Old July 3rd 19, 11:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London pollution monitoring

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 10:30:55 on Wed, 3 Jul 2019,
tim... remarked:

some years ago I bought a 10 YO Fiesta Ghia

It was less well speced than the then-current GL model

but because it was a "Ghia" was in a higher insurance group

The model is a proxy for the demographic of the people who tend to buy
them, and your insurance company had decided that on balance people buying
the Ghia were worse drivers than those buying the GL. They'll have some
stats to back that up, of course.

New perhaps

10 years old, you just get what's available that week

(that how I ended up with the Micra)

tim

Old July 3rd 19, 11:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 10:27:58 on Wed, 3 Jul 2019,
tim... remarked:

I sincerely hope that less of this technology gets into cars, because
it's OK when it works, and disastrous when it doesn't.

I've just scrapped a perfectly servable car because some peripheral
electronic component failed and cost more to repair that the car is worth

I've been there - a $10 part that the main dealer charges £1000 to fit,
and because it was 'electronically keyed' to the engine, independents
can't do it. Another common issue is engine management systems giving up
the ghost, and costing more to buy a new one than the car is worth.

It was a sensor

probably no more than 5 pounds in value

but the inaccessibility of it - 500 pounds to fit, please!

Or not!!!

tim

Old July 3rd 19, 12:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:30:35 on Wed, 3 Jul 2019,
tim... remarked:

some years ago I bought a 10 YO Fiesta Ghia

It was less well speced than the then-current GL model

but because it was a "Ghia" was in a higher insurance group

The model is a proxy for the demographic of the people who tend to
buy them, and your insurance company had decided that on balance
people buying the Ghia were worse drivers than those buying the GL.
They'll have some stats to back that up, of course.

New perhaps

10 years old, you just get what's available that week

(that how I ended up with the Micra)

Their stats must show that the effect doesn't completely wear off, for
the average buyer (which I doubt anyone will accuse you of being).
Old July 4th 19, 09:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 02/07/2019 17:00, Marland wrote:

I expect the insurance payouts took a while to get sorted .

Motorists in all three countries mentioned carry a "Constat Aimable",
which is almost entirely graphic, and lets the insurance companies work
out who owes how much to whom quite quickly and easily.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old July 4th 19, 09:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Williamson wrote:
On 02/07/2019 17:00, Marland wrote:

I expect the insurance payouts took a while to get sorted .

Motorists in all three countries mentioned carry a "Constat Aimable",
which is almost entirely graphic, and lets the insurance companies work
out who owes how much to whom quite quickly and easily.

Sounds sensible, would it have been around in the 1980’s and more pertinent
perhaps would it have been known about by the British Policeman surveying
the scene in the 4th county mentioned ?
If not perhaps his attempts to sort things out was making things worse and
he would have been better to let them get on with it.

GH

Old July 4th 19, 10:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/07/2019 21:39, Marland wrote:

Sounds sensible, would it have been around in the 1980’s and more pertinent
perhaps would it have been known about by the British Policeman surveying
the scene in the 4th county mentioned ?
If not perhaps his attempts to sort things out was making things worse and
he would have been better to let them get on with it.

GH

I can't remember a time when I've not carried one in mainland Europe,
but I only started driving there professionally in the mid 1980s.

It may well have been better for the policeman to leave well alone, but
if there were problems being caused for other road users, he'd be bound
to do his best to sort it out.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old July 6th 19, 02:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 01/07/2019 08:40, Recliner wrote:
In my car, the parking brake is also automatic. It's applied whenever you
stop, and released automatically when you're out of P mode. The doors lock
as soon as you start moving.

So how are you supposed to drive it off a cliff and escape at the last
moment?

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Banyan - 1997 - Banyan