Old September 1st 19, 01:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Pumping useful heat out of the Tube

On 01/09/2019 13:11, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:53:52 on Sun, 1 Sep 2019,
Graeme Wall remarked:

Â*Train station is an Americanism. Next you'll be wanting me to drop
the uÂ* from colour, armour and similar words. No thanks.

Actually train station appears to be a tabloidism, railroad stations
and/or depots seem to be the preferred nomenclature across the pond.

Indeed. It's a British thing, falling into step (oops, I nearly said 'in
line') with Bus Station.

Hence the saying, bus stations are where buses stop, train stations are
where trains stop, work stations…

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old September 1st 19, 01:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 01/09/2019 14:05, Peter Able wrote:
On 01/09/2019 12:41, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 31/08/2019 23:36, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , MissRiaElaine
writes

So why do all the roundel signs say Underground..? That's what it's
been known as my whole life and I was born in London even though I
don't live there any more.

Next time you're in London get a map, it's called the TUBE map.

It is now, because some idiot decided to change the name. All the old
maps I saved from my childhood say Underground.

Save toner and breath - and call it LT.Â* That was how it was 50 years
ago when I worked for, LT.

Wasn't it LRT for about 15 minutes in the 80s?

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old September 1st 19, 02:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 01/09/2019 14:25, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 01/09/2019 14:05, Peter Able wrote:
On 01/09/2019 12:41, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 31/08/2019 23:36, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , MissRiaElaine
writes

So why do all the roundel signs say Underground..? That's what it's
been known as my whole life and I was born in London even though I
don't live there any more.

Next time you're in London get a map, it's called the TUBE map.

It is now, because some idiot decided to change the name. All the old
maps I saved from my childhood say Underground.

Save toner and breath - and call it LT.Â* That was how it was 50 years
ago when I worked for, LT.

Wasn't it LRT for about 15 minutes in the 80s?

It was indeed. LRT was all part of Mrs. Thatcher's beating up the GLC,
all LT operations moving from the GLC to the Secretary of State for
Transport. Two years later, she extended the battle - sacking the GLC
entirely.

But that was well after my time with LT. Just for the OP, morale was
sky-high in those days. Staff were proud to be with LT - and I don't
remember any circumstances that there was ambiguity. I started at
Chiswick Works which was primarily LT Buses, but did do things like
paint tests for both rail and road IIRC. Lots of painted panes on the
flat roof of a building - 500 shades of red! On the engineering side
everyone was so proud of the A-stock and, being Chiswick, the RMs in
particular - though I never saw one on the skid pad - I wonder why?

I was in hospital for a colonoscopy this morning - but my spirits were
well and truly raised by a bunch of bus enthusiasts marshalling RM(L)s
and an SM(?) outside the endoscopy ward !

PA

Old September 1st 19, 02:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 1 Sep 2019 14:05:50 +0100, Peter Able wrote:

On 01/09/2019 12:41, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 31/08/2019 23:36, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , MissRiaElaine
writes

So why do all the roundel signs say Underground..? That's what it's
been known as my whole life and I was born in London even though I
don't live there any more.

Next time you're in London get a map, it's called the TUBE map.

It is now, because some idiot decided to change the name. All the old
maps I saved from my childhood say Underground.

Save toner and breath - and call it LT. That was how it was 50 years
ago when I worked for, LT.

LU, surely? LT includes more than the Underground.
Old September 1st 19, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 1 Sep 2019 15:09:35 +0100
Peter Able wrote:
[...]

I never understood the change from L(R)T to TfL? What exactly did all the
office shuffling and rebranding achieve other than keeping some civil servants
in work? Transport For London is an unwieldy ugly name that sounds more like a
lobbying group than a large public transport organisation.

Old September 1st 19, 02:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 01 Sep 2019 14:05:01 +0100
Billy No Mates Always On His Own Billy No Mates Always On His Own.usenet@gmail.
com wrote:
On Sun, 1 Sep 2019 12:41:40 +0100, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

On 31/08/2019 23:36, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , MissRiaElaine
writes

So why do all the roundel signs say Underground..? That's what it's
been known as my whole life and I was born in London even though I
don't live there any more.

Next time you're in London get a map, it's called the TUBE map.

It is now, because some idiot decided to change the name. All the old
maps I saved from my childhood say Underground.

