London Banter

-   -   What news on the Goblin 710s? (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17373-what-news-goblin-710s.html)

[email protected] January 17th 19 11:03 AM

What news on the Goblin 710s?

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 12:34:26 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:18:52 on Wed, 16 Jan
2019, Neil J Robertson remarked:

Unlike cars trains are build to order. It would have been
fairly simple for Bombadier to build some more 378s

Not if you've thrown away the jigs, and/or there are compliance issues
with a new build of an old design.

And, of course, the 378s do not share a platform with the S stock. Neil is
wrong, as usual.

Same traction and control system which is the important part. The bodyshells
are all built to order anyway.

I notice you never point our when you're wrong which is pretty often.
Still think ordering the 710s was a great idea?

Recliner[_3_] January 17th 19 02:11 PM

What news on the Goblin 710s?

Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:18:52 on Wed, 16 Jan
2019, Neil J Robertson remarked:

Unlike cars trains are build to order. It would have been
fairly simple for Bombadier to build some more 378s

Not if you've thrown away the jigs, and/or there are compliance issues
with a new build of an old design.

And, of course, the 378s do not share a platform with the S stock. Neil is
wrong, as usual.

Same traction and control system which is the important part.

Really?

The bodyshells
are all built to order anyway.

Using jigs.

I notice you never point our when you're wrong which is pretty often.
Still think ordering the 710s was a great idea?

Yes, of course.

[email protected] January 19th 19 01:21 PM

What news on the Goblin 710s?

Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:18:52 on Wed, 16 Jan
2019, Neil J Robertson remarked:

Unlike cars trains are build to order. It would have been
fairly simple for Bombadier to build some more 378s

Not if you've thrown away the jigs, and/or there are compliance issues
with a new build of an old design.

And, of course, the 378s do not share a platform with the S stock. Neil is
wrong, as usual.

Same traction and control system which is the important part.

Really?

MITRAC.

The bodyshells
are all built to order anyway.

Using jigs.

Jigs arn't rocket science and reassembling some for an older design would be a
lot less expensive than the mess we have now.

I notice you never point our when you're wrong which is pretty often.
Still think ordering the 710s was a great idea?

Yes, of course.

Why not go ask some goblin passengers and see if they agree with you.

Robin9 January 20th 19 10:22 AM

The issue is not if it was right to order the 710s. It's whether
TfL should have allowed for a delay preventing their being
in use by December, 2019.

[email protected] January 20th 19 04:53 PM

What news on the Goblin 710s?

On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 10:22:07 +0000
Robin9 wrote:
The issue is not if it was right to order the 710s. It's whether
TfL should have allowed for a delay preventing their being
in use by December, 2019.

Well they've never been blessed with foresight and they've
painted themselves into a tight corner. If they can't find
some spare 378s then it looks like it'll be a bustitute
until the 710s turn up - whenever that will be. If the delays
are as stated purely down to software issues then I'd venture
these issues are pretty intractable since they should have had an
off the shelf solution ready to go, its not exactly bleeding edge
tech.

Recliner[_3_] January 20th 19 05:08 PM

What news on the Goblin 710s?

Robin9 wrote:
The issue is not if it was right to order the 710s. It's whether
TfL should have allowed for a delay preventing their being
in use by December, 2019.

Well they've never been blessed with foresight and they've
painted themselves into a tight corner. If they can't find
some spare 378s then it looks like it'll be a bustitute
until the 710s turn up - whenever that will be. If the delays
are as stated purely down to software issues then I'd venture
these issues are pretty intractable since they should have had an
off the shelf solution ready to go, its not exactly bleeding edge
tech.

And which software, exactly, have you reviewed and characterised as 'not
exactly bleeding edge'?

[email protected] January 21st 19 12:12 PM

What news on the Goblin 710s?

Robin9 wrote:
The issue is not if it was right to order the 710s. It's whether
TfL should have allowed for a delay preventing their being
in use by December, 2019.

Well they've never been blessed with foresight and they've
painted themselves into a tight corner. If they can't find
some spare 378s then it looks like it'll be a bustitute
until the 710s turn up - whenever that will be. If the delays
are as stated purely down to software issues then I'd venture
these issues are pretty intractable since they should have had an
off the shelf solution ready to go, its not exactly bleeding edge
tech.

And which software, exactly, have you reviewed and characterised as 'not
exactly bleeding edge'?

Train software. Its not stealth radar or a spacecraft control system they're
trying to get working. It moves in 1 dimension on a track and moving block
signalling and IGBT train control systems are a solved problem and should be
off the shelf packages from their suppliers. If Bombadier have been dumb enough
to write everything from scratch then more fool them and someone should get
their P45.