Old January 27th 19, 01:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default When the software meets the hardware

On 26 Jan 2019 23:10:47 GMT
Marland wrote:
wrote:

Perhaps install more toilets in stations and get rid of them on trains
altogether. We're a small island, there are no journeys really long enough

make them worthwhile except maybe the overnight sleeper to scotland but

thats

not a commuter train.

People travelling 5h30 from Paddington to Penzance might disagree.

Possibly, but those sort of journeys are probably 1 in 1000. There's little
reason to have toilets on most multiple units IMO, certainly not something
like Thameslink where the average journey is probably 45 mins.

Thought you had children?
Many youngsters are not able to go for hours without having to go the
toilet and many seem to want use one soon after all preparations have been
completed ,possibly brought on by excitement.
Would not like to spend the time on a long journey in the vicinity of an 7
year old who has **** himself and a child of that age will not be in
nappies.

Which is why when we go out as a family we take the car. I'll put up with
delays and all the usual PT bull**** when I'm commuting into London but not on
holiday or for a nice day out.

Then there is the large percentage of the population who are female whose
different plumbing ,menstrual
cycles and smaller bladder capacity when pregnant often means they need
toilet facilities more often than men.

How did they cope in the past?

Old January 27th 19, 01:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 22:20:37 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 09:52:16 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 20:22:39 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
The vacuum flush saves water and retention tank capacity and allows the
train to run a whole day (or maybe two, for those which outstable) without

tanking;

How delightful. A mobile sewage farm.

The alternative is for the entire railway to be the sewage farm.

I meant in the sense of them no necessarily being emptied every night.

How else would you deal with the sets which outstable at Hereford,
Worcester and Exeter?

A portable vacuum unit to empty them. How else?

The walkways along the stabling sidings aren’t sufficient for a mobile
vacuum unit (does such a thing even exist?) let alone a wheeled tank
suitable for 10 CET tanks-worth of effluent. I doubt there are suitable
facilities to discharge said mobile vacuum unit either.

I can't remember the last time the toilets in my office failed never mind
my house. As for the locks failing, who the hell cares? Keep it shut with

your
foot.

How does that work with a sliding door, a wheelchair user, or even a
non-wheelchair user in the accessible toilets where the door is too far
away? Or the occasional station toilet cubicle where the door opens
outwards...

So make the open inward. Why does it have to slide? How do disabled people
cope in non train toilets?

Sliding door allows the toilet cubicle to fit in the space available in the
train.

The toilets in your house presumably aren’t used as intensively as train
ones? Over the years I’ve known domestic toilets get blocked, flush broken,
flushes which only work with a certain technique, multiple flushes needed
to actually clear the bowl... Mess room toilets which perhaps approach
train toilet frequency of use, get blocked often enough that people add the
word 'again' when they talk about it...

I can barely recall the last time I saw anyone use a toilet on a commuter
train.

Possibly, but those sort of journeys are probably 1 in 1000. There's little
reason to have toilets on most multiple units IMO, certainly not something
like Thameslink where the average journey is probably 45 mins.

Round here the commuter trains are often in the middle of long journeys,
between 4 and 10 hours end-to-end. Just because I’m only on board for 15
minutes doesn’t mean everyone else is.

10 hours? Where the hell is it going from and to?

Edinburgh to Penzance. It forms an early PM peak commuter train from
Bristol.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old January 27th 19, 02:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
On 26 Jan 2019 23:10:47 GMT
Marland wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Fine that solution suits you, not every family has a car or wants to use
one for every journey.
Then there is the large percentage of the population who are female whose
different plumbing ,menstrual
cycles and smaller bladder capacity when pregnant often means they need
toilet facilities more often than men.

How did they cope in the past?

How far back is your past, we have had toilets on most long distance
trains since the early 20th century,and public toilets for women began to
be accepted as the industrial revolution moved women away from homes into
jobs at factories .
Even then long distance travel was the preserve of the better off who could
afford it , they would often have servant who carried a chamber pot and
where the long dresses of the era provided some modesty, women only
compartments were not just there to guard against sexual assault.

