Old December 15th 18, 02:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default cashless tolling, Sadiq's looming poll tax moment

"Arthur Conan Doyle" wrote in message
"tim..." wrote:

and how do users of rental cars pay these tolls?

Toll company bills rental car company, rental car company charges card
used for
rental. At least in my experience. The layers of administrative surcharges
make
that an expensive option.

precisely!

the rental company charge you 30 dollars for a 3 dollar toll, that you would
have happily paid some other way if you could.

it really shouldn't be like that (As in, the problems likely to be
encountered by the uses of rental cars should have a solution engineered in
to the system)

tim

Old December 15th 18, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Sadiq's looming poll tax moment

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 10:50:11 on Sat, 15 Dec 2018,
tim... remarked:

the phone and postal services for the Dart Charge seem quaint and
indulgent compared with the toll roads in eg Sydney where it's
electronic or else - including for visitors in hire cars.

The postal service is only for pre-pay, and needs 10days notice. I'd
characterise it more as applying for a season ticket by post (even if
it's only a one-trip season being paid for).

I wonder if it's mainly for institutional vehicles, where arrangements
for reimbursing drivers small amounts of money are either non-existent
or very clumsy, and they don't want to have a system for drivers to
report each trip as it happens, and the finance department pay the
charge from central funds rapidly enough.

surely if the institutional vehicle belongs to the institution, they can
set up an online account that does all this

Many institutions are leery of online accounts, many of which appear to
them to be akin to blank cheques. I'd be surprised if a school (even one
in Essex or Kent) was happy to set up an online account for even the
Head's car, should he have some official business the other side of the
river. How would that account not end up also paying for his leisure
trips, for example? The postal payment, however, could be ringfenced for
just one trip.

you haven't thought that through, have you

If the head is already making significant leisure journeys through the
tunnel, he is going to want to set up his own account for these journey

so the journey that he does make for the institution is going to go through
that account anyway

telling the head that he may not set up an automated account to pay his
weekly tunnel toll, because once a year he makes a journey for institutional
purposes isn't going go down too well

BTW the automatic online accounts are pre-pay. There is no connection to
the post pay option

(and FWIW you can have an account containing more than one reg)

tim

Old December 15th 18, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin" wrote in message

Presumably rental companies have a way to provide this

Well I suppose they'll provide the website if you don't know it already.
It's the one I gave you a link for where it states "you can set up an
electronic pass before you leave home or up to three days after you travel
on a toll road".

I assume that rental companies supply cars with the tags in place

surely most users are going to want this?

It's not like I'm going to roll up in my UK registered car, is it?

How do I know? I've seen UK registered cars in use in Aus.

but not short term visitors, I bet

Old December 15th 18, 03:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim..." wrote:

and how do users of rental cars pay these tolls?

Toll company bills rental car company, rental car company charges card
used for
rental. At least in my experience. The layers of administrative
surcharges make
that an expensive option.

precisely!

the rental company charge you 30 dollars for a 3 dollar toll, that you
would have happily paid some other way if you could.

it really shouldn't be like that (As in, the problems likely to be
encountered by the uses of rental cars should have a solution engineered
in to the system)

Just another form of tourist tax.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old December 15th 18, 04:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"tim..." wrote:

and how do users of rental cars pay these tolls?

Toll company bills rental car company, rental car company charges
card used for
rental. At least in my experience. The layers of administrative
surcharges make
that an expensive option.

precisely!

precisely wrong: if you heed the warnings and register in advance or
within 3 days and pay the tolls there's no surcharge etc whatsoever.

the rental company charge you 30 dollars for a 3 dollar toll, that you
would have happily paid some other way if you could.

it really shouldn't be like that (As in, the problems likely to be
encountered by the uses of rental cars should have a solution
engineered in to the system)

Just another form of tourist tax.

no - though it might be said to be a tax on the stupid

--
Robin

Old December 15th 18, 04:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15/12/2018 14:58, tim... wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message

Presumably rental companies have a way to provide this

Well I suppose they'll provide the website if you don't know it
already. It's the one I gave you a link for where it states "you can
set up an electronic pass before you leave home or up to three days
after you travel on a toll road".

I assume that rental companies supply cars with the tags in place

surely most users are going to want this?

I assume you either did not read or did not understand my post which
included "you can set up an electronic pass before you leave home or up
to three days after you travel on a toll road". And did not bother to
go to the Sydney site. But I'll try just one last time:

a. the cars don't come with tags: that'd mean the rental companies had
to allocate the tolls to hirers and collect the money, with scope for
arguments about the quantum, and so even more admin costs - costs they'd
pass on just like you don't want

b. it's down to the renter to register and pay

c. only if the renter doesn't pay does the rental company get involved.

--
Robin
Old December 15th 18, 04:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin wrote:

precisely wrong: if you heed the warnings and register in advance or
within 3 days and pay the tolls there's no surcharge etc whatsoever.

Well, sort of. I realize all systems aren't the same. Here's the web page for
Colorado E470, the most recent system I've used.

https://www.e-470.com/Pages/HowE470W...ntal-Cars.aspx

Setting up an Express Toll account does requires the payment of a $35 deposit in
advance and you have to add the rental car plate number to the account before
driving on the toll road. A bit cumbersome and expensive for one off trips.
Old December 15th 18, 04:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sigh. And of course after I posted I realized this was a UK group. Never mind.

Old December 15th 18, 04:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15/12/2018 16:48, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
Sigh. And of course after I posted I realized this was a UK group. Never mind.

But one currently discussing the Sydney[1] toll roads

[1] FTAOD Sydney, Australia - not Nova Scotia

--
Robin
Old December 15th 18, 07:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article nr1a1e1g4aqi3avoqad0k43dv3o0ii3cdd@None,
Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
"tim..." wrote:

and how do users of rental cars pay these tolls?

Toll company bills rental car company, rental car company charges card used for
rental. At least in my experience. The layers of administrative surcharges make
that an expensive option.

That's fairly typical.

Unfortunately, I think the transponder rules prohibit moving from car to car.

Not in the US. Most US toll transponders can be used in any car, so I
have a spare e-zpass that I use in the northeast and a Sunpass I use
in Florida.

I must not be the only one, since I bought a gizmo on Amazon that clips onto
the e-zpass and has a suction cup to stick to the windshield. (The regular
attachment is adhesive velcro strips.)

Failing that, many cashless tolls have a web site where you can pay by
license tag number within a few days.

For the toll roads, even if some of the tolls go unpaid, the vast
savings in not having staff at the tolls and not having to handle cash
more than covers it.

--
Regards,
John Levine, , Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Does anyone know what is up with the Central Line at the moment? london-lass London Transport 23 December 2nd 06 08:15 PM
Never a dull moment on the Tube Alan \(in Brussels\) London Transport 16 January 22nd 05 09:39 AM
New Tax Discs Nigel London Transport 41 February 27th 04 02:29 PM
The effects of a road congestion tax Tom Sacold London Transport 77 November 30th 03 03:51 AM
Big car owners face tax hike dave F London Transport 11 October 20th 03 01:45 PM