London Banter

-   -   When the software meets the hardware (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17456-when-software-meets-hardware.html)

blt_77@_5zf0fwk3e7.edu January 28th 19 11:11 AM

When the software meets the hardware

On 28 Jan 2019 11:06:05 GMT
Marland wrote:
wrote:

“Perhaps install more toilets in stations and get rid of them on trains
altogether. We're a small island, there are no journeys really long enough
to make them worthwhile except maybe the overnight sleeper to scotland”.

It was after that you asked “ How did they cope in the past?”

Now you trying to claim that you were talking solely about commuter trains
again in attempt to bolster your weak proposal. Won’t wash Pal, others can

follow a thread that shows your arguments descending into impracticality

Not you though since you obviously missed the bit where I spoke about
thamelinks. Or did you think that was a long distance service?

You asked the question “How did they cope in the past” when it was quite
clear the thread had moved onto the problems your silly proposal to remove
all train toilets except sleepers would create.
That you spoke about about Thameslink as well doesn’t camouflage that no
matter how much you try and convince that you only meant services like
theirs all along because you realised how stupid your initiall extreme
stance was.

There are few services in this country long enough to justify train toilets
IMO. Sure, some run long distance but most are not the sort of services people
stay on end to end, WCML and ECML excepted.

You can resort to Boltar bluster as much as you like but what you wrote is
out there.

It is. Why not try reading it.

Jonathan Amery January 28th 19 11:33 AM

When the software meets the hardware

In article ,
wrote:
Where are you going where you need to travel for an hour on B roads? Northern
Scotland?

Destinations included the Lake District, Mid-Wales, North York Moors,
and East Anglia (although in East Anglia I suspect those roads were
officially A roads).

Nowadays I don't own a car so...

For that matter the few motorway services I have the misfortune to
encounter are rarely even as clean as railway toilets.

Its probably a toss up with station toilets vs service station toilets for
cleanliness. But most *train* toilets are usually fairly disgusting in the
few times I've seen in.

With the exception of Sidcup station which is basic but kept nicely
clean and Kings Cross where I'm always surprised by the cleanlyness
I'd probably put the train and station toilets the other way around in
the parts of the SE I travel in regularly.

--
Jonathan Amery. For the wonders that astound us,
##### For the truths that still confound us,

Basil Jet[_4_] January 28th 19 12:16 PM

On 28/01/2019 12:33, Jonathan Amery wrote:

and Kings Cross where I'm always surprised by the cleanlyness

Maybe because no-one uses them because the ones at St Pancras are free?

--
Basil Jet - Current favourite song...
What by Bruce

Arthur Figgis January 28th 19 05:08 PM

When the software meets the hardware

On 28/01/2019 12:10, wrote:
On 28 Jan 2019 10:19:40 +0000 (GMT)
Jonathan Amery wrote:

You must go to some fairly boring places for holiday.

Nothing boring about Europe.

Frankfurt is a thing in Europe.

(thinking of the /M version... I've only ever passed through /O, which
for all I know might be like Barcelona on a bank holiday Friday when
someone is offering free beer)

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Charles Ellson[_2_] January 28th 19 05:33 PM

When the software meets the hardware

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 10:19:27 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 23:51:26 +0000
Charles Ellson wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 17:42:37 +0000 (UTC),

wrote:

On 27 Jan 2019 14:23:46 GMT
Marland wrote:
wrote:
Then there is the large percentage of the population who are female whose
different plumbing ,menstrual
cycles and smaller bladder capacity when pregnant often means they need
toilet facilities more often than men.

How did they cope in the past?

Stayed at home in the absence of suitable facilities or supplies? It
still happens now - Google for "period poverty".

Google tampons and sanitary towels.

https://plan-uk.org/media-centre/1-i...r-survey-finds

Anna Noyd-Dryver January 28th 19 05:56 PM

When the software meets the hardware

wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 13:55:38 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
A portable vacuum unit to empty them. How else?

The walkways along the stabling sidings aren’t sufficient for a mobile
vacuum unit (does such a thing even exist?) let alone a wheeled tank

Have you never seen the lorry that empties a septic tank?

