Old April 24th 04, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Deafening busker at Picadilly Circus

Got on the picadilly line today and there was a busker with an
electric guitar and a massive amplifier. I didn't have my
decibelometer, but I'm sure that it was louder then 82dBa - so Health
and Safety should have come in and I should have been offered ear
protection. What is LUL's official policy on this, and will he be
banned and have his equipment taken off him?

Old April 24th 04, 09:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Weaver wrote:
Got on the picadilly line today and there was a busker with an
electric guitar and a massive amplifier. I didn't have my
decibelometer, but I'm sure that it was louder then 82dBa - so
Health and Safety should have come in and I should have been
offered ear protection. What is LUL's official policy on this, and
will he be banned and have his equipment taken off him?

You don't say whether he was on the train or the platform or elsewhere
on the station. AFAIK buskers are only allowed to play on the official
Carling-sponsored pitches and only if they have been licensed to do so
after an audition. Buskers on platforms or trains are banned, partly
because they would prevent announcements being heard.

Buskers on trains are in fact much more common on the Paris Métro, where
they seem to appear on about 1 journey in 3, if my last visit in April
was typical.
--
Richard J.

Old April 24th 04, 09:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
om...
Got on the picadilly line today and there was a busker with an
electric guitar and a massive amplifier. I didn't have my
decibelometer, but I'm sure that it was louder then 82dBa - so Health
and Safety should have come in and I should have been offered ear
protection. What is LUL's official policy on this, and will he be
banned and have his equipment taken off him?

Was he standing in an authorised pitch?

Old April 25th 04, 07:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
om...
Got on the picadilly line today and there was a busker with an
electric guitar and a massive amplifier. I didn't have my
decibelometer, but I'm sure that it was louder then 82dBa - so Health
and Safety should have come in and I should have been offered ear
protection. What is LUL's official policy on this, and will he be
banned and have his equipment taken off him?

No, he will be invited to join The Darkness or Motorhead.

--
Brian
"Happy St George's Day. It either is, just was, or soon will be."

Old April 25th 04, 01:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin Mayes" wrote in message ...
"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
om...
Got on the picadilly line today and there was a busker with an
electric guitar and a massive amplifier. I didn't have my
decibelometer, but I'm sure that it was louder then 82dBa - so Health
and Safety should have come in and I should have been offered ear
protection. What is LUL's official policy on this, and will he be
banned and have his equipment taken off him?

Was he standing in an authorised pitch?

Yes, he was in the carling thing, but he was so loud that my ears were
still ringing at hyde park corner.

Old April 25th 04, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
om...
"Robin Mayes" wrote in message

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
om...
Got on the picadilly line today and there was a busker with an
electric guitar and a massive amplifier. I didn't have my
decibelometer, but I'm sure that it was louder then 82dBa - so Health
and Safety should have come in and I should have been offered ear
protection. What is LUL's official policy on this, and will he be
banned and have his equipment taken off him?

Was he standing in an authorised pitch?

Yes, he was in the carling thing, but he was so loud that my ears were
still ringing at hyde park corner.

I gather from this that London Transport (or whatever they are called today)
have finally capitulated and got rid of the outright ban on buskers, and
allowed a limited number of licensed buskers to perform. When did this
happen?

Why is it necessary for Carling (or anyone) to sponsor the pitches: what did
Carling give in exchange for the publicity? I've never seen one of the
authorised pitches, but did they cost more to create than the cost of a bit
of paint on the floor to denote the outline of the pitch?

Old April 25th 04, 01:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 at 12:12:42, Martin Underwood
wrote:

I gather from this that London Transport (or whatever they are called today)
have finally capitulated and got rid of the outright ban on buskers, and
allowed a limited number of licensed buskers to perform. When did this
happen?

Within the last year, I think.

Why is it necessary for Carling (or anyone) to sponsor the pitches: what did
Carling give in exchange for the publicity? I've never seen one of the
authorised pitches, but did they cost more to create than the cost of a bit
of paint on the floor to denote the outline of the pitch?

Not a great deal more - there is a poster on the wall, and a
semi-circular painted bit of floor next to it. There's a pitch at
London Bridge that I often walk past, but haven't yet seen anybody
performing there, but there was quite a good one at Bank the other day.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004
Old April 25th 04, 04:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
om...
"Robin Mayes" wrote in message

"Paul Weaver" wrote in message
om...
Got on the picadilly line today and there was a busker with an
electric guitar and a massive amplifier. I didn't have my
decibelometer, but I'm sure that it was louder then 82dBa - so Health
and Safety should have come in and I should have been offered ear
protection. What is LUL's official policy on this, and will he be
banned and have his equipment taken off him?

Was he standing in an authorised pitch?

Yes, he was in the carling thing, but he was so loud that my ears were
still ringing at hyde park corner.

Would you please let LUL customer services know, using either phone or
email, with as many details as you can remember, including the description
of the person. It may be that he isn't an authorised busker who just set up
in an authorised pitch, hoping to avoid detection and removal.

Old April 25th 04, 04:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

They employ people to manage the pitches.

Old April 25th 04, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Not a great deal more - there is a poster on the wall, and a
semi-circular painted bit of floor next to it. There's a pitch at
London Bridge that I often walk past, but haven't yet seen anybody
performing there, but there was quite a good one at Bank the other day.

Certain pitches have been designated as being allowed to be used off-peak
only. Perhaps this one is one of them.