Guess what, there also wasn't a London Overground when you were a
child, even though those same railway lines existed then.

Most of of the Overground is little more than a cynical rebranding exercise.
The only new section is the ELLX and the service on it is a long way short of
being metro service standard. Late trains, large gaps in the service in rush
hour, trains skipping stations, pointlessly slow speeds and acceleration, you
name it, its got it. If you want a nice scenic trip around hipsterville then
its great, if you want to get somewhere quickly then use the tube.

Old September 1st 19, 02:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 01/09/2019 15:32, Recliner wrote:
On Sun, 1 Sep 2019 14:05:50 +0100, Peter Able wrote:

On 01/09/2019 12:41, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 31/08/2019 23:36, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , MissRiaElaine
writes

So why do all the roundel signs say Underground..? That's what it's
been known as my whole life and I was born in London even though I
don't live there any more.

Next time you're in London get a map, it's called the TUBE map.

It is now, because some idiot decided to change the name. All the old
maps I saved from my childhood say Underground.

Save toner and breath - and call it LT. That was how it was 50 years
ago when I worked for, LT.

LU, surely? LT includes more than the Underground.

Not 50 years ago - and as I explained (shame on you for quoting
selectively) it strengthened morale and never led to ambiguity. LU
sounds like where that morale got flushed down by the "image fetishists"
I never remember seeing an intending rail passenger waiting for that
train at a bus stop - or vice-versa.

Of course, that doesn't mean it never happened...

PA

Old September 1st 19, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Able wrote:
On 01/09/2019 15:32, Recliner wrote:
On Sun, 1 Sep 2019 14:05:50 +0100, Peter Able wrote:

On 01/09/2019 12:41, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 31/08/2019 23:36, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , MissRiaElaine
writes

So why do all the roundel signs say Underground..? That's what it's
been known as my whole life and I was born in London even though I
don't live there any more.

Next time you're in London get a map, it's called the TUBE map.

It is now, because some idiot decided to change the name. All the old
maps I saved from my childhood say Underground.

Save toner and breath - and call it LT. That was how it was 50 years
ago when I worked for, LT.

LU, surely? LT includes more than the Underground.

Not 50 years ago

Was LT only the Underground back then? I thought it included the buses. If
not, what was the umbrella organisation called?

- and as I explained (shame on you for quoting
selectively)

But I didn't. I quoted your whole post. Shame on you for thinking I'm
Roland!

Old September 1st 19, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 01/09/2019 15:33, wrote:
On Sun, 1 Sep 2019 15:09:35 +0100
Peter Able wrote:
On 01/09/2019 14:25, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 01/09/2019 14:05, Peter Able wrote:
On 01/09/2019 12:41, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 31/08/2019 23:36, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , MissRiaElaine
writes

So why do all the roundel signs say Underground..? That's what it's
been known as my whole life and I was born in London even though I
don't live there any more.

Next time you're in London get a map, it's called the TUBE map.

It is now, because some idiot decided to change the name. All the old
maps I saved from my childhood say Underground.

Save toner and breath - and call it LT.ÂÂ* That was how it was 50 years
ago when I worked for, LT.

Wasn't it LRT for about 15 minutes in the 80s?

It was indeed. LRT was all part of Mrs. Thatcher's beating up the GLC,
all LT operations moving from the GLC to the Secretary of State for
Transport. Two years later, she extended the battle - sacking the GLC
entirely.

I never understood the change from L(R)T to TfL? What exactly did all the
office shuffling and rebranding achieve other than keeping some civil servants
in work? Transport For London is an unwieldy ugly name that sounds more like a
lobbying group than a large public transport organisation.

Image fetishism - commonplace since the 1980s. The good idea of
co-ordinated transport in London started off with the clumsy LPTB. The
nationwide expansion lead to the improved LTE, but the minimal LT, I
think, was the true "fit for function" name. Then "Brand advisers"
started "improving" things.

Huh!

PA
Old September 1st 19, 03:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Recliner
writes
Peter Able wrote:
[...]

As far as I recall LPTB was the umbrella organisation for London Buses
Tube and trams etc. from the 1920s

On Transport Nationalisation in 1948 this became LTE (London Country
Buses & Green Line Buses were excluded)

Might be wrong.

OT I wonder who prefer calling buses Omnibuses their original name.