Old April 27th 04, 11:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How to spot ****s on the underground....

Detrained at Lambeth North this morning. Lanky bald ******* got into
the lift just as the doors opened, and then stood there repeatedly
punching the operation button until they closed again. When he went
through the barriers, it flashed up "child" on the display. He even
had the gall to then not leave as quickly as possible, but rather
stood using the payphone next to the entrance. ****.

If I wasn't already very late for work, I would have grassed him up to
the guy in the ticket office, although I wonder when they would have
bothered doing anything....
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk

Old April 28th 04, 07:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Nick Cooper wrote:
Detrained at Lambeth North this morning. Lanky bald ******* got into
the lift just as the doors opened, and then stood there repeatedly
punching the operation button until they closed again. When he went
through the barriers, it flashed up "child" on the display. He even
had the gall to then not leave as quickly as possible, but rather
stood using the payphone next to the entrance. ****.

Not as annoying as people getting through on your ticket by following
closely behind. I'm trying to perfect the art of leaving it till the
last possible moment before going through the barriers and them closing.
Unfortunately my laptop bag makes this harder.

And to broaden it a little, people that get onto a bus through the exit
doors on the side (and don't pay).

Dan
Old April 28th 04, 10:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 01:41:27 GMT, wrote:

From the header, I was hoping for seating
position/proper angle tips...

Lesson 2: How to spot pervs on the Underground.... :-)

Innocent I thought he was talking about the correct angle for helping a
weightlifter.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old April 28th 04, 06:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 08:37:14 +0100, Dan Gravell wrote:

Not as annoying as people getting through on your ticket by following
closely behind. I'm trying to perfect the art of leaving it till the
last possible moment before going through the barriers and them closing.
Unfortunately my laptop bag makes this harder.

Most auto barriers tend to have a sensor on the "other" side and will stay
open for a while until one person (theoretically) has passed through. I
have very often done the following without any problem getting through...

1) Put down coffee
2) Insert ticket
3) Remove ticket
4) Return ticket to wallet
5) Return wallet to pocket
6) Pick up coffee
7) Pass through barrier

....obviously not when the station is busy, mind!

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
Mail me on neil at the above domain; mail to the above address is NOT read

Old April 28th 04, 11:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Neil Williams wrote:
Most auto barriers tend to have a sensor on the "other" side and will stay
open for a while until one person (theoretically) has passed through. I
have very often done the following without any problem getting through...

1) Put down coffee
2) Insert ticket
3) Remove ticket
4) Return ticket to wallet
5) Return wallet to pocket
6) Pick up coffee
7) Pass through barrier

...obviously not when the station is busy, mind!

totally unlike most of the people I seem to get stuck behind....

1) Walk to barrier
2) Realise what that little piece of card they were given half an hour
later is for
3) Open handbag (because it usually is a woman)
4) Rake around in handbag for a bit
5) Get out purse
6) Find ticket in purse
7) Try to insert ticket in top of machine
8) Realise mistake and insert ticket in the front of the machine
9) Stand there for a bit wondering why gates haven't opened
10) Take ticket from machine, gates open
11) Stand there for a bit wondering if it's safe to go through
12) Pass through the barrier

..... or is it just me who comes across these idiots?

Old April 29th 04, 07:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Stuart wrote:
totally unlike most of the people I seem to get stuck behind....

1) Walk to barrier
2) Realise what that little piece of card they were given half an hour
later is for

[snip]

Don't get that much myself... but I suppose that's a dubious advantage
of most of my travelling being through Streatham which, alas, doesn't
have gates.

I get this kinda thing more in supermarkets, but that's a bit OT
Old April 29th 04, 07:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Stuart" wrote in message
11) Stand there for a bit wondering if it's safe to go through
12) Pass through the barrier

.... or is it just me who comes across these idiots?

Left handed ticket users can be hilarious. Some do a kind
of contortion to use their left hand to insert the ticket. I even
had one put the ticket in my slot on the next barrier to the left,
which was nice of him :-)

All these contortions and you can't help thinking how hard
can it be to hold a ticket that weighs about 5 grams in your
right hand ??!!

--
Edward Cowling - London - UK

Old April 29th 04, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

1) Walk to barrier
2) Realise what that little piece of card they were given half an hour
later is for
3) Open handbag (because it usually is a woman)
4) Rake around in handbag for a bit
5) Get out purse
6) Find ticket in purse
7) Try to insert ticket in top of machine
8) Realise mistake and insert ticket in the front of the machine
9) Stand there for a bit wondering why gates haven't opened
10) Take ticket from machine, gates open
11) Stand there for a bit wondering if it's safe to go through
12) Pass through the barrier

.... or is it just me who comes across these idiots?

Unfortunely London Underground do not offer a resdential training
course for customers about how to use ticket barriers. So those scum
that dare to use London Underground for the first time or only
occasionaly should obviously be banned. If people not going through
ticket barriers in less than 5.8 seconds bothers you so much why not
just use a different gate?
As a casual user of London Underground it is blantly obvious to me its
the regular users who can go through the gates at London Underground
who are the problem. These people usually travel before 9am and after
5pm and do one or more of the following:

1) Tut loudly when your valid ticket flashes up "Seek Assistance" and
then glare at you like your scum when you try and find someone to help
2) Interupt and shout at staff until they get attention when their
ticket does the same even if the member of staff is busy
3) Refers to the tourists who add billions of pounds to the economy
anually as "f*cking tourists". Miss "I Live in Sussex But Come In
London To Make Money Because A Job Where I Live Doesn't Pay So Much
and Probably Have Slightly Less Right To Be London Than The Tourists
Who Actually Are Spending Nights In London Even If Its In A Hotel" you
know who you are.
4) Does not see anyone else when they crash into them. Collide with
them. Kick their things.
5)Can not understand why when your holding on to a laptop case and two
other bags crushed on a train trying to keep your balance as there is
nothing to hold on and the station comes into a station you do not
leap out of there way straight away but infact waits until the train
comes to a stop or about to come to a stop ignoring their "excuse
me's" when start 3 seconds after they discover they are smaller than
you and can not budge you out of the way.

I prefer the people who don't know how to use the ticket machines. Or
the gates. Or can't understand the map. Or stand in the door because
they don't think about moving down the platform for the simple reason
that at least these people are polite. If you ask them to move out of
the way from standing in the middle of the passage staring at the map
they will. Not just look at you as those things with legs and arms
that are on the train when I get on the train don't usually talk why
is this one talking?