Old May 14th 04, 07:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Croxley Link progress

Tom Anderson wrote in message ...

I'm glad i'm not the only person who looks at maps of the network and
wonders why there are so many lines crossing without stations. LU are
doing something about the Central/Picc at Park Royal, but there seem to be
equally daft near-misses at West Ruislip (Central/Picc+Met), Kenton as you
mention, several points along the NLL and GOBLin (admittedly not LU's
fault) and more than i want to think about in south London (also generally
not LU's fault; one exception, and my particular favourite, is the
Northern/Sutton Loop miss at Morden - the far end of Morden tube depot is
hard by Morden South NR station: how hard could it have been to join the
dots here?).

tom

It would be nice just to have close pairs of stations marked on maps,
and signs at each giving directions to the other. Things have got
better in recent years, but when the DLR opened there was no
indication at Shadwell as to how to get to the ELL station, and at one
time no signage at either end of the Kenton/Northwick Park walking
route. Through bookings for such journeys, involving a short walk,
would also be nice.

It's a pity they can't re-open the original entrance to the ELL
entrance at Shadwell, to give a better interchange.

There are many other places where a short walk between stations on
different lines is the best way of making the journey for most people.

Old May 14th 04, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Stephen Furley" wrote in message
m...

There are many other places where a short walk between stations on
different lines is the best way of making the journey for most people.

The problem seems to be that LUL's perception of what is a short walk
between stations and that of most people is quite different. I suspect that
LUL use staff that are off work with bad ankles (inbetween squash games) to
identify their interchanges.

For example, I regard Seven Sisters (LUL/NR) to South Tottenham (NR) as a
short walk. It takes approximately five minutes and is, in my terminology,
"round the corner and over the road". However, unless it is a short stagger,
e.g. West Hampstead LUL to West Hampstead (NR) or West Hampstead Thameslink
(NR) then they don't identify potential links.

Perhaps the solution is to colour code them, e.g. green for under two
minutes walk between stations, yellow for two to five minutes walk etc.?

Old May 14th 04, 03:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jack Taylor wrote:
[...]

West Hampstead LU to Thameslink may be a short stagger but it's a
headache with luggage (although probably shorter than the full-blown
migraine that is Green Park). There's also ease of interchange to take
into account too - some street interchanges may be short but are
certainly not particularly easy (Bounds Green to Bowes Park springs to
mind; the signing is OK but to the uninitiated it feels like you are
walking into the dead end of a housing estate).

Colour-coding does sound like a good idea - a simple dotted line between
nearby stations where interchange would be useful. It could show the
rough distance if necessary.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old May 14th 04, 05:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14 May 2004 00:53:10 -0700, (Stephen
Furley) wrote:

It would be nice just to have close pairs of stations marked on maps,
and signs at each giving directions to the other.

well here's a map - it's been posted here before.

http://rodcorp.typepad.com/photos/ar..._final_lm.html
--
Paul C

Old May 15th 04, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 14 May 2004 at 16:57:57, Dave Arquati wrote:

(although probably shorter than the full-blown migraine that is Green
Park).

If you're talking changing between the Picc. and Vicky lines there -
it's far quicker to go up the escalators, across the ticket hall, and
down the other side, as you do if you're changing between the Jubilee &
other lines. Or, as my old man once said, it might not actually *be*
quicker, but it *feels* quicker, especially with luggage!
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 9 May 2004

Old May 15th 04, 11:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Annabel Smyth wrote:
On Fri, 14 May 2004 at 16:57:57, Dave Arquati wrote:

(although probably shorter than the full-blown migraine that is Green
Park).

If you're talking changing between the Picc. and Vicky lines there -
it's far quicker to go up the escalators, across the ticket hall, and
down the other side, as you do if you're changing between the Jubilee &
other lines. Or, as my old man once said, it might not actually *be*
quicker, but it *feels* quicker, especially with luggage!

I would never change between Picc and Vic at Green Park - I'd much
rather get the District to Victoria and change there instead.
Unfortunately Picc - Jubilee I do sometimes do - mainly when I can't
pick up Thameslink from King's Cross or Blackfriars, so I go to West
Hampstead instead. Although Green Park is evil... the Circle line (to
Baker St) is far worse.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old May 16th 04, 09:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

There are many other places where a short walk between stations on
different lines is the best way of making the journey for most people.

The problem seems to be that LUL's perception of what is a short walk
between stations and that of most people is quite different. I suspect that
LUL use staff that are off work with bad ankles (inbetween squash games) to
identify their interchanges.

That seems to be the case most of the time. Then they claimed that
Euston Sq was vaguely near Euston (actually, the exit's closer to
Warren St).
Old May 18th 04, 11:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message

I do Victoria-Jubilee fairly regularly at Green Park to get from King's
Cross to Westminster. It's better than the others if you're in the right
part of the train on the Victoria.

The problem with changing to the Piccadilly is that, if you enter at
Victoria, then you have to walk the entire length of the platform at either
Victoria or Green Park to get to the interchange passageway. It makes taking
a bus to Piccadilly a much better option. I've never done the Jubilee
interchange, now that our main line trains are all Thameslink.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm