Old July 1st 19, 12:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London pollution monitoring

In message , at 13:21:13 on Mon, 1 Jul 2019,
tim... remarked:

as I said, on level ground, Neutral works just as well

And as Roland correctly said, it's less safe.

for a tiny possibility

You should always have a
brake on when stationary.

so you say

I hope it would be a driving test failure not to have any brake on.

Old July 1st 19, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 13:21:13 on Mon, 1 Jul 2019,
tim... remarked:

as I said, on level ground, Neutral works just as well

And as Roland correctly said, it's less safe.

for a tiny possibility

You should always have a
brake on when stationary.

so you say

I hope it would be a driving test failure not to have any brake on.

and who drives as per the test 40 years later?

tim

Old July 1st 19, 02:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:06:20 on Mon, 1 Jul 2019,
tim... remarked:

as I said, on level ground, Neutral works just as well

And as Roland correctly said, it's less safe.

for a tiny possibility

You should always have a
brake on when stationary.

so you say

I hope it would be a driving test failure not to have any brake on.

and who drives as per the test 40 years later?

In an important safety matter such as this?
Old July 1st 19, 02:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 01/07/2019 13:21, tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 17:02:50 on Sun, 30 Jun
2019,
tim... remarked:

Even when I do select neutral I rarely put the hand brake on if the
road
is flat.Â* what's the point?

So you don't get pushed into whatever's in front, when someone
rear-ends

and how often does that happen

once in a million

It's still good practice. I put my car in Park at traffic lights.

An automatic?

Aren't there different considerations there?

Why?Â* It effectively puts the car in neutral and applies the brake, just
what I want.

there you go then

it applies the brake

the same thing doesn't happen in a manual, so any discussions about
whether it is actually *necessary* to apply the brake with a manual
can't be compared with what an auto does

No need
to use either foot or hand brake.

as I said, on level ground, Neutral works just as well

And as Roland correctly said, it's less safe.

for a tiny possibility

You should always have a
brake on when stationary.

so you say

So does every driving instructor. Easy test fail.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old July 1st 19, 02:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 15:06:20 on Mon, 1 Jul 2019,
tim... remarked:

as I said, on level ground, Neutral works just as well

And as Roland correctly said, it's less safe.

for a tiny possibility

You should always have a
brake on when stationary.

so you say

I hope it would be a driving test failure not to have any brake on.

and who drives as per the test 40 years later?

In an important safety matter such as this?

on the one in a million chance I'm going to be rear ended

get real

It's trivial compared to the number of times a week I might slip one or two
miles over the speed limit in a built up area

Or the number of times a week I see people jump the lights as they are
turning red. - I try not to do that, but now that I have moved much of my
travel to being a bus passenger I am amazed at the number of times the [1]
bus driver does this

tim

[1] that's not the same bus driver every time I use the bus, feel free to
correct my grammar here.

Old July 1st 19, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:47:20 on Mon, 1 Jul 2019,
tim... remarked:

I hope it would be a driving test failure not to have any brake on.

and who drives as per the test 40 years later?

In an important safety matter such as this?

on the one in a million chance I'm going to be rear ended

get real

Presumably you dislike seatbelts and air bags, because they are for
one-in-a-million trips as well?
Old July 1st 19, 03:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 01/07/2019 15:47, tim... wrote:

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 15:06:20 on Mon, 1 Jul
2019, tim... remarked:

as I said, on level ground, Neutral works just as well

And as Roland correctly said, it's less safe.

for a tiny possibility

You should always have a
brake on when stationary.

so you say

I hope it would be a driving test failure not to have any brake on.

and who drives as per the test 40 years later?

In an important safety matter such as this?

on the one in a million chance I'm going to be rear ended

get real

It's trivial compared to the number of times a week I might slip one or
two miles over the speed limit in a built up area

Or the number of times a week I see people jump the lights as they are
turning red.Â* -Â* I try not to do that, but now that I have moved much of
my travel to being a bus passenger I am amazed at the number of times
the [1] bus driver does this

So common is this now that there is good reason to suspect that TaL
bus-drivers have been informally advised that TaL will not prosecute
them for going through traffic lights within x seconds after the light
has turned red for the direction from which they were travelling.

Old July 1st 19, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 15:47:20 on Mon, 1 Jul 2019,
tim... remarked:

I hope it would be a driving test failure not to have any brake on.

and who drives as per the test 40 years later?

In an important safety matter such as this?

on the one in a million chance I'm going to be rear ended

get real

Presumably you dislike seatbelts and air bags, because they are for
one-in-a-million trips as well?

there are far more situations where these will be useful than the subject
under discussion

and it wasn't a million to one trips

it was a million to one stops

I suspect that there are a million seconds in the year when I might be hit
whilst moving, whereas a million incidents of stopping at a line takes a
lifetime (more or less)

tim

Old July 1st 19, 04:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:44:01 on Mon, 1 Jul 2019,
tim... remarked:
I hope it would be a driving test failure not to have any brake on.

and who drives as per the test 40 years later?

In an important safety matter such as this?

on the one in a million chance I'm going to be rear ended

get real

Presumably you dislike seatbelts and air bags, because they are for
one-in-a-million trips as well?

there are far more situations where these will be useful than the
subject under discussion

and it wasn't a million to one trips

it was a million to one stops

I suspect that there are a million seconds in the year when I might be
hit whilst moving, whereas a million incidents of stopping at a line
takes a lifetime (more or less)

We'll have to agree to disagree about your risk analysis.
Old July 2nd 19, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:44:01 on Mon, 1 Jul 2019,
tim... remarked:
I hope it would be a driving test failure not to have any brake on.

and who drives as per the test 40 years later?

In an important safety matter such as this?

on the one in a million chance I'm going to be rear ended

get real

Presumably you dislike seatbelts and air bags, because they are for
one-in-a-million trips as well?

there are far more situations where these will be useful than the
subject under discussion

and it wasn't a million to one trips

it was a million to one stops

I suspect that there are a million seconds in the year when I might be
hit whilst moving, whereas a million incidents of stopping at a line
takes a lifetime (more or less)

We'll have to agree to disagree about your risk analysis.

Even with the handbrake on I got rammed hard enough to also incur damage
between the vehicle I was in and to the one in front.
Fortunately it was a company car so once the situation was clear other
people whose job it was handled the insurance claims and counterclaims. It
took ages and apart from answering the odd question to confirm something
or that I was standing by my original statement I was glad not to be
involved.
If applying a parking brake halves that issue in many cases then it is well
worth while doing, isn’t just a case of pressing a button or switch on many
vehicles now? Don’t even have to physically pull a lever on those.

When Southampton still had a cross channel ferry service I saw the
aftermath of an incident where there had been a 3 car shunt, you could tell
they had just come off the ferry as the first vehicle was French registered
the middle Spanish and the third Belgian.
A copper was trying to sort things out and was on the receiving end of
excited continentals all shouting their version of events in their language
, he wore a very “ why did this happen on my watch “ expression.

I expect the insurance payouts took a while to get sorted .

GH