Old April 3rd 19, 09:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail in trouble - again!

On 03/04/2019 15:24, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 03/04/2019 11:47, Graeme Wall wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47787367

"None of the stations are yet finished"

Surprising word order aside, that is staggering. How could every one of
them be running late? Weren't they built by different contractors?

Yes. I suspect that once the opening was delayed, they cut back on the
overtime working that would have been required for even the most complete
stations to meet the December 2018 target date. It's cheaper to complete
the stations at a more relaxed pace.

How much overtime weere they planning to work? The delay was finally
admitted 4 months before opening, which was 5 months ago - even if
everyone was working double shifts they should have finished by now...

Old April 3rd 19, 10:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Basil Jet wrote:
On 03/04/2019 11:47, Graeme Wall wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47787367

"None of the stations are yet finished"

Surprising word order aside, that is staggering. How could every one of
them be running late? Weren't they built by different contractors?

Yes. I suspect that once the opening was delayed, they cut back on the
overtime working that would have been required for even the most complete
stations to meet the December 2018 target date. It's cheaper to complete
the stations at a more relaxed pace.

How much overtime weere they planning to work? The delay was finally
admitted 4 months before opening, which was 5 months ago - even if
everyone was working double shifts they should have finished by now...

I believe a few of the new stations could have been just about ready to
open, but not necessarily complete, by the December target date; at least a
couple were many months behind, and wouldn't have been able to open at all
by then. Now, they can take their time to finish even the near-complete
stations.

It's obviously extraordinary that the widespread delays to the stations,
train signalling and testing weren't noticed (or at least reported) by the
management until so close to the planned opening date. Was it a deliberate
cover-up, or just incompetence at the senior management and political
levels (or both)?

Old April 4th 19, 06:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 22:51:26 on Wed, 3 Apr
2019, Someone Somewhere remarked:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 03/04/2019 11:47, Graeme Wall wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47787367

"None of the stations are yet finished"

Surprising word order aside, that is staggering. How could every one of
them be running late? Weren't they built by different contractors?

Yes. I suspect that once the opening was delayed, they cut back on
the
overtime working that would have been required for even the most complete
stations to meet the December 2018 target date. It's cheaper to complete
the stations at a more relaxed pace.

How much overtime weere they planning to work? The delay was finally
admitted 4 months before opening, which was 5 months ago

I rather suspect the myth of that timescale has been exploded by the new
boss.

Old April 4th 19, 07:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 22:08:32 on Wed, 3 Apr 2019,
Recliner remarked:

It's obviously extraordinary that the widespread delays to the stations,
train signalling and testing weren't noticed (or at least reported) by the
management until so close to the planned opening date. Was it a deliberate
cover-up, or just incompetence at the senior management and political
levels (or both)?

Many of the above I suspect. It seems to have resulted in Sir Terry
Morgan losing his new job at HS2 as well as the old one at Crossrail.
Old April 4th 19, 07:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

I understand removing overtime, but surely they could have finished one
or more of the stations by now? If so, then any associated workforce
may be able to be used on other parts of the project to not slow that
down any further.

Old April 4th 19, 08:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

There's no point rushing to finish a station, then moth-balling it for a
year or so. What they did have to finish quickly was any trackside work,
such as installing the PEDs, so that it didn't get in the way of test
running.

In any case, the stations will be at different levels of completion. Some
may still be having wiring, lifts and escalators installed, while the more
complete ones are probably just getting the final decorative finishing.

Old April 4th 19, 09:49 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 03/04/2019 11:47, Graeme Wall wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47787367

"None of the stations are yet finished"

Surprising word order aside, that is staggering. How could every one of
them be running late? Weren't they built by different contractors?

Yes. I suspect that once the opening was delayed, they cut back on the
overtime working that would have been required for even the most complete
stations to meet the December 2018 target date.

A chap I know can still work 7 days a week if he wants, so there's
no shortage of overtime.

--
Mike Bristow
Old April 4th 19, 10:01 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 03/04/2019 11:47, Graeme Wall wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47787367

"None of the stations are yet finished"

Surprising word order aside, that is staggering. How could every one of
them be running late? Weren't they built by different contractors?

Yes. I suspect that once the opening was delayed, they cut back on the
overtime working that would have been required for even the most complete
stations to meet the December 2018 target date.

A chap I know can still work 7 days a week if he wants, so there's
no shortage of overtime.

Is that on stations that are near-complete, or on the ones that were far
behind schedule?

Old April 4th 19, 10:07 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Recliner wrote:
Mike Bristow wrote:
A chap I know can still work 7 days a week if he wants, so there's
no shortage of overtime.

Is that on stations that are near-complete, or on the ones that were far
behind schedule?

Dunno, I'm afraid: we usually talk about other things. I'll ask next
time I see him (if I remember).

--
Mike Bristow

Old April 4th 19, 10:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
Recliner wrote:
Mike Bristow wrote:
A chap I know can still work 7 days a week if he wants, so there's
no shortage of overtime.

Is that on stations that are near-complete, or on the ones that were far
behind schedule?

Dunno, I'm afraid: we usually talk about other things. I'll ask next
time I see him (if I remember).

I think, by definition, some stations still have lots more work to do,
which is why the opening has been delayed so much. There will be plenty of
pressure to get them finished asap, as their completion will determine the
earliest opening date. The same will be true of the train/signalling
testing. This delayed opening is losing TfL a lot of revenue, after all.

But some other stations are almost complete, and there's little point in
spending more than necessary to finish them off, given that they'll then be
moth-balled for a year or more anyway.