Old May 6th 04, 01:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Station To Station

John Rowland wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message

Yes, Northfields and South Ealing are the stations,
on the Piccadilly Line. They are only 0.48km apart.

Is that the distance between the station buildings? The platforms run
towards each other, so the nearest ends of the platforms must be only
about 240 metres apart.

The space between the ends of the platform is 850 feet or 259 meters. Not a
bad guess.

Old May 6th 04, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
Yes, Northfields and South Ealing are the stations,
on the Piccadilly Line. They are only 0.48km apart.

Is that the distance between the station buildings? The platforms run
towards each other, so the nearest ends of the platforms must be only about
240 metres apart.

My map shows the roads on which the station buildings are located as
590m apart. Multimaps aerial photo isn't as clear as it might be, but
seems to show the platform ends about 250m apart.

http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cg...550&y=179250&s
cale=5000
Old May 6th 04, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Annabel Smyth" wrote:

You can also see Canary Wharf (and, presumably, Poplar) from
West India Quay, and I think you can see it from Heron Quays as well,
although I'd not swear to that.

When the DLR first opened in 1987, from the platforms at West India Quay you
could see Westferry, Canary Wharf [never-opened and being dismantled!],
Heron Quays, South Quay, and Poplar. The view to South Quay is now blocked,
and you can only just see Heron Quays by peering through Canary Wharf. On
the other hand, Canary Wharf and Blackwall have now opened and both are
visible. I'm not sure if you can still see Westferry, or if you can now see
East India.

--
MetroGnome
~~~~~~~~~~

Old May 6th 04, 02:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message

Yes, Northfields and South Ealing are the stations,
on the Piccadilly Line. They are only 0.48km apart.

Is that the distance between the station buildings? The platforms
run towards each other, so the nearest ends of the platforms must
be only about 240 metres apart.

It's the distance quoted in CULG, and is probably an official LUL
distance, but I can find nothing on the site which indicates where such
distances are measured from. Perhaps Clive can comment?
--
Richard J.

Old May 6th 04, 03:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Richard J.
writes
Yes, Northfields and South Ealing are the stations,
on the Piccadilly Line. They are only 0.48km apart.

Is that the distance between the station buildings? The platforms
run towards each other, so the nearest ends of the platforms must
be only about 240 metres apart.

It's the distance quoted in CULG, and is probably an official LUL
distance, but I can find nothing on the site which indicates where such
distances are measured from.

The middle of the platforms is the only thing that would make sense.

If the far ends are 600m apart (underneath the roads they cross), and
the near ends are 250m apart; then that would be 425m, which is close
enough (given errors in the other two estimates).

Old May 6th 04, 03:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , Richard
J. writes
Yes, Northfields and South Ealing are the stations,
on the Piccadilly Line. They are only 0.48km apart.

Is that the distance between the station buildings? The platforms
run towards each other, so the nearest ends of the platforms must
be only about 240 metres apart.

It's the distance quoted in CULG, and is probably an official LUL
distance, but I can find nothing on the site which indicates where
such distances are measured from.

The middle of the platforms is the only thing that would make sense.

If the far ends are 600m apart (underneath the roads they cross), and
the near ends are 250m apart; then that would be 425m, which is close
enough (given errors in the other two estimates).

My earlier figure of 850 feet or 259 meters between platform ends comes from
an LT signalling diagram.

Old May 6th 04, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Brimstone
writes
My earlier figure of 850 feet or 259 meters between platform ends comes from
an LT signalling diagram.

So the other way to do the sums is to guess the platforms are 170m long
(room for 10 cars), which makes the middles 429m apart (and the ends
599m apart, which is exactly where the roads are).

480m doesn't fit that quite so well, unless the platforms are actually
even longer than that. Maybe someone can let us know if the platforms
extend under the roads at all.
Old May 6th 04, 06:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , Brimstone
writes
My earlier figure of 850 feet or 259 meters between platform ends
comes from an LT signalling diagram.

So the other way to do the sums is to guess the platforms are 170m
long (room for 10 cars), which makes the middles 429m apart (and the
ends 599m apart, which is exactly where the roads are).

480m doesn't fit that quite so well, unless the platforms are actually
even longer than that. Maybe someone can let us know if the platforms
extend under the roads at all.

Here's the diagram.

http://www.piccadillypilot.co.uk/bit...ing%201974.gif

Old May 6th 04, 07:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Brimstone
writes
So the other way to do the sums is to guess the platforms are 170m
long (room for 10 cars), which makes the middles 429m apart (and the
ends 599m apart, which is exactly where the roads are).

480m doesn't fit that quite so well, unless the platforms are actually
even longer than that. Maybe someone can let us know if the platforms
extend under the roads at all.

Here's the diagram.

http://www.piccadillypilot.co.uk/bit...ing%201974.gif

Northfields 425ft = 129m
South Ealing 427ft = 130m
Gap 878ft = 268m
C2C 1255ft = 383m

Total length including both platforms = 527m
Gap + half of each platform = 398m

C2C = from most central point marked on each platform
Old May 7th 04, 06:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Richard J.
writes
Yes, Northfields and South Ealing are the stations,
on the Piccadilly Line. They are only 0.48km apart.

It's the distance quoted in CULG, and is probably an official LUL
distance, but I can find nothing on the site which indicates where such
distances are measured from. Perhaps Clive can comment?

Those are normally taken at the mid-point of the station, though termini
may be the buffer stops instead.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: