London Banter

-   -   Woolwich Ferry magnetic docking system (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17644-woolwich-ferry-magnetic-docking-system.html)

Basil Jet[_4_] April 29th 19 06:53 PM

Woolwich Ferry magnetic docking system

Apparently docking and undocking is slower than it used to be. I'm not
sure I understand what problem the new system is designed to solve,
unless it is now possible for the ferry to keep running in high winds
that would have closed the old one - but if that's the case, why don't
they only use the magnets when the winds are high, instead of slowing
down normal operation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U27fFJFJajM

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Grizzly Bear - 2007 - Friend

Recliner[_3_] April 29th 19 08:44 PM

Basil Jet wrote:

Apparently docking and undocking is slower than it used to be. I'm not
sure I understand what problem the new system is designed to solve,
unless it is now possible for the ferry to keep running in high winds
that would have closed the old one - but if that's the case, why don't
they only use the magnets when the winds are high, instead of slowing
down normal operation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U27fFJFJajM

I'd imagine the main benefit is the reduction in manpower required. Nobody
required on the dock to secure the lines.

Basil Jet[_4_] April 29th 19 10:13 PM

On 29/04/2019 21:44, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

Apparently docking and undocking is slower than it used to be. I'm not
sure I understand what problem the new system is designed to solve,
unless it is now possible for the ferry to keep running in high winds
that would have closed the old one - but if that's the case, why don't
they only use the magnets when the winds are high, instead of slowing
down normal operation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U27fFJFJajM

I'd imagine the main benefit is the reduction in manpower required. Nobody
required on the dock to secure the lines.

I never saw anyone do that. I thought they used to use the engines and
the weight of the ramp to keep the boat in place.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
The Dukes Of Stratosphear - 1985 - 25 O'Clock