Old September 1st 19, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Pumping useful heat out of the Tube

On 01/09/2019 19:00, Marland wrote:

Anyhow if it wasn’t for American influence the Underground would not have
developed in the way in it did.
Do you object to them calling the vehicles cars instead of coaches for
instance.

No, but I do object to people who call coaches buses. They are quite
different.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 1st 19, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 01/09/2019 19:00, Marland wrote:

Anyhow if it wasn’t for American influence the Underground would not have
developed in the way in it did.
Do you object to them calling the vehicles cars instead of coaches for
instance.

No, but I do object to people who call coaches buses. They are quite
different.

Isn't a coach just a type of bus? So all coaches are buses, but most
buses aren't coaches.

Old September 1st 19, 09:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 31/08/2019 17:25, MissRiaElaine wrote:

How many more times..? It's the *UNDERGROUND* not the "Tube"
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRR..!!!!!!!!!

I'll ask the people in the 10 items or less queue at the supermarket
near St Pancreas train station (where the Eurotunnel goes from). Or
maybe the Queen of England should give a ruling, so we can post the
answer here on the web. Anyway, once we have left Europe, we can call it
anything we want.

PS my grandfather drove the Flying Scotsman.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old September 1st 19, 09:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 01/09/2019 22:26, Recliner wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 01/09/2019 19:00, Marland wrote:

Anyhow if it wasn’t for American influence the Underground would not have
developed in the way in it did.
Do you object to them calling the vehicles cars instead of coaches for
instance.

No, but I do object to people who call coaches buses. They are quite
different.

Isn't a coach just a type of bus? So all coaches are buses, but most
buses aren't coaches.

Isn't coach a type of aeroplane seat?

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old September 1st 19, 10:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Recliner
writes
Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , Recliner
writes
Peter Able wrote:
On 01/09/2019 15:32, Recliner wrote:
On Sun, 1 Sep 2019 14:05:50 +0100, Peter Able wrote:

On 01/09/2019 12:41, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 31/08/2019 23:36, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , MissRiaElaine
writes

So why do all the roundel signs say Underground..? That's what it's
been known as my whole life and I was born in London even though I
don't live there any more.

Next time you're in London get a map, it's called the TUBE map.

It is now, because some idiot decided to change the name. All the old
maps I saved from my childhood say Underground.

Save toner and breath - and call it LT. That was how it was 50 years
ago when I worked for, LT.

LU, surely? LT includes more than the Underground.

Not 50 years ago

Was LT only the Underground back then? I thought it included the buses. If
not, what was the umbrella organisation called?

As far as I recall LPTB was the umbrella organisation for London Buses
Tube and trams etc. from the 1920s

On Transport Nationalisation in 1948 this became LTE (London Country
Buses & Green Line Buses were excluded)

Might be wrong.

Assuming you're right, and LTE is indeed the parent organisation, what were
the underground railways and buses parts called?

OT I wonder who prefer calling buses Omnibuses their original name.

Yes, I wondered that too. Of course, you still occasionally hear people
talking about charabancs.

The name derives from the French char à bancs ("carriage with wooden
benches"), the vehicle having originated in France in the early 19th
century.

Not many of those left
--
Bryan Morris

Old September 1st 19, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , MissRiaElaine
writes
On 01/09/2019 19:00, Marland wrote:

Anyhow if it wasn’t for American influence the Underground would not have
developed in the way in it did.
Do you object to them calling the vehicles cars instead of coaches for
instance.

No, but I do object to people who call coaches buses. They are quite
different.

A coach is simply a single decker bus.
--
Bryan Morris
Old September 1st 19, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , MissRiaElaine
writes
On 01/09/2019 19:00, Marland wrote:

Anyhow if it wasn’t for American influence the Underground would not have
developed in the way in it did.
Do you object to them calling the vehicles cars instead of coaches for
instance.

No, but I do object to people who call coaches buses. They are quite
different.

A coach is simply a single decker bus.

..5 seconds on the web finds plenty of operators of double deck coaches
though this was first hit ,

https://www.procterscoaches.com/the-...double-decker/

so that it is pretty poor attempt to define one.

And it is not a recent innovation that we have had double deck deck
coaches in the UK,National Express were using them decades ago , stopped
using them after an accident and reintroduced a small number a few years
back.

GH

Old September 1st 19, 10:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 01/09/2019 19:00, Marland wrote:

Anyhow if it wasn’t for American influence the Underground would not have
developed in the way in it did.
Do you object to them calling the vehicles cars instead of coaches for
instance.

No, but I do object to people who call coaches buses. They are quite
different.

Isn't a coach just a type of bus? So all coaches are buses, but most
buses aren't coaches.

Isn't coach a type of aeroplane seat?

In America. We call it Economy, or Y for short.

Old September 1st 19, 11:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Marland wrote:
Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , MissRiaElaine
writes
On 01/09/2019 19:00, Marland wrote:

Anyhow if it wasn’t for American influence the Underground would not have
developed in the way in it did.
Do you object to them calling the vehicles cars instead of coaches for
instance.

No, but I do object to people who call coaches buses. They are quite
different.

A coach is simply a single decker bus.

.5 seconds on the web finds plenty of operators of double deck coaches
though this was first hit ,

https://www.procterscoaches.com/the-...double-decker/

so that it is pretty poor attempt to define one.

And it is not a recent innovation that we have had double deck deck
coaches in the UK,National Express were using them decades ago , stopped
using them after an accident and reintroduced a small number a few years
back.

Isn't a coach simply a bus with lots of secure luggage space (normally
under the floor) and capable of cruising at motorway speeds (ie, ≥100 km/h)
all day?

These days, it would also have seat belts, aircon and quite possibly a
toilet and refreshments. It might also have overhead luggage racks and some
sort of AV system.

Old September 1st 19, 11:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Recliner
writes
Marland wrote:
Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , MissRiaElaine
writes
[...]

BEA / BOAC used double deck coaches mainly for luggage on the lower deck
whilst passengers mainly sat upstairs (diverging I remember when
downstairs a bus was called "inside" as opposed to "outside" for
upstairs)

But public transport coaches are often referred to as single decker
buses. In fact see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-deck_bus .
Whilst not exclusively British, double deckers are rare in many
countries.
--
Bryan Morris