Old April 26th 19, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Routemasters

Something that seem to have passed me by but I became aware of today while
reading something else
is the reduction in the Heritage Routemaster Operation.
Appears it will now be seasonal and weekends only.
Any locals with the full story?

GH

Old April 26th 19, 02:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26/04/2019 14:26, Marland wrote:

Something that seem to have passed me by but I became aware of today while
reading something else
is the reduction in the Heritage Routemaster Operation.
Appears it will now be seasonal and weekends only.
Any locals with the full story?

Don't know about full but the reduction was known about last year.
Reasons covered in eg
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/changes-to...tage-buses.pdf

--
Robin
Old April 26th 19, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin wrote:
On 26/04/2019 14:26, Marland wrote:

Something that seem to have passed me by but I became aware of today while
reading something else
is the reduction in the Heritage Routemaster Operation.
Appears it will now be seasonal and weekends only.
Any locals with the full story?

Don't know about full but the reduction was known about last year.
Reasons covered in eg
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/changes-to...tage-buses.pdf

Thanks,
Looks a typical case of we shall ask the interested parties but then
disagree with their views and implement
what we want anyway.
If they want to alter it on economic grounds and declining ridership fair
enough.
No need to blame the lack of disabled access on a route that had accessible
buses serving it anyway and this issue was known about when it became a
heritage service.
It’s not politically correct to say so but disability is what it is where
the individuals affected cannot do a lot of things that most can, I’m all
for making life as normal as possible for those in that position but it
should not be at the detriment of those who are not to enjoy things.
There was an interesting collection of electrical equipment not far from
where I live known as the electricity museum ,one of the exhibits was a
Bournemouth Tram that in its later Llandudno guise was once an exhibit in
the Clapham Transport Museum.
Because it was not possible to provide the disabled with access to the the
upper floor at an affordability cost the place was closed instead. My
missus works with disabled and on a visit they were quite happy to see the
main items on the lower floor and weren’t that bothered about not seeing
the collection of old Irons, toasters and electric bed warmers upstairs.Now
they have lost another venue to visit completely.

https://youtu.be/kQh_ocOY1eM

GH

Old April 26th 19, 07:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 14:50:22 +0100, Robin wrote:

Don't know about full but the reduction was known about last year.
Reasons covered in eg
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/changes-to...tage-buses.pdf

Why is the reason for keeping the submitter secret? What sort of
entity would that be?

--
jhk
Old April 26th 19, 08:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26/04/2019 19:17, Jarle Hammen Knudsen wrote:
On Fri, 26 Apr 2019 14:50:22 +0100, Robin wrote:

Don't know about full but the reduction was known about last year.
Reasons covered in eg
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/changes-to...tage-buses.pdf

Why is the reason for keeping the submitter secret? What sort of
entity would that be?

Someone who didn't want to get all the flak from the users and supporters.

Buried in the .pdf "As London’s transport authority we have
a clear mandate and requirement to provide Londoner’s with a safe,
integrated, accessible, clean, efficient and economic transport service.
Operating and marketing a tourist bus is outside our mandate."

They also mention that the subsidy per passenger on the 15H is £9.00 as
against £0.23 on the 15.

No matter what we think, this last is probably the real reason, all the
rest is window dressing.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Old April 27th 19, 07:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 26/04/2019 20:26, John Williamson wrote:
[...]

It was also running at an average of something like 10 passengers per
bus which seems very low for that route.

Although saying that, and TfL saying that running tourist buses isn't in
their remit, you frequently see very small numbers on the hop-on/off
buses which presumably contribute to congestion and pollution. I'd have
thought TfL could run a much better service...
Old April 27th 19, 08:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Someone Somewhere wrote:
[...]

It would be interesting to know what the normal buses on that route carry.
I can well understand that 12 years after normal Routemaster services were
withdrawn the lure of riding on them has diminished, the bus enthusiasts
will have had their fill and for many tourists a London bus just has to be
Double Deck and Red. Many of the the younger visitors will have been
children 12 years ago
and interest in the Routemaster and its place as the last traditional type
open platform bus will never have been part of their curriculum of life.

GH

Old April 29th 19, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 04:55:33PM +0000, Marland wrote:

Looks a typical case of we shall ask the interested parties but then
disagree with their views and implement
what we want anyway.

Looks more like a case of asking interested parties who then didn't come
up with anything unexpected or which hadn't already thought of.

All principles of gravity are negated by fear
-- Cartoon Law IV
Old April 29th 19, 03:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 29/04/2019 12:52, David Cantrell wrote:
On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 04:55:33PM +0000, Marland wrote:

Looks a typical case of we shall ask the interested parties but then
disagree with their views and implement
what we want anyway.

Looks more like a case of asking interested parties who then didn't come
up with anything unexpected or which hadn't already thought of.

+1

(The more jaundiced authors of major con. docs. include a detail which
they expect to change/drop in response to comments to prove they do
listen. But not worth it for this minor matter.)

--
Robin