Old May 25th 19, 10:01 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default class 710 first day

wrote:
A couple of photos of the first day of 710s on the GOBLIN, 23 May:

710261 at Upper Holloway:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/605390...posted-public/

710269 at Harringay Green Lanes:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/605390...posted-public/

The 378s will continue for a while: here's one at South Tottenham:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/605390...posted-public/

I think the new trains look much smarter, but it's a pity that the seats
haven't been improved to, say, even S stock standards, let alone the much
higher standards that prevailed in the 1970s.

I'm curious why only two 710s were introduced yesterday. There are several
more sitting in Willesden, and there's been ample time to update their
software. Could it be that not enough drivers have qualified on them yet?

Old May 25th 19, 10:52 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Patrick Hearn wrote:
On Saturday, May 25, 2019 at 10:01:17 AM UTC+1, Recliner wrote:
wrote:
A couple of photos of the first day of 710s on the GOBLIN, 23 May:

710261 at Upper Holloway:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/605390...posted-public/

710269 at Harringay Green Lanes:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/605390...posted-public/

The 378s will continue for a while: here's one at South Tottenham:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/605390...posted-public/

I think the new trains look much smarter, but it's a pity that the seats
haven't been improved to, say, even S stock standards, let alone the much
higher standards that prevailed in the 1970s.

I'm curious why only two 710s were introduced yesterday. There are several
more sitting in Willesden, and there's been ample time to update their
software. Could it be that not enough drivers have qualified on them yet?

Resilience, possibly? New trains with new software, it might make sense
to bed them down in service?

Perhaps, though they've been test running them for many months, both off
and on the Goblin. They were given ORR authority to enter service on April
11, so about six weeks before they did, finally, carry passengers. One
would have thought that several could have been accumulating mileage during
that time. Perhaps only two did so without problems?

As this soft introduction was without fanfare, I suppose it was still a bit
tentative, so perhaps they still don't have much faith in the new trains?

Old May 28th 19, 01:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Recliner wrote:
I'm curious why only two 710s were introduced yesterday. There are several
more sitting in Willesden, and there's been ample time to update their
software. Could it be that not enough drivers have qualified on them yet?

Lack of driver training is the reason I heard. It suprises me, as
with only 6 trains required for the service, I'd expect you to need
no more than 30 drivers trained on the new trains - and Geoff's 710
intro video said that there were 70 drivers trained.

So either the problem isn't driver training, or my guess as to how
many drivers would be required is wrong.

Cheers,
Mike

--
Mike Bristow

Old May 28th 19, 03:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 28 May 2019 13:56:28 +0100
Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
Recliner wrote:
I'm curious why only two 710s were introduced yesterday. There are several
more sitting in Willesden, and there's been ample time to update their
software. Could it be that not enough drivers have qualified on them yet?

Lack of driver training is the reason I heard. It suprises me, as
with only 6 trains required for the service, I'd expect you to need
no more than 30 drivers trained on the new trains - and Geoff's 710
intro video said that there were 70 drivers trained.

Are these drivers driving 378s on the NLL in the interim or are they being paid
to just sit at home and watch Cash in the Attic like the crossrail ones?

Old June 1st 19, 11:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

TimB wrote:
On Saturday, June 1, 2019 at 11:06:35 AM UTC+1, Recliner wrote:
Mike Bristow wrote:
["Followup-To:" header set to uk.transport.london.]
In article ,
wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2019 13:56:28 +0100
Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
Recliner wrote:
I'm curious why only two 710s were introduced yesterday. There are several
more sitting in Willesden, and there's been ample time to update their
software. Could it be that not enough drivers have qualified on them yet?

Lack of driver training is the reason I heard. It suprises me, as
with only 6 trains required for the service, I'd expect you to need
no more than 30 drivers trained on the new trains - and Geoff's 710
intro video said that there were 70 drivers trained.

Are these drivers driving 378s on the NLL in the interim or are they being paid
to just sit at home and watch Cash in the Attic like the crossrail ones?

They cover the NLL too, according to the video.

Having now watched Geoff's video, I was surprised just how many drivers
need to be trained in order to operate the six 710 diagrams.

Not just for the Goblin.

The six diagrams are just for the Goblin. The 710s aren't being deployed to
other lines until the Goblin is fully switched over to 710s.

Basically, the Goblin doesn't have its own driver pool, so all the hundreds
of Stratford drivers need to be trained on 710s, which takes quite a while,
even running three courses a day, seven days a week.

Old June 2nd 19, 09:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2019 13:56:28 +0100
Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
Recliner wrote:
[...]

Seems a bit excessive. Surely they could just select a subsection of them
to train on the 710s.

Old June 3rd 19, 10:07 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2019 13:56:28 +0100
Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
Recliner wrote:
[...]

I’m sure you’d be among the first to complain when a train is cancelled
because all of the trained drivers are either being used or unavailable,
while drivers not trained on 710s are available.

I’d imagine that over time, all appropriate drivers will be trained. For
the beginning of service, "sufficient" drivers will be trained and shifts,
diagrams etc juggled to cover the service. As steadily more drivers are
trained, the job of rostering/resourcing to cover the service becomes
easier.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old June 3rd 19, 10:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 09:07:46 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
Seems a bit excessive. Surely they could just select a subsection of them
to train on the 710s.

I’m sure you’d be among the first to complain when a train is cancelled
because all of the trained drivers are either being used or unavailable,
while drivers not trained on 710s are available.

Thats just down to rostering. Do you think every pilot in every airline is
trained on every single type of plane they fly?

Quite why different trains require in depth training anyway is a mystery to me.
They only go forwards and backwards. And afternoon to learn the controls and
where the fuses are, done.