Old December 10th 18, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Fulham Broadway station query

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 10:20:33 +0000, David Cantrell
wrote:

On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 02:22:43PM +0000, Recliner wrote:

the old booking office windows, which now serve rather expensive
drinks (expect to pay over ?6 a pint, around three times the price in
the Wetherspoons in the new shopping centre).

For different beers, of course. It is of course outrageous that
different products have different prices.

Even in Wetherspoons, not all beers are the same price.

But the most expensive real ale in the current Fulham Broadway station
Wetherspoons is around half the price of the cheapest beer in the bar
in the old Fulham Broadway station next door. I didn't check if
there's any overlap in the beers they sell.

Old December 11th 18, 07:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Friday, 7 December 2018 14:22:48 UTC, Recliner wrote:
This week, I used Fulham Broadway station for the first time in a
while, and I was reminded that the exits for the platforms are halfway
along, forcing you to walk through the new shopping centre they've
built next door.

In the original station, the building was on the other side of the
train shed. The listed building is still there, and now acts as an
eating/drinking court. Quite a few original features remain, such as
the old booking office windows, which now serve rather expensive
drinks (expect to pay over £6 a pint, around three times the price in
the Wetherspoons in the new shopping centre).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72157676441818868

But I've not worked out where the original platform exits were. Were
they, as I assume, nearer the road, so it was a shorter walk to exit
the station, with no requirement to walk past a load of shops?

The platform exits were reached via the staircase at the western end of the station. This lead you into the old ticket hall and you would arrive at the street through what is now the food outlet you referred to.
Old December 11th 18, 07:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

upinthesky wrote:
[...]

Yes, I did wonder if what is now just a footbridge was previously connected
to the old station, but couldn't see any sealed-off doorway.

There's also an old street exit still visible, which looks like it's still
in part-time use (maybe on match days?). That looks like it bypassed the
old booking hall:

https://goo.gl/images/NnqnyZ

Old December 11th 18, 11:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

[...]

The old entrances and exits are no longer used, even on match days.
On match days the doors at the East end of the station are opened. This takes the football crowd via the shopping centre car park into the Fulham road..
Old December 11th 18, 11:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.food+drink.real-ale

On 09/12/2018 18:26, Basil Jet wrote:
On 09/12/2018 16:53, Recliner wrote:
Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 07/12/2018 17:10, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 15:51:48 on
Fri, 7 Dec 2018, Recliner remarked:

expect to pay over £6 a pint, around three times the price in
the Wetherspoons in the new shopping centre

There's a Wetherspoons selling beer at £2/pint? Postcode please!

Their beers start at just under £2, and I think all were under £3.

When and where?

My local Spoons in suburban south London often has at least some
sub-GBP3 pints - I've seen a beer at near enough half the price the
nearby "nice" pub was charging for it - and I saw a sub-GBP2 one
recently (probably in Croydon or South Norwood).

I had a look at the new St Pancras one the other day. GBP4...

Yes, their prices are very location-dependent, but usually much lower
than
the local competition.

Why? Are they awful?

Variable. My definition of a crap place is that the only entry in the
GBG is a Spoons.

That one with staff wearing bodycams and drug dealers in the bogs is
very different to the one in a converted opera house.

For all their faults, they do have a minimum standard, and they do
reliably serve something resembling hot food without all the "FOOD
SERVED ALL DAY!!! [but not after 1pm or at weekends]" hassle of "proper"
pubs.

(all real ales at The George in Croydon are currently under GBP3)
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old December 12th 18, 08:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.food+drink.real-ale

Arthur Figgis wrote:
[...]

South Wales prices are typically £2.15pp. Port Talbot maybe £1.89 still.

Airport/NEC 'spoon prices are always higher.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Old December 14th 18, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

news
Arthur Figgis wrote:
[...]

Their USP is cheap beer and food.

and the cheapness often shows up in the food

you have to know the menu to avoid the crap offerings

tim