London Banter

-   -   Northern Line goes south (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17682-northern-line-goes-south.html)

MissRiaElaine September 8th 19 05:59 PM

Northern Line goes south

On 08/09/2019 17:55, Basil Jet wrote:

I'm a Ukip member, and I'm laughing at you.

Laugh away, why should that bother me..?

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Recliner[_4_] September 8th 19 07:14 PM

Northern Line goes south

Basil Jet wrote:
On 08/09/2019 17:35, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 08/09/2019 15:38, Recliner wrote:
On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 14:58:02 +0100, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

Always assuming the tech works. A light bulb is about as simple as you
can get. Imagine if they tried the same on the roads..!

Incandescent light bulbs have a short life and need frequent
replacement. The light is also not consistent, dimming and getting
more yellow over time. LED arrays are far better. But in railway
terms, no lineside signals at all is better still.

I disagree. How is someone working trackside supposed to know whether a
train is signalled or not..?

An app on their phone or iPad tells them. Various platforms have
signalling diagram monitors which provide this info to platform staff,
and no tungsten filaments were electrocuted in the making of this image.

I will resist metrication till my dying day.

I'm a Ukip member, and I'm laughing at you.

Ah, you're the member?

[email protected] September 8th 19 07:32 PM

Northern Line goes south

On 7 Sep 2019 23:04:09 GMT
Marland wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 07/09/2019 20:51, tim... wrote:

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message
On 07/09/2019 16:19, wrote:

Didnt you know you can't criticise TfL or any of its subsidiaries on
this
group since they're absolutely beyond reproach and any issues are the
fault of
the passenger.

Bring back London Transport (and British Rail for that matter).

bring back paper timetables

Indeed. And proper signals (semaphore would be nice, but colour light
signals with actual light bulbs would be ok.) LED signals are like LED
street lights, in other words HORRIBLE.

With the Underground gradually being reequipped with new signalling systems
and trains with in cab displays
are there going to be signals with LEDs to worry about in a few years.

And what a success they've been last week. Northern line completely dead on
monday due to total signalling failure and constant delays and cancellations
on the Met while they bed in the new system.

[email protected] September 8th 19 07:35 PM

Northern Line goes south

On Sat, 7 Sep 2019 23:33:20 -0000 (UTC)
Billy No Mates Always On His Own Billy No Mates Always On His Own.usenet@gmail.
com wrote:
Marland wrote:

On 07/09/2019 16:19, wrote:

Didnt you know you can't criticise TfL or any of its subsidiaries on
this
group since they're absolutely beyond reproach and any issues are the
fault of
the passenger.

Bring back London Transport (and British Rail for that matter).

bring back paper timetables

Indeed. And proper signals (semaphore would be nice, but colour light
signals with actual light bulbs would be ok.) LED signals are like LED
street lights, in other words HORRIBLE.

With the Underground gradually being reequipped with new signalling systems
and trains with in cab displays
are there going to be signals with LEDs to worry about in a few years.

Haven't those on five lines already gone? And, of course, the DLR never
had them.

And in typical TfL fashion the systems are all incompatible with each other.
I bet the signalling engineers have been paid overtime trying to get the new
Met system to play nice with the jubilee system. And of course the piccadilly
will be redone in the next decade which no doubt TfL will make sure bears no
resemblence to anything on the district or met just to make the shared track
sections are an unreliable nightmare.

Basil Jet[_4_] September 8th 19 07:58 PM

Northern Line goes south

wrote:

Always assuming the tech works. A light bulb is about as simple as you
can get. Imagine if they tried the same on the roads..!

Incandescent light bulbs have a short life and need frequent
replacement. The light is also not consistent, dimming and getting
more yellow over time. LED arrays are far better. But in railway
terms, no lineside signals at all is better still.

I disagree. How is someone working trackside supposed to know whether a
train is signalled or not..?

An app on their phone or iPad tells them. Various platforms have
signalling diagram monitors which provide this info to platform staff,
and no tungsten filaments were electrocuted in the making of this image.

I will resist metrication till my dying day.

I'm a Ukip member, and I'm laughing at you.

Ah, you're the member?

People called me that even before I joined.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
His Clancyness - 2010 - Always Mist Revisited

Marland September 8th 19 09:58 PM

Northern Line goes south

MissRiaElaine wrote:

Bring back London Transport (and British Rail for that matter).

And stop talking in metric, last time I checked we used MILES in this
country. At least that's what's on the dial of every car speedometer
I've seen lately.

Many vehicles have a dial that shows both or a display that can be
switched.

It was London Transport which recalculated its route measurements to
Kilometres back in 1972 .
Ironically they chose Ongar as the 0 datum which means their measurements
start on a line that was closed
and is now no longer theirs

The old measurements as miles and chains sometimes had oddities due to the
different paths of ownership some sections had passed through over the
years , eg Richmond to site of Studland Road junction were measured from
Waterloo due to the former LSWR then Southern Railway ownership of that
section.

You will be pleased that the Underground still use mph for speed
indications though and even the S stock speed indication is in MPH.
Hopefully they won’t change it or they will be wanting to tow the whole
lot back to Derby again to change it.

GH

Roland Perry September 9th 19 05:49 AM

Northern Line goes south

In message , at 21:58:14 on Sun, 8 Sep
2019, Marland remarked:
MissRiaElaine wrote:

Bring back London Transport (and British Rail for that matter).

And stop talking in metric, last time I checked we used MILES in this
country. At least that's what's on the dial of every car speedometer
I've seen lately.

Many vehicles have a dial that shows both or a display that can be
switched.

It was London Transport which recalculated its route measurements to
Kilometres back in 1972 .
Ironically they chose Ongar as the 0 datum

I think they chose Ongar because it was the furthest east.

which means their measurements start on a line that was closed and is
now no longer theirs

It's not the only disappeared datum. Road miles from London were
measured from the Post Office near St Pauls (the tube station used to be
called "Post Office") because postage was originally calculated by the
mile.

The site is now occupied by a merchant bank, and the A1 no longer goes
to the door, but has only been truncated by a few hundred yards.

Marland September 9th 19 08:25 AM

Northern Line goes south

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 21:58:14 on Sun, 8 Sep
2019, Marland remarked:

It was London Transport which recalculated its route measurements to
Kilometres back in 1972 .
Ironically they chose Ongar as the 0 datum

I think they chose Ongar because it was the furthest east.

which means their measurements start on a line that was closed and is
now no longer theirs

It's not the only disappeared datum. Road miles from London were
measured from the Post Office near St Pauls (the tube station used to be
called "Post Office") because postage was originally calculated by the
mile.

Hmm, I always thought it was where the original Charing Cross was located.

I could see the Post Office might have used its own datum for postage from
its own main London premises for its own purposes but the Post Office
premises you mention were not constructed until the early 19th Century and
many milestones would have been put in place before that by the Turnpike
Trusts who were required to do so.

Perhaps someone else can adjudicate.

GH

Basil Jet[_4_] September 9th 19 09:06 AM

Northern Line goes south

On 09/09/2019 09:25, Marland wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

The wording on this plaque seems pretty definitive

https://ads9rca.wordpress.com/2016/1...tarting-point/

Maybe distances to "City" are measured to St Paul's Post Office?

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Bogshed - Demo's And Rarities 1985-87

tim... September 9th 19 11:27 AM

Northern Line goes south

wrote:

[...]

around 26,000 apparently

only slightly fewer than those who still tell the pollsters they are going
to vote for them :-)

tim