Old May 24th 19, 05:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default 717s skipping stops

For the 2nd time I've now been on 717 out of Moorgate and for the 2nd time
it skipped Old Street and Essex road. Anyone know if this is to do with the
sighting issues that have been mentioned or there some other problem at these
stations wrt these trains?

Old May 24th 19, 08:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
For the 2nd time I've now been on 717 out of Moorgate and for the 2nd time
it skipped Old Street and Essex road. Anyone know if this is to do with the
sighting issues that have been mentioned or there some other problem at these
stations wrt these trains?

I know they currently need a second driver in the cab at some stations till
the signals are relocated. Perhaps, in the absence of said second pair of
eyes, they have to skip such stations?

Old May 25th 19, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 24 May 2019 20:30:04 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
For the 2nd time I've now been on 717 out of Moorgate and for the 2nd time
it skipped Old Street and Essex road. Anyone know if this is to do with the
sighting issues that have been mentioned or there some other problem at these

stations wrt these trains?

I know they currently need a second driver in the cab at some stations till
the signals are relocated. Perhaps, in the absence of said second pair of
eyes, they have to skip such stations?

Sounds plausible. Suits me though - saves 5 mins on the journey!

Old May 25th 19, 10:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
For the 2nd time I've now been on 717 out of Moorgate and for the 2nd time
it skipped Old Street and Essex road. Anyone know if this is to do with the
sighting issues that have been mentioned or there some other problem at these

stations wrt these trains?

I know they currently need a second driver in the cab at some stations till
the signals are relocated. Perhaps, in the absence of said second pair of
eyes, they have to skip such stations?

Sounds plausible. Suits me though - saves 5 mins on the journey!

Do they warn in advance that the stops will be skipped? That might confirm
the theory.

Old May 25th 19, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
For the 2nd time I've now been on 717 out of Moorgate and for the 2nd time
it skipped Old Street and Essex road. Anyone know if this is to do with the

sighting issues that have been mentioned or there some other problem at

these

stations wrt these trains?

I know they currently need a second driver in the cab at some stations till
the signals are relocated. Perhaps, in the absence of said second pair of
eyes, they have to skip such stations?

Sounds plausible. Suits me though - saves 5 mins on the journey!

Do they warn in advance that the stops will be skipped? That might confirm
the theory.

They do. Followed shortly after by people rushing off the train.

Old May 25th 19, 02:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
For the 2nd time I've now been on 717 out of Moorgate and for the 2nd time
it skipped Old Street and Essex road. Anyone know if this is to do with the

sighting issues that have been mentioned or there some other problem at

these

stations wrt these trains?

I know they currently need a second driver in the cab at some stations till
the signals are relocated. Perhaps, in the absence of said second pair of
eyes, they have to skip such stations?

Sounds plausible. Suits me though - saves 5 mins on the journey!

Do they warn in advance that the stops will be skipped? That might confirm
the theory.

They do. Followed shortly after by people rushing off the train.

Are these scheduled trains, or are they untimetabled extras going to
Gordon Hill? If I showed up at Old Street for an infrequent service to
Bayford and saw it flying through the station I wouldn't be impressed,
particularly if I'd just let a few trains go because they weren't
calling at Bayford.

Incidentally, Watton-At-Stone now has practically no trains to Stevenage
on Monday to Fridays. The GBNRTT gives no hint of replacement bus times.
There are no shortage of electric trains sitting around unused that
could run an hourly shuttle from Watton to Knebworth, but they can't be
arsed.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Pere Ubu - 1991 - Worlds In Collision
Old May 25th 19, 02:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 25 May 2019 12:38:47 +0100
Recliner wrote:
On Sat, 25 May 2019 10:54:26 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:
They do. Followed shortly after by people rushing off the train.

Yes, that seems to confirm it. I suppose that the other possibility is
that they're some sort of express skip-stop service, that would suit
travellers such as you, but I guess that they'd then be branded and
promoted as such.

That would probably be a first on that section of line.

This story provides a bit more info, but doesn't actually answer the
question:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-cab-drivers-
window-passengers-danger.html

Looking at the cab photos it does look rather overcrowded and its fairly
obvious why the drivers view is restricted. But they really should have
thought of this during the design. I wonder if a mirror at a suitable angle on
the left of the drivers window that could be folded away when above ground
would help them see the signals?

Old May 25th 19, 02:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sat, 25 May 2019 15:26:41 +0100
Basil Jet wrote:
On 25/05/2019 11:54, wrote:
They do. Followed shortly after by people rushing off the train.

Are these scheduled trains, or are they untimetabled extras going to
Gordon Hill? If I showed up at Old Street for an infrequent service to

The train was going to gordon hill but whether it was timetabled or not I
couldn't say.

Old May 25th 19, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 15:26:41 on Sat, 25 May
2019, Basil Jet remarked:

Incidentally, Watton-At-Stone now has practically no trains to
Stevenage on Monday to Fridays. The GBNRTT gives no hint of replacement
bus times.

There's long term engineering works near Stevenage, and I think the
replacement buses run "on demand".

There are no shortage of electric trains sitting around unused that
could run an hourly shuttle from Watton to Knebworth,

Wouldn't that involve a reversal at Stevenage?

but they can't be arsed.

Or the track's not available.

Too many bus stops in london? Boltar London Transport 35 November 23rd 04 08:48 PM
Letters at bus stops Jonn Elledge London Transport 8 September 10th 04 05:42 PM
Curious extra station stops on Southern's Watford-Brighton service LarryLard London Transport 5 July 3rd 04 10:34 AM
Taxi "stops" Gooner London Transport 3 December 22nd 03 06:53 PM
photos of old/closed tube stops j London Transport 7 October 23rd 03 10:20 AM