Will it fit along the platform, down a flight of stairs, across the 2 feet
wide boarded walkway, and along the ballast down the 4 foot gap between
trains?

suitable for 10 CET tanks-worth of effluent. I doubt there are suitable
facilities to discharge said mobile vacuum unit either.

Presumably it would use the same facilities as the other methods.

The fixed equipment at depots have a larger-than-portakabin-sized building
which handles the effluent, and a proper feed into the sewage system.
Neither available at the stabling sidings mentioned.

So make the open inward. Why does it have to slide? How do disabled people
cope in non train toilets?

Sliding door allows the toilet cubicle to fit in the space available in the
train.

They managed to install toilets on le shuttle with normal doors. People seem
to manage to use them.

The toilets on Le Shuttle aren’t a great example to compare things to.
They’re disgusting. Clarkson was right to **** in a bottle.

10 hours? Where the hell is it going from and to?

Edinburgh to Penzance. It forms an early PM peak commuter train from
Bristol.

I doubt many people went end to end.

I never said they did. I guess a fair number of people make 4-5 hour
journeys though.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

blt_9q9eo8b@pd_ys0364p5am380gy.net January 29th 19 08:32 AM

When the software meets the hardware

On 28 Jan 2019 12:33:11 +0000 (GMT)
Jonathan Amery wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Where are you going where you need to travel for an hour on B roads? Northern
Scotland?

Destinations included the Lake District, Mid-Wales, North York Moors,
and East Anglia (although in East Anglia I suspect those roads were
officially A roads).

You must have driven fairly leisurely then. Few places in England at least are
far from A roads these days.

[email protected] January 29th 19 08:33 AM

When the software meets the hardware

Jonathan Amery wrote:

You must go to some fairly boring places for holiday.

Nothing boring about Europe.

Frankfurt is a thing in Europe.

(thinking of the /M version... I've only ever passed through /O, which
for all I know might be like Barcelona on a bank holiday Friday when
someone is offering free beer)

I've been to the business Frankfurt once. It was enough for one lifetime tbh.
Clean, efficient, friendly (for germany) but totally and utterly boring as hell.

[email protected] January 29th 19 08:34 AM

When the software meets the hardware

Charles Ellson wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 17:42:37 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

On 27 Jan 2019 14:23:46 GMT
Marland wrote:
wrote:
Then there is the large percentage of the population who are female

whose
different plumbing ,menstrual
cycles and smaller bladder capacity when pregnant often means they need
toilet facilities more often than men.

How did they cope in the past?

Stayed at home in the absence of suitable facilities or supplies? It
still happens now - Google for "period poverty".

Google tampons and sanitary towels.

https://plan-uk.org/media-centre/1-i...o-afford-sanit
ary-wear-survey-finds

But I bet their parents can still afford the Sky subscription and fags.

[email protected] January 29th 19 08:37 AM

When the software meets the hardware

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
A portable vacuum unit to empty them. How else?

The walkways along the stabling sidings aren’t sufficient for a mobile
vacuum unit (does such a thing even exist?) let alone a wheeled tank

Have you never seen the lorry that empties a septic tank?

Will it fit along the platform, down a flight of stairs, across the 2 feet
wide boarded walkway, and along the ballast down the 4 foot gap between
trains?

They could try using a long hose. Honestly, if the railways can't think of
a way to empty a septic tank then they're really up **** creak. Pun intended.

The fixed equipment at depots have a larger-than-portakabin-sized building
which handles the effluent, and a proper feed into the sewage system.
Neither available at the stabling sidings mentioned.

Then they should be.

They managed to install toilets on le shuttle with normal doors. People seem
to manage to use them.

The toilets on Le Shuttle aren’t a great example to compare things to.
They’re disgusting. Clarkson was right to **** in a bottle.

TBH I don't see the purpose of them either. The journey is only 45 mins.

Edinburgh to Penzance. It forms an early PM peak commuter train from
Bristol.

I doubt many people went end to end.

I never said they did. I guess a fair number of people make 4-5 hour
journeys though.

Maybe once in a blue moon.