Old April 23rd 04, 11:43 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default Station names

I wish London Underground stations had names that properly
described the area that they were located in, instead of
using obscure street names or some other undescriptive name.
For example, if I had to rename the stations on the
Bakerloo line, I'd have this instead (with a little
help from my A-Z):

Elephant and Castle ---- Walworth North
Lambeth North ---------- OK
Waterloo --------------- OK
Embankment ------------- OK (on the grounds that
I can't think of anything else)
Charing Cross ---------- Trafalgar Square
Piccadilly ------------- OK (tempted to call this Soho
South, but you don't mess with the sacred)
Oxford Circus ---------- OK (tempted to call this Soho
West, but see above)
Regent's Park ---------- Marylebone East
Baker Street ----------- OK
Marylebone ------------- OK
Edgware Road ----------- Paddington East
Paddington ------------- OK
Warwick Avenue --------- Paddington North
Maida Vale ------------- OK
Kilburn Park ----------- Kilburn Central
Queen's Park ----------- West Kilburn
Kensal Green ----------- OK
Willesden Junction ----- Harlesden South
Harlesden -------------- Harlesden West
Stonebridge Park ------- OK (no idea what else to call it)
Wembley Central -------- OK
North Wembley ---------- OK
South Kenton ----------- OK
Kenton ----------------- OK
Harrow and Wealdstone -- Wealdstone

As it happens, it seems as if the tube names are more
readily recognised than the area, which is why if you
tell someone you live in Walworth, they have no idea
where you are talking about until you say you live
in the Elephant and Castle.

EZ

Old April 24th 04, 12:28 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

E. Zackatackali wrote:
I wish London Underground stations had names that properly
described the area that they were located in, instead of
using obscure street names or some other undescriptive name.
For example, if I had to rename the stations on the
Bakerloo line, I'd have this instead (with a little
help from my A-Z):

Elephant and Castle ---- Walworth North
Lambeth North ---------- OK

snip

As it happens, it seems as if the tube names are more
readily recognised than the area, which is why if you
tell someone you live in Walworth, they have no idea
where you are talking about until you say you live
in the Elephant and Castle.

So why do you want to confuse everyone by changing the names?
--
Richard J.
Old April 24th 04, 01:02 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"E. Zackatackali" wrote in message

Kilburn Park ----------- Kilburn Central

Except that Kilburn Park station is not in the centre of Kilburn, but
Kilburn High Road station is.

Stonebridge Park ------- OK (no idea what else to call it)

Tokyngton. Stonebridge Park is an insignificant road, closer to Harlesden
Station.

North Wembley ---------- OK
South Kenton ----------- OK

Except that South Kenton station is actually in North Wembley. Perhaps it
could be called Preston West... or Preston Western has more of a ring to it.

Harrow and Wealdstone -- Wealdstone

I agree totally on this one. I think the name may have something to do with
the old boundary between Harrow and Wealdstone boroughs, but I only have a
borough map of the area going back to the 1950s, and Wealdstone borough had
already been absorbed by then.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old April 24th 04, 01:56 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"E. Zackatackali" wrote in message
I wish London Underground stations had names that properly
described the area that they were located in, instead of
using obscure street names or some other undescriptive name.
For example, if I had to rename the stations on the
Bakerloo line, I'd have this instead (with a little
help from my A-Z):

Elephant and Castle ---- Walworth North

[snip]

As it happens, it seems as if the tube names are more
readily recognised than the area, which is why if you
tell someone you live in Walworth, they have no idea
where you are talking about until you say you live
in the Elephant and Castle.

EZ

Surely that's exactly why the name should stay as it is?

Apart from anything else, Elephant and Castle is just so much more fun as a
name. And it is geographically accurate - that's the name of the junction.
As good as Oxford Circus.

Jonn

Old April 24th 04, 02:05 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On 24-Apr-2004, John Rowland wrote in
:

Kilburn Park ----------- Kilburn Central

Except that Kilburn Park station is not in the centre of Kilburn, but
Kilburn High Road station is.

Stonebridge Park ------- OK (no idea what else to call it)

Tokyngton. Stonebridge Park is an insignificant road, closer to Harlesden
Station.

How about calling all the stations north of Maida Vale: "**** hole", apart
from Stonebridge Park, of course, which would be "**** hole Central".

Mind you, Stonebridge Park boasts the famous "Ace Cafe" where,
bizarrely, criminals, Hells Angels and police constables eat breakfast
together most mornings in perfect harmony.

Bless em.

As for Harrow and Wealdstone, that should be called "Scotland".

kedron

Old April 24th 04, 05:05 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"E. Zackatackali" wrote

Harrow and Wealdstone -- Wealdstone

As it happens, it seems as if the tube names are more
readily recognised than the area, which is why if you
tell someone you live in Walworth, they have no idea
where you are talking about until you say you live
in the Elephant and Castle.

So what would you rename Wealdstone British Rail?

Old April 24th 04, 09:14 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Andrew Brian Hickman" wrote in message
"E. Zackatackali" wrote

So what would you rename Wealdstone British Rail?

Bogbrush.

Ian

Old April 24th 04, 10:15 AM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Andrew Brian Hickman wrote:

So what would you rename Wealdstone British Rail?

(Pssst, don't tell anyone I told you, but it's the same station!!)

Old April 24th 04, 12:55 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Andrew Brian Hickman" asked...

So what would you rename Wealdstone British Rail?

Fred. Or maybe Doris. It all depends what mood I'm in.

Old April 24th 04, 06:43 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Richard J." a écrit dans le message de news:
E. Zackatackali wrote:
I wish London Underground stations had names that properly
described the area that they were located in, instead of
using obscure street names or some other undescriptive name.

So why do you want to confuse everyone by changing the names?

To flummox al-Qaeda, any fule no that.