I
think.

Australians have Shepherds Bush!

Old April 25th 04, 12:08 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"kedron" wrote in message

On 25-Apr-2004, Yanart Amin Ari wrote in gUDic.178$ME2.54@newsfe1-win:

enge West ---------- Windsor and Eaton Riverside

Anerley --------- Penge North

Crystal Palace ------- Eiffel

Beckenham Hill ---------- Bellingham sur la Mearde

Edgware Road ---------- Westy Arabia

Yep -- putting Paddington Green cop shop on Edgware Roadistan
was a very happy coincidence.

Anyone ever had a pint in the Green Man and lived?

kedron

Naaahr but I had a few brawls and got shot at in the Dudley arms

Old April 25th 04, 12:11 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Stuart" wrote in message
Brian Watson wrote:
Ok, if we're getting all ethnic..

I believe the north London station has already (on at least one sign)

been
renamed Golda's Green by the skilful application of a bit of spray

paint?

I expect someone will dive in and claim this is all very non-pc, but I

quite
like the idea of recognising London's multinational population in its
station names.

Only problem is that the ethnic groupings around London change over
time. We'd end up changing the names every 30 or so years.

Nothing been suggested to acknowledge the Australians and Huguenots yet,

think.

Australians have Shepherds Bush!

Yep, they changed that one to Ozzie Bush

Izerntit

Old April 25th 04, 12:35 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 12:28:50 +0100, Stuart
wrote:

Brian Watson wrote:
Ok, if we're getting all ethnic..

I believe the north London station has already (on at least one sign) been
renamed Golda's Green by the skilful application of a bit of spray paint?

I expect someone will dive in and claim this is all very non-pc, but I quite
like the idea of recognising London's multinational population in its
station names.

Only problem is that the ethnic groupings around London change over
time. We'd end up changing the names every 30 or so years.

Nothing been suggested to acknowledge the Australians and Huguenots yet, I
think.

Australians have Shepherds Bush!

That's be Jackeroo's Outback, then?

--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk
Old April 25th 04, 12:35 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:59:09 +0100, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

"Aidan Stanger" wrote in message
.. .
Brian Watson wrote:

I expect someone will dive in and claim this is all very non-pc, but I

quite
like the idea of recognising London's multinational population in its
station names.

Nothing been suggested to acknowledge the Australians

Does anyone not already know where to find Australians in London?

South Kensington would seem to be a suitable candidate for such renaming.

New South Kensington?