Old April 26th 04, 07:57 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default Station names

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Annabel Smyth wrote:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 at 14:43:28, Tom Anderson
wrote:

what about Seven Sisters? i know that's a road, a roundabout and a
station, but where does the name come from (the Pleiades, i guess, but
how?).

No, I think it was after a line of seven trees (The Seven Sisters) that
once upon a time lined the street. Maybe they were identical, or
something, I don't know.

Well i never.

(Rather like the seven oaks in Sevenoaks, six of which were felled by
the Great Storm of 1987).

How many London placenames (and, moreover, station names) are based on
trees? Seven Sisters, Sevenoaks, Royal Oak, Burnt Oak, Poplar ...
Shepherd's Bush? If you also look for woods and forests, there are loads -
Wealdstone, Theydon Bois, various -woods. Add in the various Greens and
you'd barely think there was as city there at all.

tom

--
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Old April 26th 04, 07:59 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Brimstone wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
On 25 Apr 2004, Robin May wrote:

"Brian Watson" wrote the following in:

I believe the north London station has already (on at least one
sign) been renamed Golda's Green by the skilful application of a
bit of spray paint?

Hackney Wick has been renamed "Hackneys Wicked". No apostrophe in
"Hackneys" though. Honestly, what do they teach kids these days.

how do you know it's not an archaically-formed plural noun phrase? there
may be Hackneys wicked, Hackneys good and Hackneys indifferent, but
they're all Hackneys of one sort or another.

Isn't this sub-thread becoming rather hackneyed?

oh, that's poor - you're really starting to get on my wick now.

tom

--
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Old April 26th 04, 08:43 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message

How many London placenames (and, moreover, station names) are based on
trees? Seven Sisters, Sevenoaks, Royal Oak, Burnt Oak, Poplar ...

I thought Poplar was called Poplar 'cos lots of people like it.

IGMC.

--
Brian
"Chuff! Chuff! Poot! Poot! A model railway exhibition can do that to a

Old April 26th 04, 09:07 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 at 19:57:50, Tom Anderson
wrote:

If you also look for woods and forests, there are loads -
Wealdstone, Theydon Bois, various -woods. Add in the various Greens and
you'd barely think there was as city there at all.

I bought, some years ago now, an aerial atlas of London. It's quite
extraordinary how very green, when seen from above, the city actually
*is* - loads and loads of trees, and green spaces galore.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004
Old April 26th 04, 09:53 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Dave Newt" firebird.remove.net.this.remove.me.20.den@spamgou rmet.com
wrote in message t.net...

Been a while since I went to Southall. I can tell the difference; I had
just forgotten.

(Of course, Panjabi script is not officially recognised even in Pakistan.)

Spoken very Pashtunately

Well done !

Izerntit

Old April 26th 04, 09:55 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message

WRONG!

You have. The "Infanta of Castille" is the urban myth.....
--
Annabel Smyth

If your name wasn't a cunning anagram of "Urban Myth" I might be in trouble
here

Izerntit

Old April 26th 04, 09:57 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message , Annabel Smyth
writes
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 at 18:25:40, Seanie O'Kilfoyle
wrote:

WRONG !

You've been "Urban Mythed"

Izerntit

WRONG!

You have. The "Infanta of Castille" is the urban myth.....

Thank you Jelfy !

I have hard historical facts to prove my case

NER !

Izerntit

Old April 26th 04, 09:58 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Annabel Smyth wrote:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 at 18:25:40, Seanie O'Kilfoyle
wrote:

WRONG !

You've been "Urban Mythed"

WRONG!

You have. The "Infanta of Castille" is the urban myth.....

indeed - Myth Maria Cathtile wath rethident in our fair thity for several
years before returning to Thpain.

Itherntit.

tom

Thpoken like a thplendid thcolar Tomath

Thankth

Old April 26th 04, 10:16 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message

Except that for once there *might* be a grain of
truth in the Infanta story.....

We were told last year at a local history lecture in
Southwark that the land south from the Thames
to well beyond and including the present day
the E&C *was* given to Catherine of Aragon
when she first came to England (landing near
the site of the present day "Globe", incidentally.

So, although it's *probably* an urban myth,
there is a slim chance, after debunking it all
these years, that it might have been true all along.

Slim indeed. Aragon and Castille are separate places.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped