Old May 7th 04, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Station To Station

On Thu, 6 May 2004 at 13:55:28, MetroGnome
wrote:

"Annabel Smyth" wrote:

You can also see Canary Wharf (and, presumably, Poplar) from
West India Quay, and I think you can see it from Heron Quays as well,
although I'd not swear to that.

When the DLR first opened in 1987, from the platforms at West India Quay you
could see Westferry, Canary Wharf [never-opened and being dismantled!],
Heron Quays, South Quay, and Poplar. The view to South Quay is now blocked,
and you can only just see Heron Quays by peering through Canary Wharf. On
the other hand, Canary Wharf and Blackwall have now opened and both are
visible. I'm not sure if you can still see Westferry, or if you can now see
East India.

I wouldn't have thought you could see East India, as, while it's easy to
see Blackwall from E.I. (when waiting for an eastbound, you can see it
before it stops at Blackwall), you can only see E.I. from Blackwall when
you get there.

I remember them rebuilding Canary Wharf - but didn't they also rebuild
West India Quay at one stage, too? I have vague memories of them doing
so when I used to prowl round that area (amazing what you could do with
a small child an an ODTC!) in the late 1980s, early 1990s!
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004

Old May 7th 04, 09:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 5 May 2004 18:30:23 +0100, Annabel Smyth
wrote:

On Tue, 4 May 2004 at 21:16:41, Annabel Smyth
wrote:

You can see Surrey Quays and Rotherhithe from Canada Water. And on the
DLR you can see West India Quay from Poplar (especially going East),

I was tired when I wrote that! I meant, of course, going WEST.

Surely it doesn't matter which way you're going, only which way you're
looking...? ;-)

Charlie

--
Remove NO-SPOO-PLEASE from my email address to reply
Please send no unsolicited email or foodstuffs
Old May 7th 04, 10:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 04 May 2004 19:29:44 +0100, Ian Tindale wrote:
Okay, related to 'What to see on the tube', but a specific subthread of:
From which DLR/LU stations can you see other stations from the platforms?

You can see Finchley Road (Met & Jub) from the south end of the platforms at
West Hamstead (Jub).

--
u n d e r a c h i e v e r
Old May 8th 04, 11:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

You can see Surrey Quays and Rotherhithe from Canada Water. And on the
DLR you can see West India Quay from Poplar (especially going East),

I was tired when I wrote that! I meant, of course, going WEST.

Surely it doesn't matter which way you're going, only which way you're
looking...? ;-)

Charlie

Actually, at Poplar it does, because the Eastbound platform is right on
the far side of the station from Canary Wharf - it's (I think) platform
4; platform 1 being Beckton-Tower Gateway (from which you can see West
India Quay and very nearly Canary Wharf), platform 2 is
Stratford-Crossharbour; platform 3 Crossharbour-Stratford and platform 4
Tower Gateway-Beckton. The track then goes up on to a flyover over the
Stratford tracks - and I think that the trains are timetabled such that
a Beckton-bound train and a Stratford-bound train often coincide at
Poplar, enabling a very quick interchange.