Victorian newspapers and catalogues carried many and ad for urine bottles
that could be used in such circumstances, it is a sign of the times with
many public toilets being closed that modern equivalents are being sold in
quite large numbers from well known high street names for motorists and
others .

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5718751

GH

Old January 27th 19, 05:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 13:55:38 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
A portable vacuum unit to empty them. How else?

The walkways along the stabling sidings aren’t sufficient for a mobile
vacuum unit (does such a thing even exist?) let alone a wheeled tank

Have you never seen the lorry that empties a septic tank?

suitable for 10 CET tanks-worth of effluent. I doubt there are suitable
facilities to discharge said mobile vacuum unit either.

Presumably it would use the same facilities as the other methods.

So make the open inward. Why does it have to slide? How do disabled people
cope in non train toilets?

Sliding door allows the toilet cubicle to fit in the space available in the
train.

They managed to install toilets on le shuttle with normal doors. People seem
to manage to use them.

10 hours? Where the hell is it going from and to?

Edinburgh to Penzance. It forms an early PM peak commuter train from
Bristol.

I doubt many people went end to end.

Old January 27th 19, 05:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 27 Jan 2019 14:23:46 GMT
Marland wrote:
wrote:
Then there is the large percentage of the population who are female whose
different plumbing ,menstrual
cycles and smaller bladder capacity when pregnant often means they need
toilet facilities more often than men.

How did they cope in the past?

How far back is your past, we have had toilets on most long distance
trains since the early 20th century,and public toilets for women began to

I'm not talking about long distance, I'm talking about commuter trains.
Anyway, femninists are always telling us there's no difference between men
and women bar the obvious so...

Old January 27th 19, 09:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
On 27 Jan 2019 14:23:46 GMT
Marland wrote:
wrote:
Then there is the large percentage of the population who are female whose
different plumbing ,menstrual
cycles and smaller bladder capacity when pregnant often means they need
toilet facilities more often than men.

How did they cope in the past?

How far back is your past, we have had toilets on most long distance
trains since the early 20th century,and public toilets for women began to

I'm not talking about long distance, I'm talking about commuter trains.
Anyway, femninists are always telling us there's no difference between men
and women bar the obvious so...

You followed up my mentioning of longer trips like Waterloo-Exeter to tell
us that for such journeys you take your family in the car so you were
already aware that I was not talking about short commuter journeys when you
replied as my post said said “
Then there is the large percentage of the population who are female whose
different plumbing ,menstrual cycles and smaller bladder capacity when
pregnant often means they need toilet facilities more often than men. I
would agree you don’t need toilets on commuter trains where “, so it was
fairly obvious we had moved onto longer distance services prompted by your
absurd statement upthread
“Perhaps install more toilets in stations and get rid of them on trains
altogether. We're a small island, there are no journeys really long enough
to make them worthwhile except maybe the overnight sleeper to scotland”.

It was after that you asked “ How did they cope in the past?”

Now you trying to claim that you were talking solely about commuter trains
again in attempt to bolster your weak proposal. Won’t wash Pal, others can
follow a thread that shows your arguments descending into impracticality
even if you can’t keep track of what you read and write.

GH

Old January 27th 19, 10:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Marland wrote:
wrote:
On 27 Jan 2019 14:23:46 GMT
Marland wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Welcome to Neil Robertson's world.

It simply isn't worth having a discussion with him. Most of us no longer
bother.

Old January 27th 19, 10:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 26/01/2019 23:10, Marland wrote:

I would agree you don’t need toilets on commuter trains where such as
crossrail where off train facilities can not be too far away and frequent
services make journey interruptions not the end of the world

Unless something unpredictable happens, like it gets cold at Lewisham in
winter.

IIRC the Dutch decided trains didn't need tiolets - the (European bit
of) The Netherlands is quite compact - but they soon changed their mind
and it is now a requirement.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK