Old April 26th 04, 10:14 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default Station names

In message , Brian Watson
writes
Nothing been suggested to acknowledge the Australians and Huguenots yet, I
think.

Doe Theydon Bois sound sufficiently Huguenot?
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for

Old April 26th 04, 10:16 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

In message , Brian Watson
writes

Nothing been suggested to acknowledge the Australians and Huguenots yet, I
think.

Came to think of it, though, Shoreditch was really Huguenot Central (or
North) wasn't it?
Old April 26th 04, 10:16 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

In message , Nick Cooper
writes
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:59:09 +0100, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

"Aidan Stanger" wrote in message
. ..
Brian Watson wrote:

I expect someone will dive in and claim this is all very non-pc, but I

quite
like the idea of recognising London's multinational population in its
station names.

Nothing been suggested to acknowledge the Australians

Does anyone not already know where to find Australians in London?

South Kensington would seem to be a suitable candidate for such renaming.

New South Kensington?

We already have "Victoria", though!
Old April 26th 04, 01:43 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Phil Richards wrote:

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:43:48 +0100 E. Zackatackali
said...

Elephant and Castle ---- Walworth North

AFAIK Elephant & Castle is/was the name of a pub in the area and it so
happens that other tube stations suit - Angel (Islington), Swiss Cottage
are two other examples.

not just tube stations - the Green Man roundabout, the Pawleyne Arms as a
bus destination, etc. but not Hackney Central - the bar was built *after*
the station.

what about Seven Sisters? i know that's a road, a roundabout and a
station, but where does the name come from (the Pleiades, i guess, but
how?).

tom

--
If you had a chance to do any experiment you pleased, unconstrained by any considerations of humanity or decency, what would you choose?

Old April 26th 04, 01:45 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On 25 Apr 2004, Robin May wrote:

"Brian Watson" wrote the following in:

I believe the north London station has already (on at least one
sign) been renamed Golda's Green by the skilful application of a
bit of spray paint?

Hackney Wick has been renamed "Hackneys Wicked". No apostrophe in
"Hackneys" though. Honestly, what do they teach kids these days.

how do you know it's not an archaically-formed plural noun phrase? there
may be Hackneys wicked, Hackneys good and Hackneys indifferent, but
they're all Hackneys of one sort or another.

tom

Old April 26th 04, 02:30 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

In article t, Dave Newt wrote:

John Rowland wrote:

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
news
the bilingual signs at Southall (English and some kind of
Arabic-looking script) were a nice touch

I don't think it's Arabic: I think it's Urdu.

It looks nothing like Arabic or Urdu; it's (like the street signs in
Brick Lane) Bengali.

My Sikh coworker insisted it was Punjabi when I showed him a photo of
the Southall station sign last year. (Of course, they may have changed
it since I stopped commuting past there, in mid-2003...)

Niklas
--
"Our code of laws is based on beer commercials."
-- Squiffy, Pandimaniacs
Old April 26th 04, 02:31 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Dave Newt" firebird.remove.net.this.remove.me.20.den@spamgou rmet.com
wrote in message t.net...

John Rowland wrote:

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
news
the bilingual signs at Southall (English and some kind of
Arabic-looking script) were a nice touch

I don't think it's Arabic: I think it's Urdu.

It looks nothing like Arabic or Urdu; it's (like the street signs in
Brick Lane) Bengali.

Did you forget Alperton ?

And it's Kashmiri not Bengali you thickies

Old April 26th 04, 02:38 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Phil Richards wrote:

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:43:48 +0100 E. Zackatackali
said...

Elephant and Castle ---- Walworth North

AFAIK Elephant & Castle is/was the name of a pub in the area

WRONG !

The region got it's name from the Palace (formerly on the spot where the
roundabout with the tardis on it is) of the Princess of Castille "Infanta de
Castille"

Yer average Walworth geezer (Charlie Chaplain's GGGGGG Grandad et al)
couldn't pronounce "Infanta de Castille" and it so became "Elephant &
Castle"

not just tube stations - the Green Man roundabout, the Pawleyne Arms as a
bus destination, etc.

Pawleyne Arms ! biggup da Penge posse !

Mwahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaar !

Izerntit !

Old April 26th 04, 03:22 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message , Brian Watson
writes
Nothing been suggested to acknowledge the Australians and Huguenots yet,

think.

Doe Theydon Bois sound sufficiently Huguenot?

:-))

--
Brian
"Chuff! Chuff! Poot! Poot! A model railway exhibition can do that to a

Old April 26th 04, 04:44 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Seanie O'Kilfoyle wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Phil Richards wrote:

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:43:48 +0100 E. Zackatackali
said...

Elephant and Castle ---- Walworth North

AFAIK Elephant & Castle is/was the name of a pub in the area

WRONG !

The region got it's name from the Palace (formerly on the spot where the
roundabout with the tardis on it is) of the Princess of Castille "Infanta de
Castille"

WRONG! see:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ele1.htm

the name does come from a pub, called the Elephant and Castle, which used
to be a smithy of the same name, which in turn was so called because it
was connected the Worshipful Company of Cutlers, whose arms feature a
crest consisting of an elephant with a howdah (portable castle, innit):

http://www.heraldicmedia.com/site/in.../comp018a.html

tom

--
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. -- Hunter S. Thompson.